Nosler Accubond Performance

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I was lucky to get first blood on my Savage 110 off-season rifle project. The rifle started as a used blued/synthetic 7mm Remington Magnum I found at a local shop. The throat was pitted from lack of care, but the barrel looked great otherwise.

My smith polished up the chamber, I bedded the action into a Bell and Carlson Medalist, and mounted a Swarovski Z3 4-12X50 BRH on top. The project shot well with 160 Accubonds over Retumbo. The result was accurate and lightweight.

I decided to take the rifle to Alaska for my moose hunt ahead of my Remington Sendero 300 RUM.

I ended up killing a rather large-bodied Alaskan moose with the rifle. I shot the bull three times. The first shot center punched the lungs broadside. The second shot was a high-shoulder shot that broke both scapulas. The third shot was a double-lung shot mildy quartering. All three bullets penetrated to the off-side hide, where they were recovered.

I collected the bullets and cleaned them the best I could of hide, fat, meat and debris. These are the results:

The three bullets:

DSC04544.jpg

The first broadside shot retained the most weight (63.5%):

DSC04546.jpg

The second shot encountered the most resistance by penetrating both scapulas, and not surprisingly retained the least amount (55.6%):

DSC04548.jpg

The last shot was very similar to the first (61.4%):

DSC04547.jpg

Overall, I think the 7mm Accubonds performed as designed, and performed very well. The internal damage to the lung tissue was extensive. I am confident that shot #1 was all that was needed, but I have always been a "shoot em 'til they're down" guy.

I have recovered quite a few different accubonds from different critters, and the consistency of performance is very good.

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
My father dropped a small bull shiras moose with a spine shot via 180gr 300wsm accubond from my rifle last week. Of the ten or so animals I've shot with the same set up, all have been lights out. So far I've only recovered three bullets and they look much like those ideal mushrooms you've posted. Bullet construction matters after having a ballistic silver tip grenade a deer shoulder blade and make recovery more eventful than needed.

I've recovered three 160/.284 Accubonds and they look just like yours. Retained about 60% of their weight too. They were shot out of a .280 Rem and a 7STW. Great bullet, probably my favorite for all-around use.

I have only had 2 accubond recoveries out of the three black bears, two elk, one white tail and three moose i have taken with my rifle. I am shooting 200 grain accubonds out of my 300 RUM. I have always been amazed with the devasting effects of these bullets. They have performed well on everything i have hunted and would say they are one of the better bullet choices out there.

JasonWi

WKR
I've shot 3 bull elk with my 7mm RM and 160 AB. I have yet to recover a bullet. All elk were dead within 75 yards of the initial impact.

I'm running mine with 64.0 grains RL22, winchester brass and Federal 215 primers. Getting 2900 fps.

I've recovered a grand total of one accubond from the dozen or so I've fired at game. That one was recovered under the skin after traveling from the right ham to the left shoulder of a rapidly departing grizzly. It was the back up shooter for my cousin, and my follow up slowed him down enough to finish the job properly. It looks just like Matt's. I've got no issues with that bullet.

Yk

They look just like the last 3 I have recovered. I expected more retained weight, but doesn't seem to matter.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
They look just like the last 3 I have recovered. I expected more retained weight, but doesn't seem to matter.

I remember reading some Nosler press when accubonds first came out. If I remember correctly, the design goal was partition terminal performance with added tip deformation resistance and higher ballistic coefficients.

They could have bonded the bullets further, and maintained more of the front portion of the core to retain weight, but that would have increased the expanded area, and reduced penetration. Accubonds really do perform like partitions. The front portion expands violently and fragments while the back penetrates deep.

I am happy with their consistent performance.

I remember reading some Nosler press when accubonds first came out. If I remember correctly, the design goal was partition terminal performance with added tip deformation resistance and higher ballistic coefficients.

They could have bonded the bullets further, and maintained more of the front portion of the core to retain weight, but that would have increased the expanded area, and reduced penetration. Accubonds really do perform like partitions. The front portion expands violently and fragments while the back penetrates deep.

I am happy with their consistent performance.

I have been very happy also, one of the reasons I even tried them WAS the high BC. Looks like they achieved the plan.

bbrown

WKR
I had been shooting the Winchester XP3s for the past couple years but after a slight mis-calculation on my part (forgot I shot them all) it was 3 days before my hunt and no one had the XP3s in stock. So I opted for a box of the Win Accubond - shot almost the same as the XP3s when I re-sighted in just to make sure. It took only one shot on my bull this year and he only made it a few yards before expiring. It was a double lung pass thru but there was not a blood trail until he fell for the last time. I think that was due to the angle (he was above me) and shot placement. One kinda weird thing was the entrance wound was actually bigger than the exit - by alot.
None the less, he died quickly and did not go far - what more could you ask for.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
One kinda weird thing was the entrance wound was actually bigger than the exit - by alot.

that isn't entirely unusual for accubonds or partitions. They are designed to open easily, and only the base portion of the bullet typically perforates. They will often leave a pretty big entrance hole especially if the impact velocity is high. What cartridge and range was your shot, bbrown?

bbrown

WKR
That makes sense - it was 300 win mag shooting 180s and I hit him at 209 yards. Like I said - it did the trick!!!

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been a big fan of the Accubonds for a few years now. Have had great results with 225gr Accubonds out of my .338 Win Mag on moose and my light weight .308 shoots the 165gr bullets in such tight little groups I continue to amaze myself! : )

Anyone try the nosler ballistic tips with their Accubond loads? The BC is exactly the same between like caliber/weight bullets of both and several people have told me that they can be used interchangeably for load work-up. It sure would be nice to be able to use the cheaper BT's for range work if both have the same poi.