Nosler Long Range AB vs Hornady ELD-X

Between these two, which have you folks found to perform better at all ranges? I tried the Hornady Precision Hunter at the range only and it’s accurate but I’ve seen mixed reviews on game, especially close range.

I’m going to try the Nosler Trophy Grade Long Range AB in my 7mm STW and .30 06.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man you read my mind. I have a 280ai that shoots 143 HHs to .5 to .75" at 3180 had good success on antelope and deer from 80 to 400 yards. Having a 6.5 saum built so wanted sthing a bit bigger and found a load with 168 ABLRs shooting .25-.5" if do my part (getting older sucks) but velocity down to 2860 but when i run ballistics at 500 yards toe ABLR catches and passes the HHs. My research shows those that are having blow up issues with teh ABLR are just running them to fast and having issues at shorter ranges say inside 100. So interested to where this thread goes

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
The Hornady's shoot well, but I was not impressed at all with their failure on a friend's cow elk. Failed to penetrate the rib cage. I know others have had better experiences, but that was enough for me to not hunt with that bullet.

And what velocity of the load? Thats been what my research shoes on both these bullets failures as a resutl of just going to fast. But a disclaimer I have yet to shoot the Elds or ABLRS on game just what people have been telling me so I am trying to learn a bunch as well. My buddy has shot moose to blacktails, sheep and antelope with his 6.5x 284 and 147 ABLRs at 2850 and bang flops from 100-600 yards..

4ester

WKR
Personally I’m not a Nosler fan due to major inconsistencies in their bullets, in the same box and between lots.

And contacted their customer service about these issues and never got a response back.

AZsniper

WKR
the eldx falls apart at close ranges. you only get 40% weight retention but it does hit hard. If you hit an elk in the wrong spot at close ranges the bullet will fall apart and you will be chasing an elk. The ELDx shines at longer ranges. But placement is key

Fourteen

Lil-Rokslider
I contemplated the same thing with my new 28 Nosler. Review after review after review. ELD-X or Accubond....... back and forth! I’ve shot Hornady SST, for whitetail, in my 30-06 for years and was looking for a more controlled expansion for elk. I decided to go with the Nosler Trophy Grade Accubond after talking with hunters that shoot the same.

I have reloaded with both bullets and have seen good accuracy out of both, .5-.75 MOA. I have had similar experiences as others have said with the Eldx on game. I have shot two antelope with them and found they preformed similar to Hornady’s SST with a lot of weight loss and extreme expansion. I also shot a doe with an Accubond and was very impressed with the wound channel. After my hunting experience I would say if your hunting deer sized animals either would be a great bullet. But if your going up to elk, then I would go the the Accubond, since it will retain its weight better. Another bullet to look at would be Barnes LRX, but I am not sure they have ammo in the 7mm STW.

If folks pass on shots for animals that are "too far" for their setup, then why can't others pass on shots that are "too close" for their setup? There is no bullet that is perfectly suited for all conditions at all ranges. Figure out what you want to achieve and go from there and accept its limitations. Or at least change where you aim (path of least resistance).