Nosler Brass

Buck75

FNG
Has anyone experienced higher pressures with Nosler brass?

I’ve been having nice accuracy, but very high pressures/velocities with Nosler brass in my 8mm Rem. mag. I can’t load above minimum manual velocities, and I have thus far not been able to find a different brand of brass with which to compare the Nosler.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
If you have not compared the brass to other brands, I would be very hesitant to suspect the brass as the problem. First, what pressure signs are you experiencing? Have you fired the rifle using factory ammo? How are the components you are using different than the reloading manual's, even their test rifle? How confident are you with your scale? Are you using a suitable primer? Are you seating the bullet to the published OAL? Just some things to check into...

OP
B

Buck75

FNG
Thanks for your input. I was really just putting out a feeler about Nosler brass in general vs. other makes, giving one rifle as an example. My minimum loads are shooting fine, consistent groups with low SD.
HiMtnHntr-By the way-were you on F&S forums under a similar name?

Buck75,
HiMtnHntr has is right in every aspect! but, know that Nosler brass has historically been heavier than other brands which tends to reduce your max load by a few grains.
It may not be your situation but, I will share what I experienced with 7 STW which uses the 8RM as a parent case. I was having trouble finding Nosler brass and ended up buying 50 federal and 50 Remington to try.
I load 7 STW (and others) with Nosler brass, exclusively, for their quality and consistent weight/volume. Nosler was definitely heavier (held less volume) yet, dramatically more consistent than federal and especially Remington brass when I compared a few years back.
Looking at my notes, Extreme accuracy with the 180 Berger/Nosler brass, running 77.5 grains of H1000 max load @ 3040 fps with es of 9. I can get 5 and sometimes 8 firings with these Nosler cases. On the other hand, Federal Brass with the same components, I can ran up to 80.5 grains (3160fps) chasing an accuracy node before I get consistent max pressure signs. The velocity was substantially better but, ES was terrible all the way up, too many fliers and I could only get two firings from federal cases before primer pockets got loose or neck split. Hope this helps...
I would expect to see what you are seeing if all else is equal.
Regards,
100%

OP
B

Buck75

FNG
100%-thanks for your thoughts. I also load 7STW with Nosler brass and 160 NAB. Also Fed. and Rem. brass. Only Nosler brass showed pressure signs at max book loads.

tdhanses

WKR
I get higher pressure signs out of Norma brass, believe Norma makes Nosler brass. I actually prefer cheap win brass to the expensive Norma.

Ratbeetle

WKR
FWIW, I'm a half grain over Hornady 9th load data for 338WM using Nosler brass and IMR4350 with no pressure signs. Nosler brass has been GTG for me.

Edit: That's a half grain over book max, if I wasn't clear.

I'm looking back again and I see that its only max loads showing signs?

What signs are you seeing at max?

Keep in mind that's not anything unusual. One rifle maybe be cut a little tighter, have less freebore, have tighter lands, etc. All this will play a role. I've had rifles I pushed hard with very little pressure signs and rifles I couldn't get near max on.

One other thing is the bullet you are using. For example if the bullet in the load data has a shorter bearing surface than the bullet you are using, you will hit pressure sooner.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk