Not eating meat before a hunt?

Wellsdw

WKR
My .02 on scents. I think of it like this. Big money in convincing guys they can eliminate their scents. If you compare a dog to a deer, then a deer has roughly 300 million scent receptors. Dogs 220 million and a human ......5 mil. Approximately. Now A dog can find cocaine, weed,explosives, you name it, vacuumed sealed and stored with candles in luggage in a car trunk outside with exhaust fumes everywhere Right.... on every cop show documentary on tv. You can’t hide smells that animals are looking for. And deer are looking for us if they feel threatened by humans. (That’s why city deer don’t give a damn what you smell like) But that same dog walks passed the car with the wind at its back and doesn’t circle the car he may...may miss it. Wind is key definitely not the candle scent. That’s why they circle. You may be able to eliminate your odor from they guys in camp. You are not going to beat deer/elk nose Not without wind. Again my 02 internet expertise....

slick

WKR
Whatever inspires confidence...

But....wut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never heard of this before but if we're talking bow hunting, definitely not the weirdest thing I've heard (or done) to get an edge.

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
This thread made me laugh LOL. Try telling Cavemen, the most successful hunters that ever was to NOT eat meat before a hunt HAHA. As stated if an animal winds you then it winds you and thats your fault or luck just smacked you. There are so many smells coming from a human that we cannot control, what we eat is only a tiny fraction of our problem.

16Bore

WKR
About an hour in to any hunt you’re gonna smell like ass anyway.

I refrain from eating meat on the hunt because I have convinced myself the wolves will come and eat me if I smell like a PC of jerky. This does not apply to base camping in the wall tent, just when I pack out for a few days.

So you become a salad eater to smell like their prey instead? :p

What do you eat then? This has never even crossed my mind.

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
This is what I've heard and I'm new to hunting (will be hunting my first fall this fall 2020) so I don't know if its true but I'm going to try it. It is natures way of allowing wolves and other predators to get close to prey like deer and elk. When predators have empty stomachs and are starving they release less sent. Back in the day Natives here in North America noticed this and mimicked the practice by purposely not eating meat before a hunt. I do know that the more lactic acid you have running through your body (a human's main source is from eating meat) the more odor you have that attracts mosquitos.
You ever had an outside dog that didn't get bathed often? Stinks. Ever shot a coyote? Stinks. I don't believe that a predator that gets neck deep inside of carcasses time after time and never gets cleaned won't stink after a few days of not eating.

I heard if you eat alot of deer they will come right to ya.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I thought hunting was supposed to be fun.
No coffee? No meat? What next, no beer a month before opening day?
I might give up hunting without coffee. I'm catholic and I always say I could give up anything for lent,but coffee. 2 cups every morning is my saving grace.

JP100

WKR
surely this shit cant be serious

You know they have dogs that can smell certain types of cancer! and you think what you eat is going to matter......

Scent products only exist in North America, hunters in the rest of the world just dont worry about it and play the wind. you cannot beat an animals nose

Mosby

WKR
The older I get, the more important food becomes when I am hunting. Their are some big name guys that have very strict diets when they hunt. I would starve on what they eat and some of the stuff they eat tastes like crap, regardless of what they say. I expect to be hot or cold, sore and tired when I hunt but I will not be hungry or eat stuff that tastes like crap. It is supposed to be fun.

Yarak

WKR
I do my best to deodorize myself but that simple fact is deer/elk and whatever else I'm gonna hunt will smell me
The smart thing is to deodorize yourself and hunt the wind which is what I do

JMDavies

WKR
Sounds like a lot of misery when just playing the wind has worked since the beginning on time.

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
Hahahahaha. This is the stuff of retailer dreams. No vegan for me and I like my coffee.
You get the wind right, and don't blink, you can almost pet them.
You get the wind wrong, bye bye unless they are genetically prone to early checkout.

Hahahahaha. This is the stuff of retailer dreams. No vegan for me and I like my coffee.
You get the wind right, and don't blink, you can almost pet them.
You get the wind wrong, bye bye unless they are genetically prone to early checkout.

Yup. Spot on.