Northwest Montana hunt trip

ZEKE3344

FNG
Just got back from hunting in Kalispell and Missoula area, spent 2 weeks there. Hunted Chippy Creek, Hubbart Reservoir, Coney Peak, Pyramid Pass, Sunflower Mountain, Black Mountain etc. Saw lots of Wolf sign and could here them houling. Went through a hunter check point outside of Missoula and here is what was posted on the board, 719 hunters checked through and the game harvested was 2 whitetail does and one elk. At that point we packed up and went back home. Won't be going back to northwest Montana. We did see probably 10 muley does and one cow elk after many miles. We are not truck hunters and hunted hard. Did not even use my camping gear do to we could not find enough game sign to warrant going after. I am 56 years old and had hunted in Montana in the late 1970's and 80's. What a shame this is. The only variable that I know has changed is Wolves.

PA Hunter

WKR
I hunted Elk a little North of you in 2012 With Elk Creek Outfitters they put 20 hunters a week through and I know no hunters got an elk out of there the whole season. Yes plenty of wolves.

Biminabe

FNG
I hunted Elk a little North of you in 2012 With Elk Creek Outfitters they put 20 hunters a week through and I know no hunters got an elk out of there the whole season. Yes plenty of wolves.
+1
e.png

mt100gr.

WKR
Just got back from hunting in Kalispell and Missoula area, spent 2 weeks there. Hunted Chippy Creek, Hubbart Reservoir, Coney Peak, Pyramid Pass, Sunflower Mountain, Black Mountain etc. Saw lots of Wolf sign and could here them houling. Went through a hunter check point outside of Missoula and here is what was posted on the board, 719 hunters checked through and the game harvested was 2 whitetail does and one elk. At that point we packed up and went back home. Won't be going back to northwest Montana. We did see probably 10 muley does and one cow elk after many miles. We are not truck hunters and hunted hard. Did not even use my camping gear do to we could not find enough game sign to warrant going after. I am 56 years old and had hunted in Montana in the late 1970's and 80's. What a shame this is. The only variable that I know has changed is Wolves.
You should have shot a couple wolves to take back with you.

BuzzH

WKR

A shit ton has changed in all that country.

Lion quotas are less than 10% of what they were in the 70's and 80's. Hunting season is longer now than in the 70's and 80's. There was no elk hunting taking place from August 15-February 15 on unlimited OTC tags. There weren't many guys shooting elk and deer at 1k plus yards. There wasn't GPS units, ONX, Hunting Forums, Google Earth. There wasn't a youth only season for deer for 2 days prior to the general season. There were around 75% fewer archery hunters in the 1970's and 80s...and their equipment was very low technology. There wasn't OTC whitetail doe tags for 4-5 years when you could buy 2, and apply for a third. Youth hunters couldn't kill doe deer and cow elk the entire season. Better clothing now, better optics, better boots, better tents, all the gear is lighter. Young guys are good hunters, they can learn on-line in a few days what took many years to figure out prior the computer age. The younger guys hunt further back, stay longer, and are flat tough.

Not many places for animals to find sanctuary these days.

I've hunted the places you mentioned since I was 12 years old, will be going back this next week and hunting it for the 39th consecutive year. My Dad and Grandfather hunted that country starting in the early 1940's.

I agree things have changed, but there's been a lot more changes than just wolves...and that's a fact.

BTW, there were 16 elk checked through Bonner on opening day, haven't seen the year to date yet.

Last edited:

BuzzH

WKR

20 elk hunters a week for 5 weeks...no impact to the resource there. How many other outfitters in the same general area?

How many archery hunters did they take during the 6 week archery season?

OP
Z

ZEKE3344

FNG
I get your point on technology and how it has changed hunting, and the changes on tags and the seasons and I will concede that. I was just blown away at how little game sign that was present. You had always had to earn a Elk even back then, but you always had muley's around. We went way up on Pyramid Pass which has always had some nice muley's in a pocket we had hunted in the past and the only tracks we cut were wolf. Mabe my view was to narrow but many of the other states we hunt with no wolves I do not see the impact on numbers as in Northwest Montana and the same technology etc is being used. My age is not a factor yet as I will go anywhere and stay just as long as someone half my age, and with the advantage of being retired and in good financial status. The challenges to hunting are what most of us love, I don't want easy, but you have to have hope to keep you going over that next ridge.

BuzzH

WKR
I get your point on technology and how it has changed hunting, and the changes on tags and the seasons and I will concede that. I was just blown away at how little game sign that was present. You had always had to earn a Elk even back then, but you always had muley's around. We went way up on Pyramid Pass which has always had some nice muley's in a pocket we had hunted in the past and the only tracks we cut were wolf. Mabe my view was to narrow but many of the other states we hunt with no wolves I do not see the impact on numbers as in Northwest Montana and the same technology etc is being used. My age is not a factor yet as I will go anywhere and stay just as long as someone half my age, and with the advantage of being retired and in good financial status. The challenges to hunting are what most of us love, I don't want easy, but you have to have hope to keep you going over that next ridge.

Mule deer have been on the decline in that country for a long, long time. From what I've seen it is a predator issue, but mostly lions. Hunting pressure and a complete lack of management from the FWP is a real bad deal as well. Pretty tough to have OTC buck tags for Residents, what 20K NR elk/deer or deer combo licenses and 6 weeks of archery 5 weeks of rifle through the rut...and expect nothing to change. Habitat has changed some too, but some places are better habitat wise than they were in the 1980's.

Probably close to 400,000+ more people living in Montana now than in 1970 too I bet.

I am also seeing the same thing just across the street from where you hunted near Pyramid...I haven't seen a mule deer at all, not a doe, fawn, or buck for 6 years. It never held a lot of mule deer, but enough that you would see at least some. In the late 70's and early 80's, not a big deal to see 60-70 mule deer a day. By the late 80's declined to maybe 30-40 a day, by the 1990's it got even worse.

The last mule deer I shot in that general area was in 1989, and probably shouldn't have even killed that one as they were already in the tank. Still some pretty fair whitetail to be had, but you have to know what you're doing.

I do agree with you that its unfortunate what the hunting is like there now...shell of its former self.

OP
Z

ZEKE3344

FNG
I see you are from Wyoming, I got a lot of family there in the Kinnear area. Had some great hunts there with a outfitter named Jiggs Black.

Okhotnik

WKR
Mule deer have been on the decline in that country for a long, long time. From what I've seen it is a predator issue, but mostly lions. Hunting pressure and a complete lack of management from the FWP is a real bad deal as well. Pretty tough to have OTC buck tags for Residents, what 20K NR elk/deer or deer combo licenses and 6 weeks of archery 5 weeks of rifle through the rut...and expect nothing to change. Habitat has changed some too, but some places are better habitat wise than they were in the 1980's.

Probably close to 400,000+ more people living in Montana now than in 1970 too I bet.

I am also seeing the same thing just across the street from where you hunted near Pyramid...I haven't seen a mule deer at all, not a doe, fawn, or buck for 6 years. It never held a lot of mule deer, but enough that you would see at least some. In the late 70's and early 80's, not a big deal to see 60-70 mule deer a day. By the late 80's declined to maybe 30-40 a day, by the 1990's it got even worse.

The last mule deer I shot in that general area was in 1989, and probably shouldn't have even killed that one as they were already in the tank. Still some pretty fair whitetail to be had, but you have to know what you're doing.

I do agree with you that its unfortunate what the hunting is like there now...shell of its former self.

Wolves improve hunting. Just ask Buzzh

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I grew up hunting the Thompson River country, and my brother still does. Bad news between over booked outfitters, wolves (they migrated from Canada), management issues with tags/point restrictions/etc. and other factors. I don’t know about elsewhere, but that area started going bad in the 90s due to wolves. You can still find critters, but it’s very hard.

I haven’t hunted it in about 10 years, and probably never will again. My brother says even the locals go elsewhere if they’re serious about getting something.

Praxeus

Lil-Rokslider
A shit ton has changed in all that country.

Lion quotas are less than 10% of what they were in the 70's and 80's. Hunting season is longer now than in the 70's and 80's. There was no elk hunting taking place from August 15-February 15 on unlimited OTC tags. There weren't many guys shooting elk and deer at 1k plus yards. There wasn't GPS units, ONX, Hunting Forums, Google Earth. There wasn't a youth only season for deer for 2 days prior to the general season. There were around 75% fewer archery hunters in the 1970's and 80s...and their equipment was very low technology. There wasn't OTC whitetail doe tags for 4-5 years when you could buy 2, and apply for a third. Youth hunters couldn't kill doe deer and cow elk the entire season. Better clothing now, better optics, better boots, better tents, all the gear is lighter. Young guys are good hunters, they can learn on-line in a few days what took many years to figure out prior the computer age. The younger guys hunt further back, stay longer, and are flat tough.

Not many places for animals to find sanctuary these days.

I've hunted the places you mentioned since I was 12 years old, will be going back this next week and hunting it for the 39th consecutive year. My Dad and Grandfather hunted that country starting in the early 1940's.

I agree things have changed, but there's been a lot more changes than just wolves...and that's a fact.

BTW, there were 16 elk checked through Bonner on opening day, haven't seen the year to date yet.

Ill be the first to say that I appreciate the response here....its all true. Add wolves to this equation and it even gets tougher. Intetresting as just the presence of wolves does not always explain everything. For example....was hunting the N fork of the CDA last year, saw tons of elk sign and also saw tons of wolf sign. In fact, very knowledgeable sources told me that the elk herd in the N fork was large and healthy (not a F & G report). On a similar note, been deep in these woods and haven't heard elk consistently bugle now. Its like they are operating on different communication skills to locate one another. AND, we know they are there.....I have them on camera. :)

Praxeus

Lil-Rokslider

Which Elk Creek Outfitters? I know of one out of Heron. That's quite a ways from the area the OP was describing.

I'm going to visit family in Columbia Falls over Thanksgiving. I've got a General Combo tag. I'm hoping it's not all doom and gloom when I get there.

OP
Z

ZEKE3344

FNG
I don't think it's doom and gloom, I had not hunted that territory for quite some time. I was not prepared for how it had changed. Be prepared if you want to find critters you will have to work hard for it. Combined with how hunting has changed and yes the addition of a formable predator (wolves) you will find it is a very different hunt. I will be the first to admit I did not do enough prep on the changing times. We did hunt hard and went to places that were tough to get to but the Elk won this battle. Next time I won't be so far off the learning curve. Hit the ground running and good luck

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve hunted Noxon trout creek bull river area since 99 and have met many of the outfitters including elk creek guys many times and am friends with a couple. Extremely tough hunt numbers down dramatically from when I started there and used to be incredible Especially for big bulls. If you worked hard you would get your opportunity now sometimes not. no matter what buzz says the biggest factor and change is the wolves and biggest reason for decline. I will be looking for a big Muley thanksgiving week. Would not recommend that country unless very comfortable eating your $1000 tag and want a big challenge👊🏔🏔🏔

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
We started out this last September just SW of St. Regis on the Idaho side of the border. It was a ghost town up there. The spot looked amazing when I was e-scouting and I even had my brother go check it out over the summer. Saw some sign but it was few and far between and nothing was talking. Our time was valuable so we only spent a day there then bailed to our plan B way downriver. There were plenty of elk to where we moved to so I'm not sure what happened up by the border. We chalked it up to a tough winter kill and too much pressure from the wolves.

Shepherd

Lil-Rokslider
I elk hunted in the Trout Creek area three years ago and we barely saw any elk. We would see some in the bottoms on private land but very few in the mountains on the public where we hunted. Not many mule deer either. Saw quite a bit of wolf sign and could hear some howling.

I also hunted the same area for mountian lion and there were plenty of lions - was a fun and successful hunt.