Northwest Alaska Backcountry Outfitters

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
Working up a DIY caribou trip out of Kotzebue and was wondering if anyone has used their gear on a hunt? Seems like they have good, up to date equipment to rent. Just don't want any surprises.

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
The weather up that way can change in a hurry, and after having done the trip into 26A this past August. I think I'd want the security of having my own gear and KNOWING it will perform like it should. We had a weather change from 72 degrees, down to 22 degrees and a sustained 40mph wind with gusts up to 50 mph....in just 5 hours. Liquid was freezing sideways off rocks before it could get blown off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

OP
Kerrbow

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
The weather up that way can change in a hurry, and after having done the trip into 26A this past August. I think I'd want the security of having my own gear and KNOWING it will perform like it should. We had a weather change from 72 degrees, down to 22 degrees and a sustained 40mph wind with gusts up to 50 mph....in just 5 hours. Liquid was freezing sideways off rocks before it could get blown off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I understand entirely where you are coming from. The only problem is i will be 71yoa this year and really don't want to spend $ 800-1000 on tents and pads for my probable only trip to Alaska to hunt. Those extreme weather tents are terribly expensive. Need to make a decision soon though.