Northern Montana Mule Deer Hunt Boot Question

First time ever to Montana and first time hunting West in early November. I’ve been using some Lowa Renegades that work great but want to hear from you pros if my toes are going to freeze off in them?? 😅

Djacker

WKR
This is totally up to you, you know your feet better than anyone. Wear whatever comfortable. I wear non insulated boots all year, except for when I'm stand hunting whitetails in Dec.

I wore non insulated goretex salomons in Montana when there was a foot or two of snow. my feet never got cold even when it dropped into negative as long as we kept moving. Sitting on a windy ridge glassing could get cold so if you are worried, you could drape something over your feet while you sit. I think gaiters helped alot also. I think insulated boots will just make your feet colder from the sweat.

OP
T
Okay, that’s reassuring. I think I’ll be fine with some good socks and gators then

hunterjmj

WKR
I wear non-insulated unless it’s well below 0°. My feet run warm and I hate wearing big bulky stuff unless I absolutely have to. It’ll probably be windy so I’d worry more about keeping your core warm.

hobbes

WKR
It really depends on the temps. In early November the range of possible temps is probably -20 to 50 degrees. I wear non insulated if I'm moving but if it's zero and I'm glassing more than walking, which is normal for me, I'll wear something insulated.

Firestone

WKR
Totally depends on the year and how much sitting you are gonna do. I have friend that uses trail runners year round. Even in feet of snow. Doesn't bother him I guess

KHNC

WKR
Are you hunting up there with an outfitter? If so , which one? Country is steep and nasty. A lot of the time the outfitters up there will just drop you off at a gated road and tell you to start walking and looking.

OP
T
Are you hunting up there with an outfitter? If so , which one? Country is steep and nasty. A lot of the time the outfitters up there will just drop you off at a gated road and tell you to start walking and looking.
I’m actually going with a friend who has some leads

hobbes

WKR
Northern Montana is really general. NW is steep thick mountains and NE is anything from riverbottoms to breaks, to rolling plains.

hobbes

WKR
I'm not hunting that exact country but still know that it's much more mellow country than NW. In fact it's not steep and nasty besides maybe climbing up and down a coulee here and there. The boots you wear will mostly be based on the weather while you are there. It was warm and stupid windy in the region during the second week of November last year. A few years ago it was snowing sideways and you could only stand to glass or hike with the wind at your back.