Northern Nevada FNG -- first tag ever ----- ELK in AK!

Mid life here but always a sportsman just never a hunter until 54. I go on hunts in AK with a semi-strong back, binoculars, and a reasonable attitude provided I have coffee. I live in Nevada but I have a small place in Alaska where we primarily fish until now. A good friend and Alaska resident tosses out the idea of us putting in for this long shot Elk tag on Etolin Island. They put in every year with no luck. I have never even had a hunting license. Well by now I am sure you know who drew the tag.

I have been a shooter for a long time but never a hunter. This week I mounted my first scope on my new Tikka 30-06. Here are the first three at 100. I am sorry to say the worst shot was the third. This was freehand on a bench so I hope to get out with a sled and punch it out to 200 before trying different ammo for the hunt.

This place is wealth of knowledge!! Thanks everyone for all of your contributions that all us FNGs are soaking up. The holes in this paper are directly related to to information I have stolen here!
972FA33B-2F60-49C4-8FF9-41930B34D9A8.jpeg

Nice! Can’t go wrong with a Tikka. Good luck up there and report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
NevadaMike
I am back in Ketchikan headed home with my head hanging low. As has been said here before that island is a beast. We managed to cover over 20 miles that we remember to record on OnX or Strava. Every step was uphill, wet and muddy. Do not show up without micro spikes! Your knees, hips and lungs need to be solid. Don't expect any trails. We also boated around to several coves and took the dink to shore for the day. We saw some limited elk signs but we only saw three deer. The wolves always let us know they were there either with howling or fresh tracks in the mud. Fortunately I have a boat and a cabin nearby so we could bring a ridiculous amount of gear to stay comfortable at night affordably. I can't imagine what the cost would be for the hunt otherwise. When we were headed home a group of hunters came down who had flown in and we took them back with us. Their report was the same. Having said all that discouraging stuff let me say WOW amazing country. I don't regret it for a minute and I would go again in a heartbeat. I spoke to the local ADF&G biologist and the elk numbers are way down so I would go with lower expectations for elk and attitude for the adventure. I can't get pictures to load but I will try again.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
You are a better man than I. All those AK elk hunts look way to painful for me to attempt. Good for you!

AKhunter6

FNG
I am back in Ketchikan headed home with my head hanging low. As has been said here before that island is a beast. We managed to cover over 20 miles that we remember to record on OnX or Strava. Every step was uphill, wet and muddy. Do not show up without micro spikes! Your knees, hips and lungs need to be solid. Don't expect any trails. We also boated around to several coves and took the dink to shore for the day. We saw some limited elk signs but we only saw three deer. The wolves always let us know they were there either with howling or fresh tracks in the mud. Fortunately I have a boat and a cabin nearby so we could bring a ridiculous amount of gear to stay comfortable at night affordably. I can't imagine what the cost would be for the hunt otherwise. When we were headed home a group of hunters came down who had flown in and we took them back with us. Their report was the same. Having said all that discouraging stuff let me say WOW amazing country. I don't regret it for a minute and I would go again in a heartbeat. I spoke to the local ADF&G biologist and the elk numbers are way down so I would go with lower expectations for elk and attitude for the adventure. I can't get pictures to load but I will try again.
Hey Mike, I just drew the same tag. I was wondering if you could PM me. Id like to talk about the hunt since the island is completely new to me.