Not eating meat before a hunt?

BSeals71

WKR
Has anyone tried this? If so have you noticed a difference?

I've heard of guys (including Randy Ulmer) that stop eating meat about a month before their deer/elk hunt to help reduce certain smells produced by body odor.

tttoadman

WKR
I refrain from eating meat on the hunt because I have convinced myself the wolves will come and eat me if I smell like a PC of jerky. This does not apply to base camping in the wall tent, just when I pack out for a few days.

Shrek

WKR
I refrain from eating meat on the hunt because I have convinced myself the wolves will come and eat me if I smell like a PC of jerky. This does not apply to base camping in the wall tent, just when I pack out for a few days.

I don't know , I think smelling like the top predator that you are is a deterrent to bears and wolves f'n with you. Anything that smells like it eats lots of meat means it has the ability to kill things and should be avoided. Eat all veggies and you might start to smell like prey.

Shrek

WKR
How silly. I don't care what you do, what spray you use , what scent block clothing or electro magnetic blocking hecs garbage bag of a shirt you put on. A animal can and will wind you. Half the time were stopping at taco bell on the way in.
This is true but I can tell you that I can manage my scent to the point I don't smell close. When I really work at it I've had deer 20 yards down wind and not blow out because I don't smell strong like I'm close. I am hunting around small farms with houses so there is a little human scent around all the time. I don't know if it would work out west in a remote area without constant human presence. Out west I'm strictly hunting wind but around the house hunting small plots I work on scent control very hard along with hunting into the wind.

Mtnboy

WKR
I'd rather just play the wind myself, if they smell something weird they are gone either way, I see no reason to alter your life so that they can run from a different smell than you normally have....that's just me though, I certainly don't have the notches on my belt that Ulmer does.

tttoadman

WKR
How silly. I don't care what you do, what spray you use , what scent block clothing or electro magnetic blocking hecs garbage bag of a shirt you put on. A animal can and will wind you. Half the time were stopping at taco bell on the way in.

You are probably right. Maybe its the fact that I can't even smell and elk because the stench of pepperoni on my own breath is all around me.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member

Bingo. If the wind's right, it's right. So, you don't have that meat smell. What about the buckets of sweat and other bodily odors one is emitting after climbing 3,000 feet? I know a lot of hunters go out of their way (and spend a shitload of money) to eliminate scent but guess what, you can't. Ain't nothing going to stop all them skin rafts coming off you. Time to break out the jerky..............:cool:

Randy

littlebuf

Banned
Not mention every time you exhale. And I don't care what your eating your breath smells out of place up there

The more protein I can take in before/during/after a hunt the better.
As far as stink, I subscribe to the notion that less stink is better.
I usually start taking zinc tablets a couple weeks before hunting season.
Zinc sweats out on the skin and makes a huge difference in bacteria
growth on the skin surface. Also really helps w/ crotch rot, monkey butt
and jungle foot.

So I do my best to reduce my stink signature within reason.
But you still have to hunt the wind. I just think a lower scent signature
buys you a little more forgiveness with swirling wind.
The lower the scent the more forgiveness.

I guess this is the blacktail hunter coming out in me.
I use to be really really anal about scent control and I can tell you that you can become almost invisible w/ respect to scent signature. I used to scent shower & brush my teeth w/ vodka just before heading out and I used to keep a whole set of boots/socks/clothes all sealed up in bags that I would change into for bear & blacktail hunting. When I did that, I could get away w/ way more than if I did nothing.

But I never omitted protein from the diet.

As I've gotten older, I've gotten lazier & lazier w/ respect to scent control.
And my partner doesn't believe it helps and never has done anything to
reduce his scent, so I stopped going to all these pains.
All except the zinc, I still take the zinc tablets simply because it's
easy and good for my overall hunt health.
Hunt'nFish

Last edited:

JG358

WKR
Seems pretty silly to me. One, you'll never not smell out of place to woodland critters. Two, I dont think I could go a month without eating meat(or even a couple days for that matter).