Nosler Varmageddon on Coyote/Wolf

fatbacks

WKR
In the middle of loading a bunch of .223 REM for this winter. Rifle mostly resides in my scabbard snow machining around Alaska in the winter.

Have a bunch of 55 gr tipped Nosler Varmageddon. Will these suffice on wolf and coyotes if I happen to run across them in this winter? Worried they might be too explosive.

Anyone have any experience with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve used these same bullets in 223 and they seem to be relatively hard on fur but they kill pretty good. I’m pretty sure they’re advertised as more of a prairie dog bullet.

I have had really good luck with their ballistic tip varmint bullet if you can find any of those. Can’t ever really find enterance and never any exit unless you’re at pretty close range.

lennywd87

Lil-Rokslider
I’d have to agree with @MillenialHunter. It all comes down to shot placement for the most part. You’ll never find a bullet that will run across the body at a glance and not tear things up.

I run the 55gr HP Varmagedon in .243 win (3850fps) for reaching out on the windy days in the ND plains and have had good results with straight on and broadside shots. I use a .17 Remington (.204 necked down) most of the time and even that little ripper can tear things up on a bad shot but usually I can’t tell where I hit it.

Hornady Vmax have always done well for me and I know a buddy shooting coyotes with 95gr out a 6.5CM who isn’t tearing up fur. Might be worth the upgrade if taking wolves.

DCT1983

Lil-Rokslider
55 gr is what I shoot out of my 223 for coyotes. When shot right you don't even see a hole and no exit like mentioned above. I can't speak to how they would do on a wolf though. I might think that you wanted something a little bigger but I am sure if you hit them right it would kill them.

Elk botherer

Lil-Rokslider
In the middle of loading a bunch of .223 REM for this winter. Rifle mostly resides in my scabbard snow machining around Alaska in the winter.

Have a bunch of 55 gr tipped Nosler Varmageddon. Will these suffice on wolf and coyotes if I happen to run across them in this winter? Worried they might be too explosive.

I’ve shot a few coyotes with them and they do mangle the fur pretty good. I use Varmegeddons on rock chucks mostly and they perform great on them. I wouldn’t even think of using them on wolves intentionally, I’d get a better put together bullet to get the penetration needed to prevent a splash on a shoulder shot. Sucks to knock one down and have it run away and never catch back up to it.

I shot one coyote with a 55gr hp varmageddon last winter. It had a .223cal sized entrance and no exit. I was thinking about picking up some tipped ones as they have been available at SPS...but idk.

lennywd87

Lil-Rokslider

@fatbacks I have a 6mm x 45mm (.243x.223) barrel for an AR rifle I’m looking to get rid of. Since you reload this might be right up your alley. It can be loaded up to 100gr down to 55gr. It’s a .223 case necked out to a .243 bullet dia. Very versatile for varmints and deer. The dies are a as simple as a .243 resizing ball in a .223 full length die.