North Idaho Rifle Elk Hunt

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I am leaving tomorrow for a 6 day Rifle Elk hunt in North Idaho. I am backpacking in about 4 miles. Matt (Bitterroot Bulls) will be posting updates. I will also be in radio contact with Ross and keep you updated on his hunt as well.

There are some very nice bulls running around this year! Hopefully I can find one:) I also have a Deer, Bear, Wolf and Cougar tag.

My basic gear list:

300 RUM
230g Berger's
Vortex PST 4-16x50
G7 rangefinder
Kahlas 8x32 binos

T1
Mega Tarp with annex
Kifaru small stove
Tyvex
WM Badger GWS
Big Agnas air core
Soto stove

First Lite base layer
Kanab Pants
Spindrift jacket
Guide Jacket
Guide Beanie
First Lite Neck gaiter

SAM_1634.jpg

Hunting partner, taking in base camp on Sunday.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good luck Ryan....I hope you fill your tags. Are the resident deer tags good for bear or cougar like the non resident tags are or do you have to buy them all individually?

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Rosin, I think we have to buy them individually?? Not a 100% sure. I just buy the sportsman pack, which has them all in it.

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
I am leaving tomorrow for a 6 day Rifle Elk hunt in North Idaho. I am backpacking in about 4 miles. Matt (Bitterroot Bulls) will be posting updates. I will also be in radio contact with Ross and keep you updated on his hunt as well.

There are some very nice bulls running around this year! Hopefully I can find one:) I also have a tag for Deer, Bear, Wolf and Cougar.

My basic gear list:

300 RUM
230g Berger's
Vortex PST 4-16x50
G7 rangefinder
Kahlas 8x32 binos

T1
Mega Tarp with annex
Kifaru small stove
Tyvex
WM Badger GWS
Big Agnas air core
Soto stove

First Lite base layer
Kanab Pants
Spindrift jacket
Guide Jacket
Guide Beanie
First Lite Neck gaiter

SAM_1634.jpg

Hunting partner taking in base camp on sunday.

Good luck Ryan,

Is there elephants in that country? thats quite the gun/ammo combo!

Lorne

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Lorne, it's for shooting Bigfoot way out there!:)

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Ryan, Dirty D here wishing you luck.

So glad you FINALLY decided to do us a Live Hunt.

For all you Roksliders who don't know, Ryan has killed some huge bulls including a 360 with traditional archery gear. He's just been too humble, unlike Aron and me, to let us all in on his success. This will be a rare peek into how he gets it done.

As far as long range goes, he's as good as they come and has the rifle and talent to get it done way out there if needed.

Only weird thing is that he really does believe in Bigfoot, but hey, we all got vices.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I got a text from Ryan. He is having real trouble getting service to keep us updated. He busted his azz to get to where he could get me his message. He feels bad, but the "live" portion of this hunt is going to have to be scrapped, but he will fill us all in as soon as he possibly can.

He has seen a number of cows and calves, but he hasn't been able to catch up to any bulls yet. It sounds like he is really hunting hard.

Good luck Ryan!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the update Matt! Best of luck Ryan, can't wait to hear all about it when you get reception!

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Guys, sorry the live hunt fell through!

I hunted for 5 days. After Ross shot his elk, the whole drainage became very quiet for the next few days. Add that to 75-80 degree temps, nothing was moving. It did rain the last night out. I ended up taking a huge spike:) Hey a fat kid has to eat.

Yes, that is a wolf behind me.
SAM_1661.jpg

Don't make fun of my mega tarp's pitch. Its hard to find a flat spot in Idaho!
SAM_1637.jpg

The Kifaru stove looks mean in the dark.
SAM_1646.jpg

Ross's bull!
PA090626.jpg

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Great stuff Ryan. I'm gonna have to come down next year so you can let me tag along on an elk hunt sometime!!! Congrats to you and Ross both!