Nosler Model 21

OP
Wapiti151

Wapiti151

WKR
I’m really interested in one of these in a 28 nosler. I shoot factory ammo so it should work fine. The rings and mounts are a little hang up for me. I like the scope mounted low as well. I think I want to put a 42 or 44mm scope on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What’s the hang up? The bases from the factory aren’t integral…if you don’t want the pic rail, you can always take them off and do low one piece talley rings or whatever you want. I’m 95% sure it takes standard 700 bases. I haven’t done it yet, but I’m betting extra low rings will work on this with a 40mm objective and the factory bases.

kipper09

WKR
What’s the hang up? The bases from the factory aren’t integral…if you don’t want the pic rail, you can always take them off and do low one piece talley rings or whatever you want. I’m 95% sure it takes standard 700 bases. I haven’t done it yet, but I’m betting extra low rings will work on this with a 40mm objective and the factory bases.

Ok. That’s the info I was wanting. I wasn’t sure if you could use a Talley or something else. Hawkins hybrid or something maybe

amassi

WKR
I'd assume the bolt would hit your eyepiece with a 90* bolt throw

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
Wapiti151

Wapiti151

WKR
Ok. That’s the info I was wanting. I wasn’t sure if you could use a Talley or something else. Hawkins hybrid or something maybe

Yeah just two torque screws in each base.

Massi, I was saying with the bases that come from the factory (they are pretty high) I think Xlow will work fine. If I was using talleys or something else for a 40-42 mm I’d go with a low.

kipper09

WKR
I ordered a 28 nosler today. Thinking I’ll put a brake on it. Gonna start looking at those now. Any input on that?

kipper09

WKR
Is there a specific Ti pro I should be looking at? There’s several different ones.

OP
Wapiti151

Wapiti151

WKR
I like the Ti pro 2 self timing version. Can’t go wrong with the weight or OAL for a hunting rifle

amassi

WKR
Is there a specific Ti pro I should be looking at? There’s several different ones.

I'd get the one closest to the od of the barrel. Even the tiny is an extremely effective brake

kipper09

WKR
Good deal. I’m trying to find out if the 28 is 5/8x24 and about what the barrel diameter is at the shoulder where it meets the threads. Probably gonna have to wait to get that measurement

Be350ka

Lil-Rokslider
Well I just returned home with the PRC! Remember the conversation about not taking baby steps? Orders have been placed and it should be completed next week.

The fit and finish is awesome. The action is clean. I’m very satisfied with the trigger and it’s adjustability. One thing that I forgot to ask about was the safety. You DO NOT have to move the safety to fire to unload a loaded round. Bravo!!

I got a little nervous today before I went to the shop to pick it up. I found a 6.5 PRC Clymer from Gunwerks at a shop that they allowed me to play with. I was afraid that some of my impulsivity would cause a chain of decisions to derail my logical plan. I’m happy to report that I conquered a demon and walked out empty handed.

In all seriousness, this is one awesome rifle. If you are looking for a light weight (quite light actually) rifle this is your baby. I don’t regret this decision one bit.

Pics of completed build in a week.

Knoxp

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys first post here. I ordered my 6.5 PRC about two weeks ago and picked it up this week. I was able to swing one off of a GB dealers website for less than 1,600. With a MSRP of 2700 a rumored MAP of 1999. It seemed to good to be true.

Fit and finish are what I would expect from a custom rifle. The McMillan stock, the Mack Brothers action, the Trigger Tech are all wonderful. I also like that the bolt is seralized to the rifle. My SN is under 100, which is cool. I am excited to get an optic mounted and some ammo to test the barrel.

Here are some pictures .

808BE5D7-DBF8-4B13-BA1A-6F3519BB6632.jpeg02E1DBFF-14DA-48C0-9E89-0BEE0185D057.jpeg4B092EFE-FEB1-4E03-A942-7CB04A7AD49E.jpeg89E9CE2E-850B-4AFE-A774-1BD73031DC4C.jpeg

B31015B7-D895-4D88-9DE2-C456444ED92A.jpeg

amassi

WKR
Well I just returned home with the PRC! Remember the conversation about not taking baby steps? Orders have been placed and it should be completed next week.

The fit and finish is awesome. The action is clean. I’m very satisfied with the trigger and it’s adjustability. One thing that I forgot to ask about was the safety. You DO NOT have to move the safety to fire to unload a loaded round. Bravo!!

I got a little nervous today before I went to the shop to pick it up. I found a 6.5 PRC Clymer from Gunwerks at a shop that they allowed me to play with. I was afraid that some of my impulsivity would cause a chain of decisions to derail my logical plan. I’m happy to report that I conquered a demon and walked out empty handed.

In all seriousness, this is one awesome rifle. If you are looking for a light weight (quite light actually) rifle this is your baby. I don’t regret this decision one bit.

Pics of completed build in a week.
Is it a 3 pos safety or does the bolt not lock on safe?

Be350ka

Lil-Rokslider
Okay. I’m leaving this vague for the moment. I may have some function issues. In a safe area please inspect the function of loading (specifically 2nd round), bolt lock and brass inspection upon ejection.

Be350ka

Lil-Rokslider
Okay. I’m leaving this vague for the moment. I may have some function issues. In a safe area please inspect the function of loading (specifically 2nd round), bolt lock and brass inspection upon ejection.
Update:

Here is the deal. I checked magazines feed with three rounds to ensure function. First round feed was spot on. Second round would result in bolt overriding the round due to follower “sticking” to allow the back of the round to lie slightly below the lower bolt face. Last round was flawless feeding. After performing this exercise several times with similar results I decided to see what was up. I examined the rounds and noticed a few dimples in the shoulder and neck area on all three rounds. I looked into the chamber with the bolt removed and noticed a few “black areas” that may have corresponded with these dimples. I took a few patches (dry) and ran them through the chamber and throat. They came out mostly clean. I the. Inspected the chamber again and the “black” was gone. I’m assuming that it might have been some carbon or oil that caused the problem, because I took two more rounds and single fed them to bolt lock and they are dimple free.

So, problem one seems to be solved!! Now the follower issue. Remember, it’s only the second round with a feed issue. I would load two rounds into the magazine and close the bolt by pushing down on the second round to allow the bolt to ride over it. Then cycle it to load the second round only to have the bolt ride over it almost 100% of the time. A quick push on the rounds in the mag would then allow for normal feeding. The long story made short... I took a Remington oil rag and cleaned the magazine box thoroughly along with the spring and follower. I did notice a slight wear mark, indicating slight contact, on the back left and right corners of the follower. This would correspond to the second round riding low allowing the bolt override. After the cleaning and light oil application the gun began to function as normal. I stopped after 3-4 successful attempts to allow me to sleep. Otherwise I’d be on the road in the morning to buy that Gunwerks that i mentioned.

Give ‘em a good scrub down guys. Check the function with real rounds IN A SAFE AREA to ensure flawless usage.

I’ll keep an eye on this, but I’m thinking that the follower ordeal may be more of a breakin issue that will go away with time. I’ve got the Davidson’s guarantee if not so no sweat off my back.

Enjoy. It’s an awesome gun. Just look it over well.

Last edited:

Be350ka

Lil-Rokslider
Update:

Here is the deal. I checked magazines feed with three rounds to ensure function. First round feed was spot on. Second round would result in bolt overriding the round due to follower “sticking” to allow the back of the round to lie slightly below the lower bolt face. Last round was flawless feeding. After performing this exercise several times with similar results I decided to see what was up. I examined the rounds and noticed a few dimples in the shoulder and neck area on all three rounds. I looked into the chamber with the bolt removed and noticed a few “black areas” that may have corresponded with these dimples. I took a few patches (dry) and ran them through the chamber and throat. They came out mostly clean. I the. Inspected the chamber again and the “black” was gone. I’m assuming that it might have been some carbon or oil that caused the problem, because I took two more rounds and single fed them to bolt lock and they are dimple free.

So, problem one seems to be solved!! Now the follower issue. Remember, it’s only the second round with a feed issue. I would load two rounds into the magazine and close the bolt by pushing down on the second round to allow the bolt to ride over it. Then cycle it to load the second round only to have the bolt ride over it almost 100% of the time. A quick push on the rounds in the mag would then allow for normal feeding. The long story made short... I took a Remington oil rag and cleaned the magazine box thoroughly along with the spring and follower. I did notice a slight wear mark, indicating slight contact, on the back left and right corners of the follower. This would correspond to the second round riding low allowing the bolt override. After the cleaning and light oil application the gun began to function as normal. I stopped after 3-4 successful attempts to allow me to sleep. Otherwise I’d be on the road in the morning to buy that Gunwerks that i mentioned.

Give ‘em a good scrub down guys. Check the function with real rounds IN A SAFE AREA to ensure flawless usage.

I’ll keep an eye on this, but I’m thinking that the follower ordeal may be more of a breakin issue that will go away with time. I’ve got the Davidson’s guarantee if not so no sweat off my back.

Enjoy. It’s an awesome gun. Just look it over well.

Further Update:

Feeding issues continue. If I push down on the back of the follower it will hang up slightly where a slight push on the front will result in a “snap” into position on the left front. It’s almost like the left front of the follower and the receiver aren’t getting along. It appears that the spring pressure isn’t keeping the back of the round elevated. Messing with the spring helps some but who wants to orient the rounds every time you cycle the bolt. Testing continues.

Last edited: