Nosler Long Range Accubonds vs "regular" Accubonds

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some of the Long Range Accubonds are offered in different weights (than the "regular) that are appealing (in loaded ammunition, not hand loader anymore); is there any difference in terminal ballistics between the two Accubonds?

This is strictly for hunting, not paper punching. Just want to make sure I can enjoy the same performance as the regular Accubonds

Thanks in advance
Mike

The LRAB are significantly softer for expansion at low velocities. They will not hold together as well.

Ondavirg

Lil-Rokslider
LR accubonds expand at lower velocities, so you can think of them as being softer. There are threads here reporting poor performance on close range shots with the LRAB, but I have no personal experience supporting this.

Slugz

WKR
LRAB min velocity is 1300 vs AB is 1800.
I switched to the LRAB this past year after shooting nothing but AB.

Cow elk neck shot at 220 yards and a cow moose at 187 yards. Both bang flops. 175gr LRAB out of my 280AI.

Moose terminal performance was as speced.
Went in 4th rib back. Impacted rib and made a 2inch hole. Bullet lodged in offside shoulder. Weight retention was 68%. Shot was 30 degree quartering away.

fishslap

WKR
I shot a doe antelope at 200 yards and a muley buck at <100 yards with 270 wsm 150 gr LRAB. The doe was hit a bit forward but stumbled and died. The buck was hit through both lungs and died like someone unplugged him from the outlet. The 150gr LRAB groups just a little better than the 140gr AB, both in factory loads.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Gents. I stumbled onto a faq on the Nosler site and indeed the LR is softer, makes sense if you’re shooting stuff at long range and want a bullet to open up at less velocity.

I’ve had good luck with the regular accubond and my shooting is limited to under 400 yds (most cases under 300). Probably makes sense to stick with the regular.

What prompted the question was I’m looking at a .300 WSM and noticed the LR is available in 190 gr vs 180 in the regular. I have a sheep/grizzly hunt in the future and thought the little extra energy of the 190 might be advantageous for the grizzly end.

Forest

WKR
Imo at those ranges I would definitely stick with the standard or even the partition. 200gr in either of those bullets is certainly a great option too if they shoot decent and you want some more energy.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

I’ve seen that 180 Accubond kill several elk launched from a 300wsm out to 700 yards.

If I was doing what you describe I’d buy a barrels worth, get to practicing and never look back.