Northern Utah Turkey Hunting

Going to fly out to help a buddy try and kill his first animal. He lives in Ogden.

1. Does it make sense to put in for limited draw or is general alright?
2. I saw a WMA in Huntsville, anyone know if it atleast has turkeys there (not asking for any ones spot)?
3. Rio or Merriams in that neck of the woods?
4. Are folks open to letting you hunt their private property for turkeys? Heard they are considered a problem?

Any other info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

twall13

WKR
I've only hunted turkeys a few times so I'm still figuring it out but I'd say the limited entry is worth it if that week works for you. It's closer to the mating season and they'll respond better to calls. I typically do general season to get me a month to hunt but I haven't hunted the areas you are talking about. At this point I think the application period has ended for limited entry anyway but it's good information for the future.

Hunting private property is going to be a mixed bag, some places they have become a problem and owners will gladly let you, other places they may not. It's going to depend a lot on who the private land owner is.

Again, I've only been twice so my knowledge of turkey hunting is pretty basic. I have noticed, however, that there is a healthy turkey population and a lot of them are young and dumb. At least comparing them to what I read about turkey hunting tactics, they aren't too wise to hunters yet. Maybe that is because they haven't been hunted until recent years, I don't know for sure. My brother was able to sneak up on a group of them and kill a jake without any calls. He just followed them, gaining ground when they put their heads down to feed. He'd stop moving when they looked up at him, but they would soon go back to feeding. He followed them for about 400-500 yards to close the gap but got within about 30 yards and killed one.

Last year my younger brother got one when we were driving to our location. We saw a jake out in the field off the side of the dirt road. When I stopped my truck he got nervous so I rolled down the window and gave him a quick cluck. He instantly calmed down and went back to feeding while my brother got out of the truck walked into the field and shot him. Again... not the smartest birds. They tasted great though. Good luck.

i heard from somene that they hunt for turkey above the bountifil B. has anyone had any luck there? I saw on a regional map that it was ok to hunt there but when i checked it out - there was a residential area at the bottom of the trail so im assuming after a certain altitude it would be ok to shoot. i just moved here from alaska and looking to put my mossberg to work. I dont need you exact spot but where abouts in northern utah to yall bag turkeys?

thanks - chuk

I got on birds last year at a few spots between Lewiston and Ogden. Found birds on National Forest and some of the walk-in access areas.