Nosler 180 grain partition experiences

wolfpup

FNG
I have been loading ammo for my upcoming moose hunt for my 300 wby mag, and have been using Nosler 180 grain partition bullets. My gun seems to like the load using 81.5 grains of RL22. I talked to an Alaskan today that doesn't care for the Nosler partition and how they perform on moose. His first hand experience involved watching a bull take 5 shots in the vitals with 165 grain Nosler partitions. I am sure opinions widely vary, but has anyone used these bullets with good experiences? Or bad? I contemplated using Hornady 200 grain eldx. Just started reloading and don't have a lot of experience yet with the different options. Feel free to post your favorite bullets/loads for taking down these awesome animals. Sorry if this is a dumb post, still new on here.

WCB

WKR
I watched a bull elk take 3 shots from a .375 Trophy Bonded Bear claw before it went down...first shot killed it really...Great bullet performance sometimes they just don't go down right away. But You never know my theory is hit them till they go down and the client did just that. Partitions are a great bullet...I wouldn't hesitate with your set up. I definitely wouldn't consider the ELDX as a better constructed bullet.

I've ran nosler partition and have had no problems using them, I used them for 4 years. I have hunted alot of bear and elk with them and they did the job, as far as that moose story goes I've heard of guys shoot a moose multiple times and they keep hitting the same spot as before. With a bullet that does alot of damage you have no base to hit when it's already shot out so to keep shooting especially 5 time wont do a whole lot. I now use nosler accubonds 180 gr. And run 71 gr. Of Imr4831 out of my 300 win mag. I personally love them also, everyone has a preference. If you have the resources I would try a few different rounds, accubonds, partition take the switch to hornady and find out for yourself. Shot placement is everything when it really come down to it! Cheers

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Partitions are excellent bullets, I prefer the 200g though. I met a guide up here in AK once who said he didn’t like the partition.....strange because I’ve never heard that before or ever again, probably the same guy lol.

WKR
I have used 200 gr partitions on elk with no problems out of a .325 wsm. Packed it up to AK last year but I wasnt able to use it. I wouldnt hesitate to use a 180 gr partition on a moose or any other big game.

MT257

WKR
Partitions were designed because of poor bullet performance on moose. 180 or 200 grain bullets will do the job just fine if you do your part. If your gun likes 180s I say go have a good hunt and post a picture of a successful hunt.

VernAK

WKR
I've got several videos of moose shot with different bullets and includes 130 NPs from a 270 as well as 300 TBBC from a 375h&h with very little difference in reaction on the bull's part. All were big bulls and all were lung shot. ALL of them stayed standing for up to a full minute before collapsing. Only a couple were shot a second or third time by inexperienced and excited hunters. None of the follow up shots had any noticeable affect.

Your 180s will do just fine.......placed in the lung/heart area.

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
Great advice all around. Dropped my moose in his tracks with one shot using a Nosler partition 250g @ 2650fps out of a .338 Win Mag.
The ELDX is a fine bullet, but highly frangible and better suited to long range work. A close encounter would create potential issues with penetration on moose sized game.
Given your setup likes the partition, you're good to go!

I've used 160 grain Partitions in my 7mm RM for moose and elk for over 20 years.
A 180 grain dose from a 0.308 tablet would work just fine.

Tmac

WKR
My experience with 2 WY Moose, both lung shot with 180 gr. Barnes TTSX out of a 30-06, 350 yards and 30 feet. Little if any reaction at the shot. Seems they take time to die when lung shot. Sounds like that may be what your AK buddy saw. Both these Moose fell about 20-45 seconds after the first round entered the lungs. Both took follow ups that were in the lungs. One went about 50 yards, one about 10 feet, both took time to go down. No CNA hits or large bones were struck and each shot would have been ultimately fatal.

180 gr. Nosler Partition - great bullet and it will hold together and penetrate very well for you! No need to change!

180 gr. Accubond - great bullet also if you wanted to give it a try. They will hold together and penetrate wonderfully.

180 gr. E-tip - also a fantastic bullet that will hold together and penetrate very well.

hodgeman

WKR
180 Partitions are fine, no need to overthink it.

As far as shooting moose goes, they are just big, phlegmatic, and don't really exhibit bullet shock . You're not going to really impress one with anything you can fire from a shoulder unless you clip a spine.

I shot a bull last year, squarely through the lungs at 200 yards with a 300WSM and he stood there for what seemed like a distressingly long time (about 30 seconds or so). I thought about shooting him again, but I'm watching blood pouring out of the "10 ring" on both sides.

I eventually did shoot him a second time when he started for a nasty willow thicket to die in. That second shot was pointless and had no effect at all. He laid down and died right at the edge of the thicket. Both bullets went though both lungs and the first one clipped the bottom of his heart. I recovered the second bullet, 75% weight retention, perfect mushroom under the offside hide.

Good gun, good bullet, good shooting, and textbook bullet performance...and he still took a bit to decide to die. That's just the way moose are.

180 Partitions are fine, no need to overthink it.

As far as shooting moose goes, they are just big, phlegmatic, and don't really exhibit bullet shock . You're not going to really impress one with anything you can fire from a shoulder unless you clip a spine.

I shot a bull last year, squarely through the lungs at 200 yards with a 300WSM and he stood there for what seemed like a distressingly long time (about 30 seconds or so). I thought about shooting him again, but I'm watching blood pouring out of the "10 ring" on both sides.

I eventually did shoot him a second time when he started for a nasty willow thicket to die in. That second shot was pointless and had no effect at all. He laid down and died right at the edge of the thicket. Both bullets went though both lungs and the first one clipped the bottom of his heart. I recovered the second bullet, 75% weight retention, perfect mushroom under the offside hide.

Good gun, good bullet, good shooting, and textbook bullet performance...and he still took a bit to decide to die. That's just the way moose are.

Agree on the moose’ ability to absorb lead seemingly unaffected, until they tip over on their own.
Last bull I shot was at 90 yards with a 338 Win 225 ttsx. Broadside 2 through the lungs, 2 more as a frontal when he turned. Bullet performance was excellent based on the one the butcher found near the rear ham from the second frontal shot. Definitely didn’t need any of the 3 additional shots in the end and they seemed to have very little effect on the bull whatsoever.
Moral of the story: shoot a bullet that will penetrate the vitals, place it accordingly, and be ready to pack more meat than you can imagine. I can’t see a partition having any trouble being up to the task.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keller

WKR
They will work fine I killed a Kodiak brown bear at 15 yds with 180gr nosler partition
300 wm. They don't need to drop in their tracks to die.a good shot wins every time.

140 gr partition kills Elk just fine. Damage is incredible from a little 7mm-08. 30 yards they'll go, then drop. The problem with any partition is lack of exit hole. I like massive blood trails, but that never happens with Moose or Elk.

My accubonds don't leave a blood trail either. I think it's the Moose hair or Elk hair that absorbs it.

peewee

FNG
I’m happy to see this post. I will be using 180 grain Nosler Partition. The round groups great. I just hope an opportunity presents itself.

OP
wolfpup

wolfpup

FNG
I’m happy to see this post. I will be using 180 grain Nosler Partition. The round groups great. I just hope an opportunity presents itself.

I had the opportunity to test my load on a caribou. At 300 yards he tipped over backwards shot through the lungs while walking. Hopefully, I get a chance at a moose in a couple weeks.