Not another puffy question...

Bump79

WKR
Oh man, I hadn't heard that. Super big? I'm normally a large or xl... would it be best to go large?
For me I liked the fit of the medium tall. I'm 5'11" 195 athletic build longer arms.

I've got a feeling I'm going to like this Decathlon synthetic a lot. Size XL.

I'm a cheap ass. I tried the Uncompaghre, Kuiu Kenai, Kuiu Superdown and honestly they all have their ups/downs. But as far as bang for your buck goes I didn't feel like I was getting twice or three times the performance.

Gear choices require some self introspection. Do you really backpack enough to justify spending 3x as much to cut 2 ounces.

nlrudy

FNG
I have a kuiu Super down and a rab microlight. Both are very warm. The hood or no hood is what always gets me. So having one of each is a help….

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am apparently a gear whore.

Now that we have that out of the way,

What really matters in a puffy?

I have been doing a ton of digging to understand fill, insulation types and shell materials.

I have an Amazon brand puffy. I really like it for the 22$ I got it on sale for. The fit is OK, it's a big huge in the body. It's surprisingly warm (but not having any experience with a higher end puffy it might not be as warm as something else) it's even kinda wind resistant.
It's decently quiet unless its super cold (I have shot 5 or 6 deer in it, and it generally doesn't do anything great or poorly.

However, I have this strong desire to upgrade for no other reason than I really want to.

I am looking at a few options.

Sitka Celsius Midi-
Eddie Bauer cirrus lite hooded
Sitka aerolite hooded
Sitka kelvin lite down

I can't quite figure out what really matters in a puffy. Here is what I want the puffy to be able to do-

I want a packable puffy that I can take elk hunting so I can glass, wear it to bed at night to stay warm and wear first thing in the morning because I'm turning into a freeze baby.

I want a puffy that I can take deer and turkey hunting that isn't so loud that it will spook deer on a calm cold morning. I can wear it under a quiet fleece or shell too, so I guess this isn't my #1 priority.

Camo is unimportant to me in a puffy. If it's camo, amazing. If it's earth tone, amazing. If it's blue or bright yellow, I'm out. Lol

Dwr might be nice to have to slick light precip off.

Price is relatively unimportant to me in this case. I'd love to buy it on sale if possible but if it's something that I will love, I will pay for quality and dependability.

I want something durable enough to not need to be super careful. I'm not gonna wear it busting brush, but I use my gear. This cheap one has held up so far.

Having never owned anything down except my sleeping bag... is down the way to go or is synthetic better for my use?

Is there one puffy that will meet my needs, or am I stuck with a two puffy (or 3 let's be serious I'll end up buying a vest too I'm sure) system for early/ mid season and one for cold cold?

Are expensive puffy jackets really that much warmer? Am I missing out by not having a better puffy?

I have read through a bunch of forums here and Google it to the point where now all the ads on my phone are for puffy jackets...

Help me figure out what I really need
You should go with FORLOH - https://forloh.com/products/mens-thermoneutral-down-jacket?variant=32311188389972

This midlayer insulation and quick drying properties, thanks to the DWR treated 650 fill organic duck down. Each individual down duck feather is treated with Activ-Dri Down™ keeping the down drier and reducing water or sweat absorption by over 60%; so it retains its loft and warmth to weight ratio, even if you get caught in a rainstorm. The quick-drying properties are ideal for overnight backcountry trips where you need quick-drying capabilities.

sndmn11

WKR
Fill power X fill weight = insulation volume

Insulation volume will give you a great idea on "warmth" assuming the garments are the same size/hooded/etc

800 fill X 10oz = 8000
650 fill X 12oz = 7800

You would need more than 2oz more of the 650 fill in the above example to have the same insulation volume/loft.

Decide what is important to you in the weight vs loft scenario. Then look at the shell fabric for the properties you wish, i.e. super light or somewhat durable or breathable or water resistant etc.

It almost sounds like you want a down sweater and a down vest such as the First Lite Brooks pieces.

Bump79

WKR
You should go with FORLOH - https://forloh.com/products/mens-thermoneutral-down-jacket?variant=32311188389972

This midlayer insulation and quick drying properties, thanks to the DWR treated 650 fill organic duck down. Each individual down duck feather is treated with Activ-Dri Down™ keeping the down drier and reducing water or sweat absorption by over 60%; so it retains its loft and warmth to weight ratio, even if you get caught in a rainstorm. The quick-drying properties are ideal for overnight backcountry trips where you need quick-drying capabilities.
When will you be adding a hoody option?

TSAMP

WKR
Oh man, I hadn't heard that. Super big? I'm normally a large or xl... would it be best to go large?
I have a large EB non hooded cirrus. Im a medium in t shirts, large in most jackets. It runs a tad on the small side but I wear it on late season phez hunts over a shirt or base. It's been remarkably durable and is very light. I own a few other more expensive and it's what I grab first everytime. Warmth wise it may not be best for you if your stationary.

SMOKYMTN

WKR

I think that comes down to personal preference. Some guys value warmth over weight, some guys value weight over warmth, and some value style, cost, fabric toughness, fit, etc, over all else.

For me, I want a blend of it all. No frills but warm, not delicate, but not 3lbs either. I tried the FL Brooks and wasn't impressed. Too thin and the seams in the baffling of the arms fell apart after the first wash. FL took care of me but I sold the replacement. I tried the Ghost Whisperer and loved the warmth to weight ratio but the fabric was as delicate as a wet paper bag. It had no place in my kit for my style of hunting. I LOVED the Stone Glacier Grumman BUT it was just too warm for my needs. I settled on the Marmot Highlander Down Hoody and feel so far that it checks all of my boxes so far. It's affordable. Warmer and better built than the Brooks, tougher Pertex fabric than the Ghost Whisperer but still very packable, comes it at roughly 1.5lbs for the XXL, and doesn't burn me up like the Grumman which makes it more versatile because I can wear it more. One day I'd like to try the Feathered Friends EOS hoody when I find a reason to buy another.

OP
E
For me I liked the fit of the medium tall. I'm 5'11" 195 athletic build longer arms.

I've got a feeling I'm going to like this Decathlon synthetic a lot. Size XL.

I'm a cheap ass. I tried the Uncompaghre, Kuiu Kenai, Kuiu Superdown and honestly they all have their ups/downs. But as far as bang for your buck goes I didn't feel like I was getting twice or three times the performance.

Gear choices require some self introspection. Do you really backpack enough to justify spending 3x as much to cut 2 ounces.
I definitely dont backpack enough to justify worrying about ounces. I sure wish I did though...

I'm not really concerned with weight, but function and durability matter to me. If I put on the puffy I want to stay warm. I'd also like it to be packable so I can take it with more often, and if I can get 3 seasons of use out of it for a couple years without it falling apart that would make me super happy.

I'm not sure if water resistance or water proofness matters to me with a puffy. I'm. Also not sure I need windstopper if it comes at the cost of noise. I have been wearing my current puffy archery deer hunting and its not super loud, but I can imagine that a cold clear November morning with no wind might change my mind. It hasn't cost me a deer yet, but my mind might change watching a big buck run away from hearing the crinkle LOL

OP
E
I have a kuiu Super down and a rab microlight. Both are very warm. The hood or no hood is what always gets me. So having one of each is a help….
I think I have to have a hood for the puffy going elk hunting. I sleep super cold now and that hood inside the sleeping bag really helps....

But for deer hunting I would really like to go with no hood. Too many hoods deer hunting drives me nuts haha

OP
E

Damn that looks like a beast of a puffy. How is the fit and how is the noise?

OP
E
Fill power X fill weight = insulation volume

Insulation volume will give you a great idea on "warmth" assuming the garments are the same size/hooded/etc

800 fill X 10oz = 8000
650 fill X 12oz = 7800

You would need more than 2oz more of the 650 fill in the above example to have the same insulation volume/loft.

Decide what is important to you in the weight vs loft scenario. Then look at the shell fabric for the properties you wish, i.e. super light or somewhat durable or breathable or water resistant etc.

It almost sounds like you want a down sweater and a down vest such as the First Lite Brooks pieces.
Man that's super helpful. So I could essentially do the same thing with synthetics to compare as well, correct?

Walk me through the down sweater and down vest idea... I'm intrigued

OP
E
I have a large EB non hooded cirrus. Im a medium in t shirts, large in most jackets. It runs a tad on the small side but I wear it on late season phez hunts over a shirt or base. It's been remarkably durable and is very light. I own a few other more expensive and it's what I grab first everytime. Warmth wise it may not be best for you if your stationary.
That's super helpful. Thank you!

OP
E

I think that comes down to personal preference. Some guys value warmth over weight, some guys value weight over warmth, and some value style, cost, fabric toughness, fit, etc, over all else.

For me, I want a blend of it all. No frills but warm, not delicate, but not 3lbs either. I tried the FL Brooks and wasn't impressed. Too thin and the seams in the baffling of the arms fell apart after the first wash. FL took care of me but I sold the replacement. I tried the Ghost Whisperer and loved the warmth to weight ratio but the fabric was as delicate as a wet paper bag. It had no place in my kit for my style of hunting. I LOVED the Stone Glacier Grumman BUT it was just too warm for my needs. I settled on the Marmot Highlander Down Hoody and feel so far that it checks all of my boxes so far. It's affordable. Warmer and better built than the Brooks, tougher Pertex fabric than the Ghost Whisperer but still very packable, comes it at roughly 1.5lbs for the XXL, and doesn't burn me up like the Grumman which makes it more versatile because I can wear it more. One day I'd like to try the Feathered Friends EOS hoody when I find a reason to buy another.
Sounds about like what I need. I'll look into that one for sure. With the Grumman, would you wear it if you were completely stationary and still overheat?
I'm rapidly becoming a sissy with the cold so that might be an option for me...

OP
E
Really just me speculating on durability but the face fabric feels very thin and tearable
That would make me leary about it too. That's why I can't buy anything ultralight. I'm so afraid to break it that I end up breaking it...