Northern BC mountain rifle

400 yards and in I vote 308. In a light rifle the ballistic advantage of a WSM could likely be offset by recoil induced accuracy impacts. You'll enjoy shooting a 308 that much more.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
Rackstar, I was in your same situation 2 years ago. I ended up going with a .30-06 montana, it was lighter than the wsm, only slightly heavier than the 84m, and I was also somewhat concerned about brown, furry, ill-tempered critters. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a 7mm-08, it was one of the calibres I considered I just couldn't get my hands on one in time for hunting season.

OP
Rackstar

Rackstar

FNG
I’m thinking the smaller caliber equipted with bear spray is the more logical way of thinking. I spend many days a year in the bush up here, never been charged yet, doesn’t mean it won’t happen, but I do believe a cloud of bear spray will buy enough time to defuse the situation, or give me time to make a kill shot.

Thanks for all the opinions to help with my usless obsessive choice on rifle caliber. Can you tell it’s january? Lol

I’m thinking the smaller caliber equipted with bear spray is the more logical way of thinking. I spend many days a year in the bush up here, never been charged yet, doesn’t mean it won’t happen, but I do believe a cloud of bear spray will buy enough time to defuse the situation, or give me time to make a kill shot.
Or under less optimal conditions, the bear spray will end up in your face and allow the bear enough time to decide which part of you he’d like to eat first.
Just making a joke, but it does say something as to where I stand regarding bear spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Rackstar

Rackstar

FNG
I personally never pack it.

I prefer fire power. Only had to put 1 black bear down, I was hunting a boar and the sow he was rutting with charged me, bang flop twitch with the 300wm

Has anyone shot a Tikka 300 and a kimber
300wsm? Did you notice a difference?

I’ve heard some say the kimber has less felt recoil due to stock design.

AK, what bullet have you been using in your short maggy?

Trees91

WKR
Deff have not ruled out the 30-06,
But in the Montana it has the same barrel length as the WSM. So I figured I’m either going in at 308 or 300wsm

The 30-06 is like a 1986 Toyota pickup, turns over every try and gets you where you need to go. May not be the fastest, or the newest, but it gets the job done.

If it wasn’t for those angry brown things i bump into, I’d go 7mm/08 and not look back. As there’s no question i could put the bullet where it belongs with a 7-08 easier then the wsm.

Trees91

There’s a couple sub alpines in my area too on sale In 308 and 300wsm,

Does your POI change when you shoot with or without the kimber break?
Yeah POI did change. My particular load and gun it drops a couple inches low and to the left. It doesn’t so much kick hard without the brake but it really jumps. Much more enjoyable with the brake on. Just toss ear plugs in when hunting if you have time before the shot.

TomAZ

Lil-Rokslider
300 warm or 300 wm! Nothing either one of those won’t do. If you really want to stretch out the range, 300 win mag so you can use the heavy VLD bullets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a Montana in 308 that’s been a heck of a rifle. I have zero complaints with that gun, it’s my go to mountain rifle.

OP
Rackstar

Rackstar

FNG
Seems like there’s a lot of Montana 308 lovers

Must be for a reason! I sold my Tikka to get away from the harsher recoil and up my accuracy, I think I’m going to put the bullet where it counts and grab a 308

Although i may change my mind 10 more times before ordering , I want to thank you guys for the responses and knowledge. Good on ya guys!

Happy trails.

RS

Decker9

WKR
For years, I thought the same line as you rack, I packed a T3 300 wm, and loved it.... until I picked up a compact rifle, I notice a night/day difference while it strapped to my pack. I always had grizzlys in mind is why I packed the 300, but honestly, if a bear charges, I probably wouldn’t shoot until it was damn near at my barrel, in which, I don’t think many bears would know the difference between a magnum and non magnum.

Iv seen some good gouges in peoples eyebrows from heavy kickers and steep angle shooting. I personly would vote for the non magnum in a compact rig, personally, I’m loving the 6.5 in a Swede, with a 20” pipe as my mountain rifle, the 7-08 or 308, would be excellent choices as well. Just my thought 🍻

OP
Rackstar

Rackstar

FNG
For years, I thought the same line as you rack, I packed a T3 300 wm, and loved it.... until I picked up a compact rifle, I notice a night/day difference while it strapped to my pack. I always had grizzlys in mind is why I packed the 300, but honestly, if a bear charges, I probably wouldn’t shoot until it was damn near at my barrel, in which, I don’t think many bears would know the difference between a magnum and non magnum.

Iv seen some good gouges in peoples eyebrows from heavy kickers and steep angle shooting. I personly would vote for the non magnum in a compact rig, personally, I’m loving the 6.5 in a Swede, with a 20” pipe as my mountain rifle, the 7-08 or 308, would be excellent choices as well. Just my thought 🍻

Decker, I recall you’re Swede did you well this August. Was a great ram, loved the story and the white neck on that sheep. Yup I decided not to go magnum, I have no shame to say I just can’t shoot as well with them. Do you tote bear spray aswell? I have mixed emotions on it, but it’s always nice to have a secondary option. Good luck this year bud! August isn’t far off! I’m heading in for a couple weeks at the end of August for caribou and elk (with a sheep tag of course).

Decker9

WKR
Decker, I recall you’re Swede did you well this August. Was a great ram, loved the story and the white neck on that sheep. Yup I decided not to go magnum, I have no shame to say I just can’t shoot as well with them. Do you tote bear spray aswell? I have mixed emotions on it, but it’s always nice to have a secondary option. Good luck this year bud! August isn’t far off! I’m heading in for a couple weeks at the end of August for caribou and elk (with a sheep tag of course).

Thank you kindly rack, my cape should be back from the tannery any time now, Iv pretty much gobbled up all the table fare, all I need now is my mount lol.

I don’t pack bear spray no, I have thought about it a lot tho. Iv put in a lot of time with the Kifaru gun bearer, I can have my rifle unbuckled as fast as I could bear spray I believe. Packing my rifle on the back of my pack, is a no go for me, it’s either in my bearer or in my hands. I have to put a lot of my stress free of bears, towards my dog tho. She’s as alert as a horse, she’s been the best side arm Iv owned yet. If we’re in the timber or thick areas, I always have a bell on my dog, and often myself too. Being aware of the surroundings tho, is number 1 imo.

One time, my dog warned me of a grizzly just up the creek that we were walking up, if I was alone, it coulda been a close call. One other time, she saved my dad and myself from a surely bad day (grizzly running into camp).
I don’t think I could head out into bear country solo without my dog anymore, I feel she’s an important part of my mountain gear.

I got flack from my family (magnum lovers) about downsizing my caliber, but like you, I’m not much for recoil, I have boney shoulders! Haha.

The seasons not quite finished yet :). I plan on hitting the goat hills up around Smithers in a few weeks here. I was up a few weeks ago, found a stud of a billy on day 1, but day 2-3-4 were all bad weather and fog.

Good luck to you as well this fall, them early season bou are delicious!! Sounds like a great combo hunt you have planned :).

If your applying for sheep leh, don’t forget they need to be in by early February :).

Cheers!!

Hey guys,
I’m looking for some other perspectives and opinions on the best caliber for my needs in a all around mountain rifle for up here in BC.

I’ve been through many calibers before 270, 243, 30-06, 300wm, and 300wsm

I’ve decided on the rifle and this mountain rifle will be a Kimber Montana.

This rifle would be used for caribou, stones sheep, mountain goat, elk , moose primarily.

I toyed with the thought of going with a light recoiling 7mm-08, but being a solo hunter 90% of the time, in grizzly country, I feel I might feel vulnerable with a smaller gun like such.

I’m going back and forth between the 308 loaded with 165 NP , or a 300wsm 168 ttsx.

IS the 300wsm going 300fps faster with a bunch of extra recoil going to make a diff in real world hunting? My absolute max with a good rest is 400 yards on big game.

Anyone with these Montana’s have any opinions? My prev mountain rig was a T3 300wm, I could shoot It, I just did not like to.

Thanks in advance

Boils down to a few things. What ranges are you realistically hunting.
I think a 7mm-08 is more than suffiicient even with bears. Load it with a good TTSX and get some speed out of it or a trusty accubond. I dont care what bear it is, a 127gr LRX even out of a creedmoor at 2800fps is going to be in a world of hurt.

Generally speaking the 84m will be lighter than a 8400. You can easily do a sub 6lb scoped montana.
Gary Flach can do some nice lightweight mods as well. PM me and I can show you my latest build from him and can put you in contact.

I packed a creedmoor this past year in the land of BCs biggest black bears solo camping/huntinf. I wouldnt stress about it and honestly carry the gun with some heavy loads in the gun for hiking around if it makes you feel better.

Bigger isnt necessarily better or even needed.

OP
Rackstar

Rackstar

FNG
I agree, I wouldn't let the threat of bears dictate which rifle I take. I carry a 6.5 CM on Kodiak as my only rifle and will be using a different one as dedicated summer backpacking grizz hunt rifle. Of course more horsepower can be nice and give you more of a feel good, but a 7-08 would great for what you are looking for no doubt. That said on dedicated brown bear hunts I will be using a 338-06 or 300 WSM.....but my wife still uses a 308 win and it has worked on multiple grizzlies and even a good size brown bear without issue.

What kind of critters have you taken with the 6.5 creed? I’ve been off and on interested in that caliber.

Good choice for the bear gun, our pathetic government currently has grizzly bear hunting banned.. so when that comes back it will warrant a thumper.

What kind of critters have you taken with the 6.5 creed? I’ve been off and on interested in that caliber.

Good choice for the bear gun, our pathetic government currently has grizzly bear hunting banned.. so when that comes back it will warrant a thumper.

Threw you a PM.
I'm not saying don't own a bear gun but I wouldn't hinge the decision completely off the chance you have a problem with a grizz. Hell I like packing my 375H&H depending on what I am doing. I tend to have rifles for specific purposes.

If it were a mountain gun, my sole goal is to get it as light as possible to pack and as accurate as possible for the ranges you plan on hunting.

Your needs and requirements pretty well describe a 270

Light recoil
Easy to find premium ammo
Plenty enough for big bears.

I have friends who have hunted brown bears and polar bears with a 270 with no complaints.

30/06 is never the wrong choice either.

280 intrigues me but ammo availability is the hang up for me.

I have a FEW LW mountain rifles and my Fav is my Rem M600 / M7 - Its a M600 action with a M7 hindged floor plate and m7 Timney trigger ! 22 " RKS SS barrel chambered in 284 WIN ! It wears a Brown Pounder Kevlar stock and has a 3.5 -10 Leupold VX111 B&C scope ! At 6.5 lbs its NICE ! 284 Win has a BIT more power then the 6,5 CM and 7-08 308 class cartridges but not as much Recoil as the Short Mags do. I LIKE it !

Cheers WP

Put me in the 300wsm camp.
First put a good Limbsaver recoil pad on it. Then a muzzle brake if the pad is not enough. 180Gr projectile and I would call it a rap.

I like the .308 as well. So I cannot argue with that either. Again with 180gr ammo.

Not on your list but I like the 7mm Rem mag too. Long action caliber though.