Northern Colorado archery elk

I picked up an archery tag for a good unit on the reissued list this morning. Without naming GMU's it is just west of I25 in northern Colorado and requires about 4 points to draw. I am an experienced and often times successful archery elk hunter, and I'll be putting boots on the ground this weekend and every weekend until the season scouting it. I've never personally hunted this unit, but several friends of mine have and I've had phone conversations with them already and have a good idea of a couple of spots to begin my scouting. I've also got several clients with properties bordering the national forest up there that can help with some of the challenging access areas.

With all that being said, please DM ME if you've got experience in this area in September. I would love to chat. No need to discuss any details on this thread that would give any more information than should be on a public forum. I will delete this thread eventually. Just trying to do some some more networking and leg work without blowing up a unit online. I live in northern Colorado, not far from the unit. Thanks in advance

def90

WKR
You must be west of Ft Collins.. no need to be secret about it.

Should be no different than any other unit in Colorado.. the cows will be where the water, food, and cover are and as we get closer to the rut the bulls will be where the cows are.

This should probably be in the elk section?

OP
Lil-Rokslider
You must be west of Ft Collins.. no need to be secret about it.

Should be no different than any other unit in Colorado.. the cows will be where the water, food, and cover are and as we get closer to the rut the bulls will be where the cows are.

This should probably be in the elk section?
Interesting response.......

I purposely didn't write anything that would come up in a Google search to blow up the unit. And I didn't name a unit or town for the same reason. You're a WKR, you should know the drill. I've gotten a lot of responses in my inbox like I asked, and this is a unique unit in regards to access, limited water, and an abundance of recreational activity. I know how to find elk. If you've got anything helpful, DM me please.

Thread has been moved to "elk"

Thanks

def90

WKR
Interesting response.......

I purposely didn't write anything that would come up in a Google search to blow up the unit. And I didn't name a unit or town for the same reason. You're a WKR, you should know the drill. I've gotten a lot of responses in my inbox like I asked, and this is a unique unit in regards to access, limited water, and an abundance of recreational activity. I know how to find elk. If you've got anything helpful, DM me please.

Thread has been moved to "elk"

Thanks

Responding to questions about a limited draw unit of which requires more than a point or two is not the same as responding to questions about an OTC unit..

Guys aren't patiently waiting 5 years to acrue points and then jump on that spot they read about online.

Besides.. how many units are in Northern Co "just west of I25"?

Last edited:
OP
Lil-Rokslider
Responding to questions about a limited draw unit of which requires more than a point or two is not the same as responding to questions about an OTC unit..

Guys aren't patiently waiting 5 years to acrue points and then jump on that spot they read about online.
True, but guys do snag tags on the reissued list without using any points less than a month before the season. And plenty of guys have 2-4 points and don't know how they plan to spend them yet. I'm not interested in giving them suggestions publicly.

As far as I'm concerned, if it requires less than 5 points I'm not talking about it on a public forum. Private messaging is a beautiful thing

cnelk

WKR
In all my years of elk hunting Colorado that unit has never interested me.
Too many obstacles.

Good luck

OP
Lil-Rokslider
In all my years of elk hunting Colorado that unit has never interested me.
Too many obstacles.

Good luck
Totally get it. There are a pile of obstacles, and way easier units to navigate. But it's always intrigued me, so I'm giving it a go. Maybe I'll never have any desire to hunt it again after September. We'll see