North Georgia

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
Cohutta Wilderness area is 37,000 acres... it would definitely make a difference if 100 additional hunters were in there. It's somewhat rugged country but definitely not "rough as any hike you ever made" but whatever, good luck to you and to our wildlife, I guess no sense in arguing seems some folks just have a strange need to share this kind of info on public forums.

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
Cohutta Wilderness area is 37,000 acres... it would definitely make a difference if 100 additional hunters were in there. It's somewhat rugged country but definitely not "rough as any hike you ever made" but whatever, good luck to you and to our wildlife, I guess no sense in arguing seems some folks just have a strange need to share this kind of info on public forums.
The WMA is more than 95,000 acres, and perhaps you have not been back in there lately. It is that rough negotiating all the blow down. I still don't see how mentioning two of the main trails entering the wilderness is a problem. This is like telling someone which rd to take to get to the check station.

pk_

WKR
When I saw that several people were willing to name trails and areas in this thread. It gave me a real good idea of what kind of hunting to expect in those areas. Especially for someone traveling there with no prior history or experience.
Sounds like somewhere to go for an experience, get your butt kicked if you are willing to work that hard, and maybe run into an animal...

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
Well there you go @Professor, in less than one week you have successfully recruited at least one new hunter to join you in your area.

pk_

WKR
Well there you go @Professor, in less than one week you have successfully recruited at least one new hunter to join you in your area.
I have been sub’d to this thread for like a year. I Will likely never make it up there. Even If I did, judging by this thread, I likely wouldn’t kill anything anyways. Just think of it as a donation to your DNR 😂

mooster

WKR
A bear spot this year won’t help next year as they feed hard on tree then move on. Just hike in anywhere, look for scar and broken limbs, that’s your spot. Don’t expect to come back next year to that tree. However if you find a grove of white oaks, then check it each year. Bear hunting in n ga is just about boots on the ground until you find a spot. When it goes cold, move on.

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
I did a few day trips last fall into the Chattahoochee NF hunting for deer and hogs with no success. What an awesome resource to have so close, about 50 miles for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
they are in there. Lots of bears - some of them really big. Not many deer but a lot more mature bucks than on flat land. They have the hogs too, but they move around so much it is hard to pin them down. For hogs I would go south.

Hardly_Hangin

Lil-Rokslider
Is there any interest in doing a meet n' greet? Since there are no retailers in our area it would be a good opportunity to lay hands on some of these packs before buying one, or if you wanted to trade/sell.

Even if it's after this season - the opener coming up may not be ideal timing.

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
Is there any interest in doing a meet n' greet? Since there are no retailers in our area it would be a good opportunity to lay hands on some of these packs before buying one, or if you wanted to trade/sell.

Even if it's after this season - the opener coming up may not be ideal timing.
The idea has been thrown around, especially since there is nowhere to actually see and try on these packs in Georgia. I won't be hunting until the early rifle hunt next week.

robertchutch

Lil-Rokslider
Well im more than willing to hit any of the north georgia wmas for deer/hogs if anyone is looking for a hunting partner

ccc9092

FNG
Super late to this thread. Have been in Cohutta many times, mainly turkey hunting. There are some really good deer taken there but you have to put in the miles.

Like others have said, I'd enjoy meeting some members from the area. I live in the Chattanooga area.