North Slope Boots

simpy16

FNG
I know this has been talked about in various threads but looking for a solid thread dedicated to it. Some has said Tuff Gear or LaCrosse but there is no way I would survive in those up there on the uneven ground. Currently have a pair of 10" Schnee's Beartooth boots and some 8" Scarpa Evolutions. I will wear a pair of gaiters as I always do while hunting to help with water mitigation. Curious what peoples thoughts are on which set of boots to take or if there is something else to take, possibly a 8" Crispi Nevada with the full rand and leather to help keep water out.

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
Took a pair of meindl with me last time, and ended up living in hip boots. If you can stay on gravel, you'll be ok with good boots and gaiters, otherwise get an ankle fit pair of hip boots. The pic.....those that know, know! Lol
d8bd8cc4501237b1755462d68ca6c391.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
My crispi hiland pro boot/gaiter combo was perfect. I also couldn’t get by without ankle support. They are ugly and expensive but worked awesome.

OP
simpy16

simpy16

FNG
My crispi hiland pro boot/gaiter combo was perfect. I also couldn’t get by without ankle support. They are ugly and expensive but worked awesome.
Mcseal2 I found the other Alaska Caribou Boots thread and started reading through that as well as remember your thread on your experience up there. The look of the boots dont matter a ton to me but the cost with them is the biggest thing to get over, I also cannot try them on anywhere locally so not sure what options I would have to order and return.

I am sending you a message about a few other questions on your hunt last fall. Thanks for chiming in!

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
I wore Crispi Wild Rock GTX insulated boots with Kuiu gaiters and never got wet feet, even in 4-6 inches of water. The ankle support was crucial in the tundra tussocks.

bmrfish

WKR
Took a pair of meindl with me last time, and ended up living in hip boots. If you can stay on gravel, you'll be ok with good boots and gaiters, otherwise get an ankle fit pair of hip boots. The pic.....those that know, know! Lol
d8bd8cc4501237b1755462d68ca6c391.jpg

Sums up my feelings succinctly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
simpy16

simpy16

FNG
I wore Crispi Wild Rock GTX insulated boots with Kuiu gaiters and never got wet feet, even in 4-6 inches of water. The ankle support was crucial in the tundra tussocks.
what time of year were you there? Did you need the 400g insulation? I am thinking of going with Crispi Guides.

Hip waders with what we called Bama socks. Wore that combo all over Kodiak when I worked there. You need to get a larger size for the hip boots to use the Bama socks as they are pretty thick.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
All the spots I've hunted up there would flood 8" or 10" boots as soon as you take any substantive walk away from camp. Hip waders the only way to go.
Yep, and most places on the slope, you will be crossing braided streams and drainage where you'll need more than boots and gaiters.

carter33

WKR
I don’t think anyone claiming any single boot is perfect is accurate. I have hunted the north slope multiple times and the terrain and amount of sloppy tundra/water can really vary. Last trip I wore a more standard scarpa mountain boot, it was great for stability but I filled em with water a few times even with gaiters sloshing through some lower tundra areas. I also wouldn’t have wanted to cover the miles we did in hip boots or rubber lacrosse type boots especially on a few mile trip with caribou loaded on the pack back to camp. On this trip we brought wiggys over boot waders to cross streams and they held up but I don’t think they would of on the tundra for too long.

If weight isn’t an issue I’d bring a couple options. If weight is an issue it depends on how you want to hunt. A lot of people don’t go far from camp, a lacrosse or rubber boot could work. If you’re in a good spot you probably won’t need to go far. On the other hand if you have to cover some miles I would prefer some standard mountain styles boots even if they get wet a couple times. I brought sealskin socks and wore those after my boots were soaked. If I brought the rubber boots my feet still would have been pretty soaked just from sweat as opposed to tundra gunk water.

I realize this doesn’t solve your question but I don’t really think a 100% solution exists until your at your spot. Even from year to year it can vary a lot.

OP
simpy16

simpy16

FNG
I don’t think anyone claiming any single boot is perfect is accurate. I have hunted the north slope multiple times and the terrain and amount of sloppy tundra/water can really vary. Last trip I wore a more standard scarpa mountain boot, it was great for stability but I filled em with water a few times even with gaiters sloshing through some lower tundra areas. I also wouldn’t have wanted to cover the miles we did in hip boots or rubber lacrosse type boots especially on a few mile trip with caribou loaded on the pack back to camp. On this trip we brought wiggys over boot waders to cross streams and they held up but I don’t think they would of on the tundra for too long.

If weight isn’t an issue I’d bring a couple options. If weight is an issue it depends on how you want to hunt. A lot of people don’t go far from camp, a lacrosse or rubber boot could work. If you’re in a good spot you probably won’t need to go far. On the other hand if you have to cover some miles I would prefer some standard mountain styles boots even if they get wet a couple times. I brought sealskin socks and wore those after my boots were soaked. If I brought the rubber boots my feet still would have been pretty soaked just from sweat as opposed to tundra gunk water.

I realize this doesn’t solve your question but I don’t really think a 100% solution exists until your at your spot. Even from year to year it can vary a lot.
That is helpful and probably why the answers very so much from person to person. Weight is only an issue with flying from lower 48 to Alaska but might be something I can dial in to see if I can pack something like that. I do have access to Wiggy's but know those are more for stream crossings than anything. I would have to buy rubber boots as I do not own anything like that as they are not needed as much in my area.

mcseal2

WKR
I agree nothing is perfect, but these ugly boots were the closest thing I found. They are probably going to AK with me every time I don’t think I’ll be wearing waders full time. I plan to take them to Kodiak next year. They are expensive but so are AK trips. Dry feet and shortcuts through standing water are nice too.

They aren’t for everyone, but with the plantar fasciitis issues I’ve fought they work way better for me than any Lacrosse or Muck boot I’ve tried.

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
what time of year were you there? Did you need the 400g insulation? I am thinking of going with Crispi Guides.
The first eight days of September 2019. Yes, the 400g of insulation were necessary IMO. It got cold at times and my feet were warm and dry the whole trip. Not overheated and sweaty, and we put on a lot of miles humping the tundra.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I agree nothing is perfect, but these ugly boots were the closest thing I found. They are probably going to AK with me every time I don’t think I’ll be wearing waders full time. I plan to take them to Kodiak next year. They are expensive but so are AK trips. Dry feet and shortcuts through standing water are nice too.

They aren’t for everyone, but with the plantar fasciitis issues I’ve fought they work way better for me than any Lacrosse or Muck boot I’ve tried.

Do you actually have a pair of those in your possession? Any chance you could do a quick photo heavy write up of them? I’m betting there are a few guys out there who like me, like the idea of those boots but are hesitant to spend 600.00 on such a specifically designed boot if that makes sense.

few reviews on them on this thread

mcseal2

WKR
Thinhorn if you want more of a review than the one above let me know what questions you have. I can take more pics too. I still have and like the boots.

They are a little narrow so I went up a half size. They rub a little on my big toes after consecutive days in them. I now put a wrap of Leukotape over my big toes before a hunt and have zero issues that way. The heel slip stopped as they broke in.

I’d buy them again. I have worn them sorting cattle in mud a few times, my feet feel so much better after than if I’d worn rubber boots.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thinhorn if you want more of a review than the one above let me know what questions you have. I can take more pics too. I still have and like the boots.

They are a little narrow so I went up a half size. They rub a little on my big toes after consecutive days in them. I now put a wrap of Leukotape over my big toes before a hunt and have zero issues that way. The heel slip stopped as they broke in.

I’d buy them again. I have worn them sorting cattle in mud a few times, my feet feel so much better after than if I’d worn rubber boots.

I’d just love a sort of comprehensive set of photos, the gator opened up so I can see inside the boot etc, things you’d consider weaknesses and strengths etc. also, have you used other crispi boots?

Clarktar

WKR
Those Crispi boots look like a mountaineering boot.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

What hip waders you all reconnect. Looked at the frog togg hip waders with neoprene booties. Or do you just go lacrosse and call it good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk