Not eating meat before a hunt?

I'm going to try and get a selfie this weekend of me eating a pep stick with an elk on the background!

Trr15

WKR
LOL. Some funny stuff in this thread... Seriously though, no meat, no coffee? Thats just crazy talk.

wawhitey

Lil-Rokslider
a month before the hunt huh? in that case i wouldnt be able to eat meat from august 1st until april, leaving me 4 months a year to eat meat. what a joke. eat meat, you still have to play the wind.

Poser

WKR
Let's reframe the question:

Q. What percentage of successful hunters intentionally give up meat before they hunt?
A. A tiny fraction, so insignificant that the % is not a variable in success rate.

Q. What percentage of unsuccessful hunters intentionally give up meat before they hunt?
A. A tiny fraction, so insignificant that the % is not a variable in success rate.

Q. What percentage of successful hunters do not intentionally give up meat before they hunt?
A. 99%+

Conclusion: Eat meat or don't eat meat, it is a non factor in determining success rates with regards to hunting. For every success story of a person going on a meat fast so the animals can't smell them, one can easily find 5 stories about guys killing deer with cigarettes hanging out of their mouths, drinking a cup of coffee while eating a rack of BBQ ribs :)

I've made a lot of scent control efforts in the past for treestand hunting whitetails as I think that reducing your scent impact in and around a specific location, especially on smaller properties, can make a difference, however, I have kind of shifted that thinking recently to focusing less on scent reduction and more on never hunting the same spot twice in one season. From my experience, scent control is a all or nothing affair. If you're not storing your clothes and gear, changing in the field, showering, etc -basically making every effort to reduce your scent on your self and on every piece of gear that goes into the field, then there is no point in doing any of it. So, IMO, either go the full monty or don't worry about it, because singular attempts (showering, but wearing your clothes in your truck, or storing your clothes in containers, but not your pack) will make very little difference in success. The full effort requires so much effort that it is simply not worth it to most people as it is basically a lot of work for a little bit of an advantage. I went through a phase with scent control, but I'm kind of over it as hunting is a lot more enjoyable when I'm not getting naked to change clothes when its 15 degrees outside and doing constant loads of laundry.

Stid2677

WKR
The urine and feces of meat eaters take on a different scent than that of non carnivores. I did some reading on this several years ago, Native Americans used this technique in their hunting. Anyone with kids know how their diapers smell when they go from milk to meat,,,,, OMG!!!!

That said, I eat meat, belch, fart, poke the fire, have a drink etc and hunt nose into the wind. Having taken over 100 deer with a bow, I know how to play the scent free game, but here in Alaska on remote hunts that routine is just no doable.

Manosteel

WKR
My dad had no scent control products and he harvest tons of animals in his day and still dose today when I can peel him off his rockin chair. Scent control is a myth to sell products to hunters. We like to buy stuff period, we are like kids wanting toys when it comes to hunting gear so people make stuff for us to buy, plain and simple.

When you start talking about not eating meat before a hunt... crazy talk... sound like some people have been hanging around their PETA friends a little to much.

And I quote

e2e4ahav.jpg

wawhitey

Lil-Rokslider
I'll usually keep a spare in my pocket. Had too many hunts ruined because of not enough spare vaginas.

a vietnam vet lives just down the road from me, he has a dried up old bear vagina dangling from the muzzle of his .300wm. i asked him why the hell he had that, he said it was a wind checker. come on.

charvey9

WKR
This would create quite the dilemma for those that hunt pretty much year round. I'd basically have to stop eating meat except for the month of June. Sorry, not going to happen.

I agree you cannot be totally scent free.

However, the guys I know that lay off meat for a week or two prior to September think it makes a huge difference. We also do lots of other things: Hunting clothes in plastic bags with fir branches, Chlorofresh internal deodorizer ( you take it internally to eliminate body odor. stuff really works! ), Showers, Baking soda, Keeping my food off my clothes.

In my opinion you can do a lot to reduce your body odor, and I believe it helps in how far away they can smell you/ swirling wind/ etc...

I also avoid onions like the plague during bow season, because it really can give me body/breath odor.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
Not eating meat before a hunt....

Whats next....no sex either? Jeez

Since we seem to be following the 1940's training regimen......Probably ought to down some salt tablets instead of drinking water when you start to get dehydrated too

tttoadman

WKR
Whats next....no sex either? Jeez

Since we seem to be following the 1940's training regimen......Probably ought to down some salt tablets instead of drinking water when you start to get dehydrated too

There seems to be an inverse relationship in the size of my living room staging area and the amount of "loving" going on in my house as the season becomes closer. When the love stops completely, it must mean I have all the gear I need.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
One of the best seasons I ever had, I had beef flautas smothered in green chili the night before I went up. That bull came running in so fast I barely had time to think. And I swear he was down wind from me and stood there at 25 yards for 30 seconds while I waited for a shot. That was 0720 opening morning. I also tend to down a bunch of pasta loaded with garlic right before the season starts too.