Island deer hunt

I know they used to but I'm not sure any more call the sleeping bear visitors center and they could tell you for sure.

Nevvon

FNG
I know they used to but I'm not sure any more call the sleeping bear visitors center and they could tell you for sure.
Thank you, I will look into it. I woud love to do any hunting there to be honest. What an amazing looking place. I do my "backcounty" hunting in the Pigeon River county, but there is not as much backcountry out there as there was when I was growing up. Still beautiful country.

Just saw it in the hunting guide today that yes they do allow bowhunting as well.
Can you link where you saw that? I see you can use a bow during the annual hunt, but I don't see where you can go out there and hunt anytime during regular bow season.

That's cool. I couldn't find anything on the National Park site, but that's pretty clear. My thing is I don't want to take a whole week to be out there for the gun hunt. If I'm taking a week to hunt somewhere I'm headed out of state.

It's not that far of a drive so a Thursday to Sunday hunt or something along those lines would be more suitable for me. The main issue I see with doing that is getting there and back. I don't think the ferries really run come mid to late September from what I'm seeing.

Yeah I'm thinking the ferry schedule mite be the big issue with wanting to hunt outside of the annual hunt. Basically looks like Friday through Sunday up until second weekend of October is all they have on the ferry schedule so far, and I think that's based on if they have enough tickets sold...and nothing mid week from the looks of it.

Last edited:

DLawhead

FNG
Looking forward to this hunt! I’m going with BigRed on here. We’re pretty much just going in blind, can’t wait!

Must be old pics cuz the hunt was just last week ending on Saturday the 2nd weather permitting...there's been years the guys were stuck there for an extra week due to the rough water on lake Michigan.

Marcjr47

FNG
WMmicheal20- Are you planning on going this year?
My brother in law and I are submitting our apps soon and had a few questions for you but I can’t PM you

Ask away,I'm unsure if I'm going this year since in process of finishing up building a house
New house

Marcjr47

FNG
I have been wanting a out west backpack hunt but with a family and children it’s just going to have to wait a few years. So we’re going to do this hunt which is only 3 hours away from home.
I’m leaning towards just running a multi day pack and pack everything in in packs but it appears a lot of guys bring carts? Would you suggest a cart or just to stay light and quarter the deer up and bag the meat?

If you plan to hunt the far side away from the dock I'd just back pack it in,but if your going to stay at the campground or somewhere near by I'd cart it, most of the guys who are taking carts are taking way too much stuff. I swear they must have an entire pickup load of stuff they take with them, including cabin/ wall tents with wood stoves, 20lb propane cylinders, and big coolers, stuff to be comfortable more than a necessity.

Marcjr47

FNG
That’s what I was kinda getting by a few threads I’ve found. I have a floor less seek outside tipi tent and wood stove I’ll pack in along with the necessities but not much else. I plan on hiking across the island and setting up camp there.
I was also wondering about a rifle case. Obviously I have to have one on the boat, but do I get to hold on to my case/gear on the boat ride? Cause I’d rather run a soft case that I can fold up and stuff on my pack for the hike. Or can I stash a hard case at the office once off the boat?