Island deer hunt

No you don't get to hold your gear they put it in a huge pile on the front of the boat and stash all rifles on the interior at the back row of seats on the boat, once your on the island you help unload the boat and sort your gear from everyone else and yes there's a barn where they hang deer and seal and age them for their records that's where guys stash their hard cases for the week so they don't have to tote them.IMG_20181103_111359312.jpg

Marcjr47

FNG
Okay cool, thank you! should be a good time over there! Hopefully you get to make it out this year!

Hi this year will be my first time doing this hunt and possibly doing it alone. Just wondering what everyone’s must have items are and any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Has anyone heard anything about the fairy not being able to run to the island this summer due to dock conditions

Nothing about dock condition but since it's part of the national Lakeshore they may not be running yet just like isle royal isn't being run.

MikeDaily

FNG
Hopefully dredging will be done by end of October. The above article says they will lose their July business not that the whole summer is cancelled.

I have talked to NPS about using a float plane or helicopter out of TC. No dice. I did get a quote last year for a private charter with one of the salmon boats: $450 each way. If the ferry doesn't run then I'd be open to pooling some cash together with other folks for the charter boat.

Hopefully dredging will be done by end of October. The above article says they will lose their July business not that the whole summer is cancelled.

I have talked to NPS about using a float plane or helicopter out of TC. No dice. I did get a quote last year for a private charter with one of the salmon boats: $450 each way. If the ferry doesn't run then I'd be open to pooling some cash together with other folks for the charter boat.
I would be interested

MikeDaily

FNG
Ferry is done for this year. Float planes and helicopters are a no-go.

I am likely to bow hunt the island in October under normal Michigan hunting regulations and then (if not cancelled by the NPS) will hunt the Oct 31-Nov 7 hunt.

I'm first on the list for a private charter in October and the hunt in November. It's $200 per person round trip, max of six guys with light gear: Backpacks, rifles, bows, tree stands. No big buck carts and coolers.
I need 2-5 more guys for bow hunting and 1-4 more for the management hunt.

If you're interested, shoot me a private message.

Ferry is done for this year. Float planes and helicopters are a no-go.

I am likely to bow hunt the island in October under normal Michigan hunting regulations and then (if not cancelled by the NPS) will hunt the Oct 31-Nov 7 hunt.

I'm first on the list for a private charter in October and the hunt in November. It's $200 per person round trip, max of six guys with light gear: Backpacks, rifles, bows, tree stands. No big buck carts and coolers.
I need 2-5 more guys for bow hunting and 1-4 more for the management hunt.

If you're interested, shoot me a private message.
I sent you a pm not sure I did it correctly

MikeDaily

FNG
NPS is allowing the hunt to go forward!

I’ve got a charter boat booked with Jimmy Munoz, manitou fishing charters. Going over on Friday Oct 30th at 7:00AM

Set to come back at Friday Nov 6th at 9:00AM

All this is weather dependent of course.

I've got room for 1-2 more people.

It’s $250/person and I had to reserve the boat for four people, so $1,000. If you’d like to ride over on this boat you’ll need to PayPal me the cash or work it out with Jimmy. I’m on the hook for $250 if some one doesn’t show up... Message me if you want to get on.

Good luck all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This sounds like a good time. 90% sure I am going to give it a go this year. Has anyone else tried to contact any other charter boats for drop off and pick up?

Is anyone going this year? Could anyone recommend footwear to bring out there? How are the ticks? Would a seekoutside tipi be a bad idea because of ticks and are there enough open areas to pitch one?

Fish_monger

Lil-Rokslider
Is anyone going this year? Could anyone recommend footwear to bring out there? How are the ticks? Would a seekoutside tipi be a bad idea because of ticks and are there enough open areas to pitch one?

I went last year. Didn’t see any ticks. I’d say about half of the guys were in some sort of hot tipi.

MikeDaily

FNG
Is there plenty of opening to camp? Or is there groups of tents everywhere because it’s hard to find camping spots?
I use a red cliff, there is plenty of space. Ticks were pretty mild, I'd find a few small ones on me every day or so, never had any get on my skin though. There is Lyme on the island.