North Platte Campsites

NDhunter1

FNG
Drew a tag south of Casper this year and was wondering if the campsites along the North Platte will be full with fishermen? It doesn't look like there are a lot of camping spots at those sites. I'm planning to have a few back-up plans, but wanted to know if those camping spots are always packed. Looking to arrive one day before opener.
Thanks

wytx

WKR
Depending on which area, river access may be limited , no camping at the access spots or it may be BLM and plenty of spots.
Fall is spawning trout so there will be fishermen and women out on the river.

JLW66

FNG
I have had good and bad luck at campsites along the river south of Casper. One night involved a police helicopter and some suburbans and sheriff trucks. Straight out of tv stuff. I have also had just a couple of people fishing and all quiet. Personally, i would seek out some BLM and camp there. If you are out looking for antelope, just keep an eye out for a spot. They are out there. Good Luck. I will be in Unit 68 this fall looking for a campsite myself.

JLW66

FNG
also, talk to the game and fish. They were very nice in Casper and even showed me a couple of places where people had camped in previous years

ranch

FNG
Grey reef has 2 camp sites. The upper one is usually busier then the lower. Never had any problems. Majority of the time Ive had the lower site all to myself. Only time Ive seen them both busy was during the flush. Not sure of any sites further North towards Casper. I believe the miracle mile also has some.

JLW66

FNG
Miracle mile does have some down by the dam for sure. I think they stay fairly busy there. Ive been there in November and there were people fishing and camping. There were spots open then, nice place. Big horn sheep just up the road grazing. I hope I am correct in saying that the outlet of the dam is part of the Miracle Mile area. I sure thought it is.

OP
N

NDhunter1

FNG
Thanks for the replies. We may do a day or 2 of fishing as well. Any tips on on how to catch them around the middle of September?
Thanks

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Casper, it depends on how far south you want to be, but there are plenty of places to camp along the river. Just outside of town there are a few established spots at Trapper's route and farther south Miracle mile has plenty of space on both sides of the river. There are also camping areas at each reservoir along the way at Alcova, Pathfinder or Seminoe. There will definitely be people fishing but it's not usually so full that you can't find a place to camp.