Nosler brass vs nosler loaded ammo brass

Dcrafton

WKR
What is the difference between nosler brass ready for reloading vs the nosler brass in preloaded ammo? For rifle use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eric1115

WKR
Tagging in... I picked up some Nosler cartridges for the same price per round as Nosler brass (plus the brass is out of stock). Can't answer your question, but interested in the answer!

OP
Dcrafton

Dcrafton

WKR
What is the difference between nosler brass ready for reloading vs the nosler brass in preloaded ammo? For rifle use

I ask this question because I have a 280ai custom rifle just about ready. I want to use nosler brass. I will fire form the brass as I break in the barrel.
I can buy new brass for $85 for 50, then I will need to load (primer, powder, bullet)
Or I can buy nosler ammo with nosler brass, $31 for 20. So for 3 boxes it costs a little more but I am ready for fire forming and break in.

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
I ask this question because I have a 280ai custom rifle just about ready. I want to use nosler brass. I will fire form the brass as I break in the barrel.
I can buy new brass for $85 for 50, then I will need to load (primer, powder, bullet)
Or I can buy nosler ammo with nosler brass, $31 for 20. So for 3 boxes it costs a little more but I am ready for fire forming and break in.

One way to get your question answered is to call Nosler direct. I'm sure they'd be willing to tell you if there's any difference in the two products.

By the way, you might want to look at Shooters Pro Shop. That's Nosler's retail site for all their blems. I've shot their blem Accubond bullets a lot and killed quite a few animals with them and never really noticed the difference. Plus, I built up my stash of .280AI brass through blem brass from that site and it's worked great for me. They have some in stock now for $52.95/50.

OP
Dcrafton

Dcrafton

WKR
I would hope they load the same brass as they sell. If it has the Nosler stamp on it, should be the same.

I did notice that the brass had a nosler stamp and the loaded had (nos) stamped

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would venture to say the Nosler brass has been weight sorted and the ones that don’t make the cut head to the loading area. But I am just really guessing. I reload the Nosler brass for my 28 and it is very solid and I will get four or five reloads out of it before the primer pockets are compromised.

I would say it’s identical. I use nosler brass in my 7mm STW and I have two boxes of 25 pcs brass I bought at different stores probably 6 months apart or more. I also have 3 boxes of 20 loaded I bought which none of the boxes matched. After firing all brass twice and doing a full prep with trim on the brass I believe 103 of the 110 pieces all fell within 1.5% weight tolerance spread. So only 0.75% above and below the average. For 5 totally different lots I would say that is consistency. Those loaded brass now shoot pretty much bullet diameter hole groups at 100 when I do my part.

I would venture to say the Nosler brass has been weight sorted and the ones that don’t make the cut head to the loading area. But I am just really guessing. I reload the Nosler brass for my 28 and it is very solid and I will get four or five reloads out of it before the primer pockets are compromised.
NOT what Nosler claims, that is why you can sometimes find Nosler brass "blems" - I have a bunch in '06 and noticed a while back that a Kimber began producing erratic groups, then realized it was actually 2 distinct groups so I checked and the blem brass had distinctly different water volume numbers, fairly slight but differing all the same - Sorted and problem was solved - Top shelf Nosler brass is the same as their Nosler AMMO brass, if it's blems something didn't pass muster but you can't always tell one from the other in a pile

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up three different types of Nosler ammo for my 308 to test. The ammo was on sale and I planned on using the brass for reloading.
125gr Balistic Tips, 165gr Accubonds, and 165gr Partitions. All three had different head stamps and significantly different weights. Probably not going to use the Partition or Accubond brass.

mvrk28

WKR
I think the difference is that when you buy Nosler brass only, it's more than likely all from the same lot. The brass going in to the loaded ammunition is more than likely not weight sorted or from the same lot. That being said, weight sorting brass is stupid anyway. Overall weight is not as important as case volume.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Weights of Nosler 308 brass from factory loading with three different head stamps

165 gr Accubond load: 164 grain
125 gr Ballistic TIp Load: 170 grain
165 gr Partition load: 178 grain.

These are weights after cleaning only. I have not checked volume yet as I have been loading other brass.

DB Cooper

Lil-Rokslider
Call the Nosler Pro shop in Bend, OR. There is only 1 guy who works there and he has had a very good answer to every question I've ever had

DB Cooper

Lil-Rokslider
And everything on Shooters Pro Shop is a cosmetic blem, the bullets/brass all shoot just as well as the non-blems. Stop by the store sometime if you're in Bend, OR. Its a cool visit.