Nosler E Tips

Wizbang

FNG
Curious if anyone has loaded up 140 gr Nosler e tips for hunting. Just wondering about longer range when you might dip around 1900 fps, what effect that would have with expansion? Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A382DWDZQ

WKR
I think minimum for e-tips is 1,800fps, but I do not have any field experience to support that.

OP
Wizbang

Wizbang

FNG
I think minimum for e-tips is 1,800fps, but I do not have any field experience to support that.

Yeah your right about the factory minimum being 1,800fps. I’m hoping someone has shot these and has some data about them at or around that speed.

I used 150 e tips in my 7 mag for spring bear last year because they were much more accurate than the gmx for me. I had two buddies end up using my gun because they had problems with theirs and we killed 3 bears at ranges from 120 to about 550 yards. I was impressed with the bullet at all ranges. I think at 550 it’s going just over 2k FPS so not quite 1900 but it seemed like it still mulched the lungs pretty good at that range.

At 550 using the phone scope we could actually see the bullet hit the bear, pass through and hit rock, and then start tumbling off into the timber.

These are not at all a fragmenting bullet but I’ve found them to be very deadly for my conditions. Hope this helps

OP
Wizbang

Wizbang

FNG
I used 150 e tips in my 7 mag for spring bear last year because they were much more accurate than the gmx for me. I had two buddies end up using my gun because they had problems with theirs and we killed 3 bears at ranges from 120 to about 550 yards. I was impressed with the bullet at all ranges. I think at 550 it’s going just over 2k FPS so not quite 1900 but it seemed like it still mulched the lungs pretty good at that range.

At 550 using the phone scope we could actually see the bullet hit the bear, pass through and hit rock, and then start tumbling off into the timber.

These are not at all a fragmenting bullet but I’ve found them to be very deadly for my conditions. Hope this helps

Very helpful. I to am going to be shooting theses out of a 7mm. I’m intrigued with the bullet because of their stated weight retention. Only concern would be around those lower fps when it would almost be like sticking an animal with a field tip on a arrow as they might not expand.