Nosler brass vs hornady

WKR

WKR
I worked up a load in my 7 rem mag that shoots really great but I'm getting pressure signs with the hornady brass I was using. I would get ejector swipes and sooty primers/loose primer pockets.
Now I'm wondering if it could just be the brass and not over pressure for my chamber. The bolt opens just fine and the primers aren't flattened or cratered. Was thinking of trying nosler brass with the same powder charge and seeing if it could stand up to that load.

169 gr Hammer Hunter
69gr H-1000
Winchester lrmp
3140 fps at the muzzle
26" 1/8 twist bbl

I’d say at first glance you might have a pretty hot charge there, but hard to know for sure as I’ve never worked up a load for hammer bullets.

Just for reference in my 7 mag I was using Hornady brass and a 150g Etip and was using 67g H1000 At 3000 FPS and that was fairly hard on the brass. I started losing primer pockets at 3 reloads on quite a bit of the brass. I’ve also noticed it with my 308 match Hornady brass.

No experience with nosler brass but I switched to ADG brass and so far it seems to be much higher quality and it seems to take the pressure quite a bit better. It would be wise to redo load development when switching brass.

2five7

WKR
Nosler brass has been fairly soft in my experience, only used it in 28 Nosler though.

Zdub02

WKR
I've had issues with Hornady brass and won't it anymore. Haven't had any issues with Nosler brass but have only loaded a few cases after using the Trophy Grade factory loads.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I've had issues with Hornady brass and won't it anymore. Haven't had any issues with Nosler brass but have only loaded a few cases after using the Trophy Grade factory loads.
What issues did you have?

Zdub02

WKR
I can't keep neck tension after putting it through FL sizing die so bullets don't seat snug - I can pull the bullet by hand after loading. Not sure if its soft brass or thin case walls causing that issue. I've measured inside diameter of the necks which come in around .283 but still the sloppy seating. Haven't had that issue using other brands of brass so I'll just avoid Hornady headstamps

When switching brass you should always back down your powder charge a bit and work back up.
Also if your going to switch from Hornady I’d say pickup some ADG brass. Nosler tends to be soft IMO.

Old nosler brass is different than new nosler brass too. At least in some cartridges, they changed manufacturers. A lot of it used to be Norma. My newer 300wm nosler cases are quite a bit smaller in case capacity than norma cases.

For the OP, sounds like your load is over pressure but hornady brass typically doesn't stand up to pressure well either.

Rich M

WKR
I've not used nosler brass but hornady IMO has been soft when compared to say Win & Federal.