Nosler Model 21

OP
Wapiti151

Wapiti151

WKR
Oh, and I forgot to mention. I know Davidsons has these in stock right now, so if you can find a FFL who has an account with davidsons…should be able to get one no problem.

Be350ka

Lil-Rokslider
Oh, and I forgot to mention. I know Davidsons has these in stock right now, so if you can find a FFL who has an account with davidsons…should be able to get one no problem.
Another thing to note is the MSRP on Davidson’s and that listed on the Nosler site. I wonder if there is a price increase coming? Doesn’t matter now. It’s on the way...

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
You guys are not helpful. I don’t need a new rifle. And I think I’ve got my “needed” calibers covered. But I went to the Nosler site and looked at this rifle. And it’s threaded. Doesn’t seem to be CRF like the M70 I didn’t need to look at last night (but it’s not threaded). Now this is stuck in my head and I will research more. Thanks a lot.

OP
Wapiti151

Wapiti151

WKR
My local hook and bullet was able to order one in .300WM. Hopefully it's here by Christmas.
Definitely let me know how that shoots! If my PRC shoots like I hope it does, a 308 or 300 may need to join the party.

OP
Wapiti151

Wapiti151

WKR
You guys are not helpful. I don’t need a new rifle. And I think I’ve got my “needed” calibers covered. But I went to the Nosler site and looked at this rifle. And it’s threaded. Doesn’t seem to be CRF like the M70 I didn’t need to look at last night (but it’s not threaded). Now this is stuck in my head and I will research more. Thanks a lot.
Easy choice. Buy one!

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Easy choice. Buy one!
Yeah - thanks a lot. But then I started down the rabbit hole of caliber selection... I've got bolt action rifles in 270 Win (Ruger American), 25-06 and 30-06 (both Coopers). I will hopefully one day hunt elk with a rifle, but the 30-06 can most likely handle that. And I'm not a long range hunter, but I still spent time looking at 6.5 PRC, 26, 27 and 28 Nosler.... especially since I might have something that fits on the end of the rifle for .30" or less.

Anyone have any idea how it will compare to the Cooper? I know that's a pretty broad question, and probably difficult to judge for a newly released rifle.

BTW, I found a few for sale at a good discount to MSRP.... not helpful at all.

Be350ka

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah - thanks a lot. But then I started down the rabbit hole of caliber selection... I've got bolt action rifles in 270 Win (Ruger American), 25-06 and 30-06 (both Coopers). I will hopefully one day hunt elk with a rifle, but the 30-06 can most likely handle that. And I'm not a long range hunter, but I still spent time looking at 6.5 PRC, 26, 27 and 28 Nosler.... especially since I might have something that fits on the end of the rifle for .30" or less.

Anyone have any idea how it will compare to the Cooper? I know that's a pretty broad question, and probably difficult to judge for a newly released rifle.

BTW, I found a few for sale at a good discount to MSRP.... not helpful at all.
Yea. You are pretty much outa luck here. Everything is going against you. What pushed me is the msrp on Davidson’s is 500 less than the Nosler site. I was concerned that a price hike was coming and I’d kick myself for not pulling the trigger.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Yea. You are pretty much outa luck here. Everything is going against you. What pushed me is the msrp on Davidson’s is 500 less than the Nosler site. I was concerned that a price hike was coming and I’d kick myself for not pulling the trigger.
I found a pretty good deal, so the temptation is there. And I can spend a few hours debating which among the offered calibers I don't need the least. Maybe checking the ammo prices will cause me to step back from the ledge... $7 per for Nosler 28. Nosler 26 and 27 - not available. $3.34 for Nosler 30 and $4.50 for 6.5 PRC. The money I would "save" on my "good deal" would quickly evaporate!

Be350ka

Lil-Rokslider
I found a pretty good deal, so the temptation is there. And I can spend a few hours debating which among the offered calibers I don't need the least. Maybe checking the ammo prices will cause me to step back from the ledge... $7 per for Nosler 28. Nosler 26 and 27 - not available. $3.34 for Nosler 30 and $4.50 for 6.5 PRC. The money I would "save" on my "good deal" would quickly evaporate!
Yea. I’d never pay those highway robbery prices on gb for ammo. I have enough brass to load that can keep me going for a little while. If you don’t reload it could get really expensive.

hodgeman

WKR
Now that I'm waiting on the delivery truck...

Does anyone know what the scope mount spacing is? I thought I read it takes Remington 700 bases and I have a bunch of those laying around.

It comes with bases, but they look really tall- I tend to prefer a scope tucked as low as I can get it. Both of the rifles pictured scoped have them sitting a lot higher on the action than I'd likely care for.

Still debating on a scope, thinking something like a Zeiss V4 or a Leopold VX3HD to keep some ounces off. For that matter, I might stick a 6x FX3 on it and just call it a day since this will be a pure hunting rifle for me.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Yea. I’d never pay those highway robbery prices on gb for ammo. I have enough brass to load that can keep me going for a little while. If you don’t reload it could get really expensive.
HA! Those prices were online retail prices from AmmoSeek! I didn't even bother checking GB.

Be350ka

Lil-Rokslider
Now that I'm waiting on the delivery truck...

Does anyone know what the scope mount spacing is? I thought I read it takes Remington 700 bases and I have a bunch of those laying around.

It comes with bases, but they look really tall- I tend to prefer a scope tucked as low as I can get it. Both of the rifles pictured scoped have them sitting a lot higher on the action than I'd likely care for.

Still debating on a scope, thinking something like a Zeiss V4 or a Leopold VX3HD to keep some ounces off. For that matter, I might stick a 6x FX3 on it and just call it a day since this will be a pure hunting rifle for me.
I’m with you here. I too thought that the displayed scopes looked like there was considerable room left to lower their position. Leupold lists their low rings to have a .89 height, med is ~1.0. The scope on the Nosler site appears to be a 44mm objective. If the Nosler bases are slightly taller than others I’d say the low rings would be the ticket since leupold recommends med rings for objectives over 40mm. The other scope is the NX8 (50mm obj) and maybe Hawkins rings. If I’m right they look like the same rings that I put on a 243 project.

I’m likely going to go with a VX6 3-18. Not sure if I want the 44 or 50 obj. As far as rings go I’ll order low and med to play around and return what doesn’t work.

Side question: has anyone used the Nightforce extra light Ti rings?

OP
Wapiti151

Wapiti151

WKR
I’m going with a VX3 hd on mine to save over a half pound from a VX5 or 6. I find that those are golden out to 600 yards (won’t take a shot longer than that on a critter) and this will be a dedicated hunting rifle. Love the FOV on my vx5, but just can’t justify it for this one.

For the 40mm-42mm, I am going to order low and extra low. The bases are pretty tall, and I’ve never used anything but lows with the 4.5-14x40

I haven’t used those NF rings, but I have looked at them. I’m going back and forth on what rings I want on this rifle.

Fwafwow: you can’t go wrong with any of the calibers mentioned above. I have a 28 nosler, and that round is unbelievable…I just hate the tube length you really need to realize it’s potential. Wouldn’t be bad for the high desert hunts, but lugging it in timber makes you want to toss it off the mountain, ask me how i know. Lol.

Excited to hear everyone’s thoughts on the rifle! I have a feeling the MSRP is just stated very high in Noslers site, I don’t expect a price hike. Ruger and some others do that. I just looked up the MAP (min ad price) on the M21 and it’s $1999, so that’s the number that matters. Most retailers should have them at that price since that’s what nosler holds them to.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Fwafwow: you can’t go wrong with any of the calibers mentioned above. I have a 28 nosler, and that round is unbelievable…I just hate the tube length you really need to realize it’s potential. Wouldn’t be bad for the high desert hunts, but lugging it in timber makes you want to toss it off the mountain, ask me how i know. Lol.

I just looked up the MAP (min ad price) on the M21 and it’s $1999, so that’s the number that matters. Most retailers should have them at that price since that’s what nosler holds them to.
I'm officially un-watching this thread. Soon. Very soon.

OK - for $hits and giggles - of the 6.5 PRC, 26, 27 and 28 Nosler, what do you pick? Don't ask me what I'm using the rifle for, as I've already established that the rifle isn't needed, and the capabilities of those calibers are all overkill for my (at least current) hunting needs. (But I've got a 5.7mm pistol and 500 rounds of ammo for it that I don't "need" either.) As for the tube length @Wapiti151 - factor in the added length of a can on top of it. (And is the "151" in your name a Bacardi reference?)

As for the $1999 MAP price, there are M21s out there for significantly less than that, which (along with you folks) is a major part of my problem now.

OP
Wapiti151

Wapiti151

WKR
I'm officially un-watching this thread. Soon. Very soon.

OK - for $hits and giggles - of the 6.5 PRC, 26, 27 and 28 Nosler, what do you pick? Don't ask me what I'm using the rifle for, as I've already established that the rifle isn't needed, and the capabilities of those calibers are all overkill for my (at least current) hunting needs. (But I've got a 5.7mm pistol and 500 rounds of ammo for it that I don't "need" either.) As for the tube length @Wapiti151 - factor in the added length of a can on top of it. (And is the "151" in your name a Bacardi reference?)

As for the $1999 MAP price, there are M21s out there for significantly less than that, which (along with you folks) is a major part of my problem now.
Yeah if you are putting a can on it, I’d go PRC out of those options, but I’m kind of biased (have caliber blinders on at the moment) because I just got a PRC and have been going deep down that rabbit hole lately. Or, go with a 308 and play with that. You have flexibility there long term where you could eventually chop the barrel down to 18” without losing much performance. I think (not an expert) if you chop the PRC down to 20” or so you are getting a bit more than creedmoor performance. But, still creedmoor performance out if a shorter, handier rifle. So that’s NOT a bad thing. That’s what I would do anyway 🤷🏻‍♂️

We all know you’re gonna get it, I think you should just get it now and join us in our pleasure. 😜

Haha kind of, it’s a play on it. I don’t drink, but needed some number after wapiti and that’s what I came up with.

OP
Wapiti151

Wapiti151

WKR
Cancel that 308 idea, forgot your can is for smaller than .30. I’m in the PRC club on this one, 26 nos would be good if not, you already have a 270. Either one of those will take elk out to 600 if you do your job.

I just need to find PRC ammo, it’s nonexistent in Anchorage

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Cancel that 308 idea, forgot your can is for smaller than .30. I’m in the PRC club on this one, 26 nos would be good if not, you already have a 270. Either one of those will take elk out to 600 if you do your job.

I just need to find PRC ammo, it’s nonexistent in Anchorage
My can is 0.30” but if I’m getting an unneeded caliber, I’d like something other than 308 since I have 30-06.

If I was forced to pick one now, I think I’d go with the 28 or 30 Nosler. I’d be able to shoot it in a year or so when I find ammo.

kipper09

WKR
I’m really interested in one of these in a 28 nosler. I shoot factory ammo so it should work fine. The rings and mounts are a little hang up for me. I like the scope mounted low as well. I think I want to put a 42 or 44mm scope on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk