Northern NM Lion question

Coldtrail

WKR
Looking like I'm going to be in Northern NM early to Mid winter, likely Carson Forest and points east. I'll be there long enough my dogs will come with and be nice to keep the fat off them by putting a lion or two in the tree. Not looking to fill tags, just be able to run once and a while when I have time, just me and maybe a friend's son who lives there but doesn't hunt lions, all tree & release.

What can a guy expect here? Is it going to be overrun with outfitters & the tracked UTV army after every snow?' I'm not new to this or expecting every fresh snow morning to be a gentleman's hunt, just never been to NM before and looking for any insight on what a guy can expect as every area & outfitter base can be a little different to deal with. Likely be running regardless but nice to get some info from anyone that frequents the area.

dtrkyman

WKR
Definitely lots of road access, I do not hunt cats but would think there is plenty of room to roam.

Plenty of cats as well, any kind of snow could be a challenge!

I am hopefull for this winter though, we have had more moisture this year than in a long time so hopefully that translates into a good snow season!

I don’t think you’ll have an issue with crowds here. I’ve always wanted to tag along looking for cats. Drop me a PM if you want someone to show you around.

OP
C

Coldtrail

WKR
What's the bobcat population like? A guy can hunt those without much worry about zones shutting down etc and the dogs aren't fussy on felines....

dtrkyman

WKR
No lack of them, though they seem to be thicker down in the flatlands than up in elevation but that is mostly specualtion. But I see them a lot down along the river!