Nosler Accubonds vs Partitions

EastMT

WKR
Trying to decide what I should shoot my 300 Weatherby it’s an older gun and it’s finicky to say the least I do have one ATI coupons working OK groups but I shoot my 200 gr partitions out of my saum, so I figured I’d try it out unfortunately can’t find them anywhere now. Oh well

Man if I knew I could get some more anytime in the next few years I’d share, but I have no idea when they will be stocked up. Maybe after the market crashes and everyone’s broke?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPollard

Lil-Rokslider
I love the Bullet I shoot it from my 338 federal as well as the winmag

Rich M

WKR
I haven't shot anything with accubonds but do like partitions - shoot em in 3006 and 243 a bit. Never a question on the hit. Mostly they flop over. The partitions don't shoot as tight as Sierra Pro Hunters but they shoot tight enough for the deer and antelope I hunt.

Maybe you want to look at something a little less well constructed than the Accubond if you want more expansion and destruction?

I really like Sierra Pro Hunters - they do a great job on deer anyway. 100 gr in 243 and 150 in 3006. I'm sure yours would be as heavy as the caliber allows.

IDK - I run both in everything I got from .260 - .358 and yup they both have bang flops and both just have flops..........

I run AB's in my 7 mm nearly exclusive and PT's in everything else

They work, go with what your rifle shoots best.

300 win mag

Lil-Rokslider
used to shoot partitions 20 -25 years ago.many different calibers.mostly on larger or dangerous game.then started shooting a-frames also.ballistic tips on whitetail.all worked well.then started shooting a lot of ttrx.excellent.still shoot them.last couple years ive been shooting hammers and i think there all i will use.except i will be shooting the 131 gr ace in my short freebore 257 wby.i have my reamers made and dies from the reamers.1/4 moa or better at a 100 yds.all my rifles are light for caliber.fortunately we have many quality manufacturers.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I shot partitions our of my .300 WM for years and the always performed well.

In my .257 Wby Mag I shoot Accubonds. I shot a Mule Deer at 52 years in the neck. The bullet his the spine and blew up never exiting the neck anywhere. The buck went straight down, and was laying in a puddle of blood 3’ in diameter. It was more blood than I’ve ever seen. Since then I’ve take a Whitetail Deer and and Antelope from 390 and 355 yards respectively. The results on both were immediately devastating and very impressive.

I think you can’t go wrong with either.

I had success with the Partition, but due to the current shortages everywhere I haven't been able to find any more of it. Came across ABs in 180 grain for my .30-06 and did a bit of digging to find out how they differ.

According to Nosler: https://faq.nosler.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=1&id=2&artlang=en

So it seems the ABs are designed to perform the same as Partition at impact, but using newer technology (bonding of bullet to jacket?) for some BC gains.

I guess i will have to see how my rifle likes them. Anyone have experience switching between the two? Does one shoot better than the other? Or is it rifle-dependent?

Partitions always perform as expected. All others seem to have varying results. I've been switching over to accubonds and eldx just to extend my range a little more, and since they are cheaper, but I trust the partitions much more. Also, I do get great accuracy (.75moa) with the 175gr 7mm partitions so don't let some bad groups deter you from playing around with your loads.

My experience on elk is the Partiton will open up quickly, but damage on side meat more than a bonded. Then mess up the vitals just fine and leave a more or less bullet diameter exit hole. Partitons and Accubonds seem to be not finicky and shoot well out of the rifles I have shot them in.

S-3 ranch

WKR
Partitions always perform as expected. All others seem to have varying results. I've been switching over to accubonds and eldx just to extend my range a little more, and since they are cheaper, but I trust the partitions much more. Also, I do get great accuracy (.75moa) with the 175gr 7mm partitions so don't let some bad groups deter you from playing around with your loads.
Reliablity = 100% partitions, every thing else I have had variation in perfromance depending on distance ect
eldx & sst = no bueno @0-150meters

Last edited:

elkguide

WKR
Partitions are a great bullet but not as accurate as some of the others and when I say not as accurate, I'm saying that I've never been able to get much better than 1" groups. I've had way more trouble with getting the Accubonds to shoot in many of my rifles. One of my .300 WMs will shoot ABs into tiny bug holes but 3 others will do 1 1/2" at best with them. I've seen some very dead elk from both of them so if you are choosing between those two, I would use whichever one shoots the best out of your rifle.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Zombie thread. But, all the info still seems pertinent. I guess that’s based on “IF” you can get your hands on some of these products. LOL. Heaven knows I can’t. :-(

Yo, I saw that. But I also saw two people respond and resurrect before I did. Still good discussion. But thanks for pointing that out...

schmalzy

WKR
Reliablity = 100% partitions, every thing else I have had variation in perfromance depending on distance ect
eldx & sst = no bueno @0-150meters

That’s interesting you’ve had that experience with SSTs at that range. I’ve killed 3-4 deer in the last 3 years using SSTs from 30 yards to 150ish yards and the SST dropped them where they stood. All base of neck shots. Golf ball sized exits for most part.

What caliber? I was shooting 270 130s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AkRyan

WKR
Pick the bullet that shoots the most accurate out of your rifle and go shoot stuff

Honyock

WKR
I've used partitions for 35 years on whitetail and bigger animals. Killed five elk and a whole lot of whitetails with 150gr partitions out of a 270 and when the partition went where they should, I've had zero issues with the partition. Killed a 7'2" black bear with a 300 wsm partition in August that was quartering towards me, hit him in the front of his right shoulder and the bullet was just under the skin of the outside of his left hip. It mushroomed perfectly and literally went through five feet of bear. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Each time the Partiton is brought up, I think of the animals they've taken from my handloads over the years, most specifically my fathers 280 Rem and the 160 Partiton. Deer, elk, boar, that load has done it all. They always have worked, and in this day and age of the latest in the greatest, get left out of the conversation. They aren't the highest ballistic coefficient (but still pretty good) and they're not sexy to talk about but the proof is in the results.