North Idaho wolves

sneaky

"DADDY"
I met a gentleman last winter rolling through town with a sxs with tracks on a trailer. He told me that f&g is required to give out coordinates of collared predators if requested. He was fully outfitted in thermal/NV and was heading into the high country for a week on his buggy to chase collar coordinates. This was in Feb. Never heard from him again but that guy had it down to a science. Might be worth looking into.
If he was using thermals and nvg's last year he was illegal...oh, wolves?... nevermind

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Deadfall

WKR
My wifes dad lives in post falls. I'll be there this winter after my tags in montana are filled. Only 5 hr drive from house to house.

Maybe link up this winter? If thas something you interested in

I haven't looked into it myself but he said their collars pinged twice a day with the coordinates and he had 2 years of saved data points from the pack he was tracking. It sounded like it was real time 2 times per day. He said when they got shots they did everything they could to not shoot the collared animal so they could keep getting data to track.
That sound awesome. Man if I only had the time......

From MN Here, land of 10,000 Wolves which our Dem Governor seem to ignore or give our DNR the right to Manage them now.....so moving on!

If you want to sit and Hunt them and watch Downwind, take a Frozen Turkey and set it in an open area you can scope, then take a 4'x4' piece of plywood and set it directly on top of the Turkey Centered, Then place the biggest rock you or you and a Buddy can center on top of the plywood. After a few days they will smell the Turkey and come for it, the key is to have the plywood big enough as they try to dig and get at the Turkey but they can't reach it due to the weight of the Rock and Plywood length. Works great for Yotes too..

They will keep coming back for the Turkey and will stay in the areas longer too. Of course be as scent free as possible when doing this. If you trap, place the traps where they will try to dig under the Plywood.
I liked your plan until it entailed taking out a new mortgage. My side by side and all the accesories was a pittance in comparison to that mythical sheet of plywood you speak of!😉

Deadfall

WKR
Just got back from post falls. Started looking into wolfing over there. Couple questions about nonresident licensing in Idaho.

Are wolves a game animal over there?
Do I have to buy the hunting license and tags? Just the nongame license and tags?
Don't really care what it costs. I'm after a 10 dog season is my goal

Are tags unlimited in the post falls north idaho area?

N.ID7803

WKR
Just got back from post falls. Started looking into wolfing over there. Couple questions about nonresident licensing in Idaho.

Do I have to buy the hunting license and tags? Just the nongame license and tags?

@Deadfall wolves are a game animal in Idaho.
Yes you have to buy a hunting license and tags. Tags are not unlimited, I think it’s capped at 15, but don’t quote me on it. Check the regs. Join The Foundation for Wildlife Management (f4wm.org) if you are serious. Good luck!

Deadfall

WKR
Yes you have to buy a hunting license and tags. Tags are not unlimited, I think it’s capped at 15, but don’t quote me on it. Check the regs. Join The Foundation for Wildlife Management (f4wm.org) if you are serious. Good luck!
Been looking in regs. Haven't seen anything for numbers. Of course that don't mean much with my dyslexic butt

Deadfall

WKR
Been looking in regs. Haven't seen anything for numbers. Of course that don't mean much with my dyslexic butt

Been serious about it for along time. Just considering expanding is all. Have been researching that group the last few months.

N.ID7803

WKR
Been serious about it for along time. Just considering expanding is all. Have been researching that group the last few months.
Its a legit group. I have been reimbursed for two wolves that I got and I know of many others that have as well. My take on it is that if I am not out there doing it at least I am helping contribute to the trappers and other hunters that are out doing it. When I get one its just a bonus.

sneaky

"DADDY"
There's no limit on how many wolf tags you can buy, or fill, now. Used to be 10 hunting and 10 trapping if you have the trapping certification. Then it went to 15 and 15. Now, it's unlimited.

sneaky

"DADDY"
F4WM is active in MT now as well. They've had several banquets this year and many new chapters started up.

I'll message you after work with some spots I have had heavy wolf pressure in the past 3 years. Not as good as what Ross can tell you, but I can point you in a real good spot if you have a way to get around in winter.

Deadfall

WKR
I'll message you after work with some spots I have had heavy wolf pressure in the past 3 years. Not as good as what Ross can tell you, but I can point you in a real good spot if you have a way to get around in winter.
Yeah I get around in winter

Mattdrake

FNG
I born and raised in north Idaho(post falls) and am just learning how to wolf hunt. Was wondering if anyone knows where these tricky bastards are roaming up in this area. Ive got all the right equipment. Just don’t know what area to go and set up in. Any help would be appreciated!
Have you had any luck? NR hunter headed for the Panhandle first week of November. Looking for any advice on location as I will be new to the area. I'll have 4-5 days. Wish I knew someone with some private land that could use some help but will take the hunt as it comes!

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback

Wrench

WKR
Stop by the rose lake gas station and peek at the wall of fame. There's some obvious stars.

Any major saddle in the cda or joe is a good spot to begin looking. Not the ones everyone rides a sxs to....but look for the ones that are less traveled to complete remote.....and take some coyote urine.

Wrench

WKR
You can quiz the biologists on the winter areas for the herds....expect bulls and moose to be above these areas and expect wolves to hammer them.

I remember riding my sled into rainy creek off i90 and seeing over 30 elk carcasses just on the road....but that's in January/February.

drra

FNG
I talked to a wolf hunter that said an easy way to shoot a wolf is to put a carcass on the ice in the winter in an area there are wolves, pour water on the carcuss and eventually .you'll have an opportunity. Hope to give this a try myself some day.