North Georgia

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
I'll go as far as necessary to get to good bear country. I did 11 miles Sunday just looking for a turkey! But I was really looking for bear sign for fall.
I get it. I have walked the miles many times. I am just wondering how far you can go before you start getting closer to another access point.

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
I use OnX and CNF maps to avoid other access points intentionally. I want to go where no man has ever been. And yet.....you find an old empty Miller Lite can. In the middle of nowhere. 😁
Remember that all that land was cleared and all those grown over timber rds weren't always grown over.

I would love to. What are the dates?

Gotta get my Wyoming hunt sorted out but for northern GA bear - archery opens sep 11, smokepole opens oct 9, rifle the 16th. I live off Mulkey Gap these days.

Last edited:

FLATHEAD

WKR
I lived in Cleveland for a while and hunted
Lumpkin co.,,,,dang I love it up there.
Been saying I'm gonna come back and get
me a bear.
Trying to decide; Cohutta rifle or NF Black powder.

Steve1662

FNG
Anyone heading to TAC in Belvidere, Tennessee next weekend?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FLATHEAD

WKR
"but it is rough as any hike you ever made, and you can not camp in it."

Is this true? I havent seen anything in the regs regarding this.
Isnt the wilderness in the Chattahoochee NF?

Well there you go @Professor, in less than one week you have successfully recruited at least one new hunter to join you in your area.
90 percent of people will go 1 time and never return. I hunt there often and rarely see another person where I hunt. If it was anywhere else I would agree with you but too much blood sweat in tears are shed in them mountains for most people.

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider
"but it is rough as any hike you ever made, and you can not camp in it."

Is this true? I havent seen anything in the regs regarding this.
Isnt the wilderness in the Chattahoochee NF?
You can camp in the wilderness except a portion along the river near the waterfall on the Jack's River. It's an old homestead and perfect for camping (actually flat as opposed to most of the wilderness). It got overused and abused so camping is no longer allowed.

rayporter

WKR
big one from north Georgia, according to the rangers that weighed it and took measurements. being quartered did not bother them. they said it had been 3 years since they seen one comparable. could have been BS.
SPFunfv.jpg

pk_

WKR
It is that rough negotiating all the blow down.

What is all the deadfall from? I read the fire in the wilderness just burned the leaf litter but I am seeing swaths of hillsides completely killed off. I have a trip planned up there this year and after looking at the map closely I think some of the areas I was interested in may be out of the question 🤔

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider
What is all the deadfall from? I read the fire in the wilderness just burned the leaf litter but I am seeing swaths of hillsides completely killed off. I have a trip planned up there this year and after looking at the map closely I think some of the areas I was interested in may be out of the question 🤔
The fire. It killed the roots and is slowly bringing down the trees. Plus the usual small areas of deadfall from high winds and storms.

Reactions: pk_

Vethunter

FNG
Found this. Figured I would check in and see if anyone on this thread is planning to attend the Dec firearms hunt on Cohutta or may be interested in going. Planning to spend 4 days of the December hunt packed in and live out of my pack for the 4 days. Familiar with the area and have fished it over the years but will be 1st attempt hunting it. If this sounds of interest to anyone on this thread feel free to reach out. As it stands I will be going solo but definitely open for anyone or a group of people that may want to team up.

Hardly_Hangin

Lil-Rokslider
Found this. Figured I would check in and see if anyone on this thread is planning to attend the Dec firearms hunt on Cohutta or may be interested in going. Planning to spend 4 days of the December hunt packed in and live out of my pack for the 4 days. Familiar with the area and have fished it over the years but will be 1st attempt hunting it. If this sounds of interest to anyone on this thread feel free to reach out. As it stands I will be going solo but definitely open for anyone or a group of people that may want to team up.
PM sent