Nosler RDF - Anyone give these a go yet?

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
How you doing fellas, not sure if I've missed it but has anyone given these a go yet?

RDF Bullets — Nosler - Bullets, Brass, Ammunition & Rifles

Pretty outrageous claims on the BC's. I'm getting all my components together for a 6.5 creedmore that will get used for matches and hunting. I was planning to use ELD-X'S or M's but I'm wondering if these are worth some consideration. I'm sure they'd be great for long range matches if you can get them to shoot.

I'm thinking about giving the 130's a go, more speed, still super high BC.

AKironhead

Lil-Rokslider
I have used the 140 RDF bullets quite a bit in .260 rem and 6.5 creed. They have performed pretty good although I can say that in my experience the BC listed is not accurate. Stated BC for the 140 is a bit high at least in the velocity range I am shooting in. Nosler claims .658 g1 .330 g7. Brian litz lists them at .611 g1 and .313 g7. I run them at 2780 and the trued bc comes in around .625 g1. Very similar to the 140 ELDM. Both of these are great bullets and for me it would simply come down to which one was more readily available, or if one bullet shot better out of a particular barrel. Note: a lot of the accuracy issues claimed with the RDF bullets is do to jump distance. I set them .05 off the lands and they shoot great. ELD's seem to be a bit more forgiving in that dept. But like everything in LR shooting "your mileage may vary" so test everything for yourself in your rifle.

I would personally use, the Bullet that, you intend to Hunt with. I tried 140 grain Nosler, Ballistic Tips ( for practice, because cheaper ) and they were, very accurate ! But, upon comparing them with, the 140 gr. AccuBonds ( same amt. of Powder/ Velocity, etc.) they, did NOT, shoot to "exactly",.. the same POI for me ! And,..the farther out you go, the MORE, the disparity ! I'd work up ONE load and set your scope's "tape" to Dial for IT ! I hunt with a .270 WSM and felt the Bal Tip's would be too, "explosive" at over 3,100 FPS for, close shots ! All things considered, the cost of Bullets are cheap, compared to the cost of, "the Trip" ! I returned all, the Bal Tip's and exclusively use AccBond's, even for Practice ! Bullets, go on sale, several times a year, so I "stock up", on the cheap, then ! Note; I am not recommending that, you use AccuBonds, but pick a worthy,.. HUNTING, Bullet and TEST them for, expansion and LR, accuracy !

My son is using, Horn ELD-X bullets, 162 grain in his 7mm-08 @ 2,700 FPS and he is, happy !
About, BC's, tho,.. Nosler and some other, Co's, "Fudge", the BC #'s a bit, so TEST them, at distance !
The .277 dia. 140 AccuBonds really have, a BC closer to .485 than, the "advertised" .496, ( but, close enough !) that, plus their awesome expansion, accuracy and consistent "Mushroom" is, WHY I chose them ! SOME bullets, are way "off" on BC, tho ! Good Luck with "your choice" and keep us, posted !

OP
Journeyman

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info guys. I’ve taken a bunch of guys advise and been putting together my setup. I have a Tikka CTR on the way. I bought a scope off the classifieds here (LRHS 3-12). Picked up some nightforce rings from another classified as well as 400 once fired norma brass to start with.

The best thing I’ve done was range officer a PRS style match over in Three Forks at the beginning of February. Learned a ton after watching 40 guys shoot our station that had targets from 250-855 with 20-30 mile an hour crosswinds. We had one guy clear our station, 13 rounds all impacts!!

I joined the range that held the match and can’t wait to get shooting there. They have steel out to 1400 yards!

Thanks again for the info on bullets, I may just stick with the ELD’s to start.