Nosler Model 21

Wapiti151

WKR
Hey all, I’ve been reading a bunch about Nosler’s new model 21 that just got released. Anybody know when this rifle may be available? Can’t find them for sale anywhere but it looks quite intriguing. Looking for a lightweight mountain rifle to replace my tikka 6.5 cm for mule deer and other deer sized game and the Nosler 21 has my attention but would like to get my eyes on one. Have Sako S20 for anything bigger. Also looking at the Sako 85 finnlight and Bergara Mountain 2.0 (6.5PRC). Any experience with those or other suggestions would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

OP
Wapiti151

Wapiti151

WKR
There’s a couple on gunbroker now, haven’t seen one in person but they do look like real nice rifles for the money.
thanks I will check those out, I went into GB last night and saw a bunch of Noslers, but my page wouldn't fully load and all I could see were the images. Thanks to Rokslide, I am now going down the NULA rabbit hole as well. Going to call them today, hearing a 15 month ETA on new NULAs...I know it'd be worth it but not sure that i have the patience.

hodgeman

WKR
I've been using a Nosler 48 extensively since 2006. The barrel has a little life left, but it's definitely getting some wear on it.

I'm seriously considering a Nosler 21 and putting the M48 into semi-retirement. I've seen the 6.5CM, the 6.5PRC and the 28 Nosler on a listing but nothing 30 cal and up.

wyosteve

WKR
You'll love the NULA even with the wait. I have a ULA 20 and it's like a feather!

OP
Wapiti151

Wapiti151

WKR
Well, ended up ordering a Nosler M21 last night in 6.5 PRC…should have it at my ffl in a week or so. Will update everyone after it arrives. Winter has arrived here in AK so not sure if I will be able to get to the range before they close in December. Plan to throw a Leupold VX3hd on it to keep the weight down. Think it’ll be a perfect mule deer rifle and a definite upgrade to my tikka.

OP
Wapiti151

Wapiti151

WKR
Nosler M21 finally got here today! Went and picked it up, and I don’t know if I’ve ever fallen in love with a factory rifle the moment I picked it up…but I did today! Mine is the 6.5 PRC. Super handy rifle with the carbon stock, and extremely well balanced! Weighs in as advertised at 6.9lbs with the factory mounted bases. Fit and finish are phenomenal, bolt is very smooth with little to no slop, finish on the barrel and all metal is a clean matte stainless look. The stock is also very nice with good texture, I’ll be curious how it handles when we
Thus far I’m more than pleased with the rifle at the sub $2500 price point. Obviously haven’t shot it yet, waiting on my scope to be back in stock at leupold and will be mounting sometime after that. Hope to get some range time in after December when the range opens back up here in AK.
The ONLY thing I don’t like is the interchangeable bolt knob. Feels great, but I tighten it down, and after cycling the action 5-7 or so times, it works loose and starts to unscrew. Nothing a little blue LT won’t fix.

was pretty nervous about ordering a just released rifle sight unseen, glad I did and hope it shoots as good as it feels in the hands. We shall see. I got rifle number 70. 👊🏼

shoot over any questions you may have. I’ll try and get some pictures posted tomorrow.

Be350ka

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome. I was just driving and said to myself “I better check rokslide to see if there is an update.” Glad I did.
Today I called Fierce about one of their prc rifles and for the price I just can’t bring myself to pull the trigger. I’m sure it’s nice, but... I don’t know. I just tend to drive myself nuts over the details.
I also started thinking about a full custom build. It will get pricey but I can take small bites at a time. Who am I kidding. That is just my way of justifying a larger price tag but I know I’ll say all in after the first parts order. 🤦‍♂️
thanks for updating. Anxiously awaiting pictures and future updates.

Be350ka

Lil-Rokslider
Oh. Can you somehow check to see what COAL the magazine will fit? Thanks.

OP
Wapiti151

Wapiti151

WKR
Oh. Can you somehow check to see what COAL the magazine will fit? Thanks.
Yeah I’ll get some details tomorrow and post. I also played with the custom “one bite at a time” route…but know myself and would just buy it all at once. I’m not good at putting together things I want over a long period of time. I have a tikka 6.5cm, I think I’ll play with the DIY semi-custom route on that one now to scratch the itch, and since it is not a new rifle to me, I’m not in any rush. Still want to do a full custom 300 wsm with a 21” bbl though. That’ll come in time. Until then, I’m pretty excited about this Nosler, and hope it’ll join me in taking many critters!

The balance of this Nosler is crazy good though. Feels WAY better than the all carbon options out there now. ~7lb naked rifle seems to be a sweet spot for me. Handy but has some ass behind er.

OP
Wapiti151

Wapiti151

WKR
Pics. Pretty cool that Nosler used Wyatt outdoors for their mag box, makes sense…since they are both in OR. COAL 2.990…tried to get a good picture of the mag. The follower sits in there and there is about 1/10” in additional length past the follower to the front of the mag well.

E099C266-FBDB-4A08-9719-B45A56DBB98E.jpeg047C7BD6-1636-456B-8F36-41E95CECFCAF.jpegB8A8F044-620E-4D00-9291-B629EF43D54D.jpeg631AFB64-493E-4E73-8A5F-5793E66E3629.jpegD0AF98C4-4A7F-44DB-83DB-4F1CF047F861.jpeg443FBF2C-F859-40F7-9091-20A96AC14D8C.jpeg95CAF6D7-8707-40DB-92DE-3C86472ACAD9.jpegF27D128D-13F9-4841-9D6A-52EA5C9531E4.jpeg

Attachments

• 56EFB4FA-97B3-4BF7-8792-ECD2852D48DF.jpeg
    56EFB4FA-97B3-4BF7-8792-ECD2852D48DF.jpeg
    333.3 KB · Views: 184
  • 9BE9B77B-AB0D-490A-8885-B387A458A930.jpeg
    9BE9B77B-AB0D-490A-8885-B387A458A930.jpeg
    333.4 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

bow7n

FNG
Congrats, I was asking about this gun the other day, couldn't find any reviews on it. Interested to see how it shoots

OP
Wapiti151

Wapiti151

WKR
Congrats, I was asking about this gun the other day, couldn't find any reviews on it. Interested to see how it shoots
As am I, unfortunately I won’t find out for at least a month or so. Based on the components of this rifle, I have high hopes. Evo action, Shilen bbl, McMillan Cf stock…at least there’s a good starting point, as long as nosler did their part in putting it all together.

To your point, I’m kind of surprised Nosler didn’t get these in the hands of more Gun channels on youtube to do reviews along with the launch. The only one out there is the Outdoor Life review. Didn’t seem like there was much “buzz” at all created by nosler, in fact, I just saw that Mack Bros posted on Instagram about it for the first time last week….rifle was announced two months ago now.

Be350ka

Lil-Rokslider
Pics. Pretty cool that Nosler used Wyatt outdoors for their mag box, makes sense…since they are both in OR. COAL 2.990…tried to get a good picture of the mag. The follower sits in there and there is about 1/10” in additional length past the follower to the front of the mag well.
Thank You. It is a bummer that the mag box may be a bit short for some of the new, longer bullets. With that said maybe those longer/ heavier bullets might require a little faster twist rate too. Who knows. This is a learning experience for me.

OP
Wapiti151

Wapiti151

WKR
Yeah I’m hoping to shoot Hornady factory precision hunters with this (if it likes em). I don’t reload as of now so not a huge concern for me at the moment.

Be350ka

Lil-Rokslider
I spoke with the tech department the other day for about 1 hour and 15 min. David, the only guy in that dept, went over this rifle with me as well as answering all of my questions. He gave me a similar number to the overall max length for reloads so the longer bullets like the new Berger’s will not fit if loaded long. However, I did a little research on the Berger site and a 1:8 twist only provides marginal stability for these new, in David’s terms, “super model” bullets. It appears that a 1:7.5 or faster is needed.

David also gave me an idea of how Nosler builds firearms. If I recall correctly there are 8, yes, eight people who build these firearms. It was stated that most if not all were with other companies within the industry for many years. So, this insight gave me the feeling that there is a sense of pride due to the hands on involvement from each smith in the shop.

It appears that the rifle is doing well however I forgot to ask WHY such a limited rollout. Oh well that will be in the next conversation.

I may just have to get one too just to see what it’s all about.

OP
Wapiti151

Wapiti151

WKR
I spoke with the tech department the other day for about 1 hour and 15 min. David, the only guy in that dept, went over this rifle with me as well as answering all of my questions. He gave me a similar number to the overall max length for reloads so the longer bullets like the new Berger’s will not fit if loaded long. However, I did a little research on the Berger site and a 1:8 twist only provides marginal stability for these new, in David’s terms, “super model” bullets. It appears that a 1:7.5 or faster is needed.

David also gave me an idea of how Nosler builds firearms. If I recall correctly there are 8, yes, eight people who build these firearms. It was stated that most if not all were with other companies within the industry for many years. So, this insight gave me the feeling that there is a sense of pride due to the hands on involvement from each smith in the shop.

It appears that the rifle is doing well however I forgot to ask WHY such a limited rollout. Oh well that will be in the next conversation.

I may just have to get one too just to see what it’s all about.
Awesome info! Thanks for calling in and sharing what you learned. Yeah if I had to guess, they built these rifles to do well in stabilizing “most” bullets…with all the hand loading and new bullets/cartridges being developed now I’d imagine it’s tough to check ALL the boxes as a manufacturer.

That’s pretty amazing that only 8 people are putting these together, that’s about as good as you can get for a “semi-custom” rifle at this price point. I’m pretty infatuated with the thing haha, can’t shoot it yet but often pull it out and just cycle/dry fire. The trigger tech trigger is super crisp…this is my first experience with trigger tech and am pretty impressed in the early stages. Adjustment is very easy and it was nothing getting it down to 2.75# to match my other hunting rifles. Can’t wait to get this thing in the field, just just put in for all my draw tags here in Alaska, depending on the critter, it’ll see some work here and in the mule deer mountains next year.

I’d get one if I were you, why not! and you’d be hard pressed to go out and piece together this exact rifle with all the components for much less. I may find my self getting a MB evo action for the eventual custom build after playing with this one.