Northwest Nebraska

This is my first post on rokslide. My father and I are planning a 5 day hunt with 2 days of scouting to the fort Robinson Nebraska area to hunt mule deer and whitetail on public land. We have never hunted western style, We are from South Georgia. I continue to read more and more about how bad it is in the area with all the hunting pressure. Reading this has intrigued me and caused me to be more excited because I know it will be a difficult hunt and working harder then others will increase my chance. I’m going to purchase the unit deer tag and a doe tag for whitetail. Being from Georgia I would love to harvest a mule deer but I would be just has happy with a whitetail. I would like to talk to someone from the area or that has previously hunted the area and to hear your story. Other then hiking miles a day what do I need to prepare for? I’m planning on purchasing a spotting scope that will be under $300. Also a pair of vortex binoculars, should I purchase 12x50s or would 10x50 be a better fit in that area? How many deer a day would you guess I should see while Glassing mostly all day miles deep? I’m sorry for my amount of ignorance On the subject I’m just trying to learn as much as I can before I arrive. I have read that it’s almost useless going unless you can hunt private land. I hate hearing that because i do enjoy hunting public land just because of the flexibility and challenge. But it’s almost tempting to spend the first 2 days knocking on doors asking for permission.

Bryan B

FNG
I've hunted the area around Fort Rob. twice - and shot young bucks b/c that's about all that is there. There are very few deer 2.5+ years old and the pressure is high. In the 2 seasons I hunted that area, I saw a total of 3 bucks that were 2.5 and 1 that was 3.5 (not all at Ft. Rob) but couldn't get a shot. I saw many smaller deer. If you want to shoot a young WT or MD buck or a WT doe you should be able to do that. If you want something bigger, just go in knowing there's a chance, but it will be tough.

"Reading this has intrigued me and caused me to be more excited because I know it will be a difficult hunt and working harder then others will increase my chance. " I had that attitude too. IMO my partner and I worked harder than most other hunters and had little to show for it but we also could only hunt about 4 days each time. When we shot deer we cut them up and packed them out. I saw one guy and his buddy trying to drag a WT buck 2 miles to the road. I think it took them most of a day to do that.

Nebraska Game & Parks does a very good job of promoting/marketing deer and turkey hunting. In the Big Game Guide they list how many deer get shot in each unit that are 2.5+ years old. The only problem is most of those are on private. So a guy like you or me sees that and thinks they have a good shot at an older deer. The reality is while possible, it's not likely. At the registration station in Crawford and at Fort Rob., where I stayed, I asked the guys with big bucks where they shot them - all but one said private. They were paying $1,500 each to hunt private. The guy that shot one on public said it was the biggest one he shot in 9 years in that area hunting public and it wasn't huge but a nice respectable 4x4.

NW Nebraska is a nice area and a fun hunt. Just go in knowing a big buck on public could be tough to do.

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted the area around Fort Rob. twice - and shot young bucks b/c that's about all that is there.

This. Doesn't matter how much ambition or drive you have or how hard you are going to hunt.

edit - Also don't expect any landowners to be open to letting out-of-staters hunt or even residents hunt. I've spent a lot of time out that way and there are far better places to spend time looking for deer.

street

WKR
I have 10x50s. I don't see a reason for more power, especially if you're buying a scope.

NE = 800k acres of public land. About 10% holds deer.

So 80k good hunting acres

Sells 130k tags, about 50k to folks with a place to hunt on private land.

So about 80k erstwhile sports looking for deer on 80k acres........

Most urban sports need about 3 or 4 screw ups before they get in rythm with the natural world and seal the deal.

So 240k deer spooked off of 80k acres.

What's the average sports chances at an experience worthy of sharing on social media?

Last edited:
First off, just go. Know that it will be hard and your odds are low. But go anyway.
You can work out your gear, practice your craft, and figure out how to do better next time.

If I were you, I would skip the door knocking. Find likely spots on OnX and Google Earth and stuff. Scout those with the binos, save your boot leather.

I’d skip the spotting scope and put that extra $300 into your binoculars. Whatever power you decide on, get the best glass you can afford. Me, personally, I’d go with the 10x binos and plan on using them for everything in the next 5 years.

Good luck, have fun, and share your story when you get back.

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
I am from Nebraska, hunt near Oshkosh (sandhills), not quite the same but you can PM me if you want. The hunting quality has definitely decreased by a good margin in the past several years. If you don't have large expectations (ie anything over 120) I think you would at least have opportunity to fill your tag.

Thunder head

Lil-Rokslider
Ive bow hunted the area several times over the years.

I may have misunderstood the meaning of your post. But if you think you are going to out work everyone else by getting in deeper (hiking miles). You will be disappointed. The area has a network of roads and there is no where that is miles deep.

My main advise would be. Be flexible. Buy a map. (Cell service can be spotty) Study as much public land as you can. Pick out several spots that look good to you. That way if a spot you want to hunt is full of hunters you can move on to the next.

If your going to scout 2 days before the season opens. See if you can figure out a way to use the hunting pressure to your advantage, come opening morning.

Being from Nebraska i have been in the area a few times. My best friend and his dad hunted it for 15 years, till the crowds got bad. Nebraska is the cheapest state to shoot a mule deer for a out of state hunter. They have shot nice deer there a couple 150 to 160 range. No need for a spotting scope. Onx maps is a must. If you want real advice pm me. Also the more people scout the area the less deer on public ground by opening morning, that is common for every public land hunt unfortunately.

vanish

WKR
I’d skip the spotting scope and put that extra $300 into your binoculars. Whatever power you decide on, get the best glass you can afford. Me, personally, I’d go with the 10x binos and plan on using them for everything in the next 5 years.

I was going to make the exact same suggestion. Invest that $300 into the next better bino.

hoyt1981

FNG
Forkieslayer you still on this site was curious how this hunt was for you and your dad?

OP
Forkieslayer
Nebraska is a great state for someone trying to get into a “western” style hunt. You will see deer but probably not a deer over 2 or 3 years old. Nebraska mule deer is now a back up to my back up plan as far as getting a tag. I love the fact you can chase mule deer in the rut but as far as quality i would have low expectations. But im sure i will still go back in the future. If you have never been mule deer hunting i wouldn’t hesitate. But i would try to at least get a leftover CO tag.

SippyCup

FNG
I hunted out there last fall. It’s tough and came home empty. I’d skip the spotting scope and put that extra 300 into better glass. Vortex are decent but definitely better options. Get a tripod and decent fluid head. Also I’d have about 5 other option with pins dropped just in case (fires, droughts, pressure). Good luck on the hunt