Not just another “first mule deer” post

Hey everyone,

There are 100s of “any recommendations on first hunt?” posts on here that I am combing through and so far have gathered tons of great knowledge and recommendations.

But I will attempt at livening this subject up a bit in the interest of all the folks who are dedicated in helping the newbies out.

I drew an archery mule deer tag for Colorado unit 18 (includes 181, 27, 37, 371, 28) and will be out for 4-5 days when the season opens.

This is my first backcountry hunt (sorry old timers- you got another new guy out there stomping around).

So for all you guys with the experience/anyone with the wisdom I’m sure to gain during this hunt- what was is one thing you wish you did different for your first go ‘round? The one thing you forget/didn’t take into account?

I’m planning a 4-5 day backpack hunt in the high country and have a decent military background that’s prepared me for some of the conditions and rigors of the backcountry. I think I’m all good on gear and will be able to scout the area 1-2 times a week away from the hunt.

I will happily except any/all recommendations on here.

Anyone who wants to drop some knowledge or help out on PM I’d also greatly appreciate it as I’d love to start some conversation to mitigate the inevitable dumb things I’m sure to do.

Here to be a sponge and soak up everything I can before heading out.

Thanks everyone!

Dirtbag

WKR
Be in shape and have a plan for hunting pressure, things will change after the first few days in those units.

Last edited:

huntnful

WKR
Have a plan, but be adaptable. Plan on being at your glassing spot well before light. And glass until dark (to potential find bucks for the following day). Move from vantage to vantage throughout the day if need be. After the morning, start strategically glassing for bedded bucks in shadows.

Dirtbag

WKR
Got it. Currently identifying furthers areas from roads/where people can park- I'll be ready fitness wise.
Identify those areas but have a plan for pressure regardless. You are within 2 hours of the metro area, and Colorado is rated #1 as the most healthy/fit state. Its really tough to find places all to yourself in those units.

OP
J
Identify those areas but have a plan for pressure regardless. You are within 2 hours of the metro area, and Colorado is rated #1 as the most healthy/fit state. Its really tough to find places all to yourself in those units.
100%- one of the reasons a guy like me with zero points got a tag there.

TheGDog

WKR
Stay in the field all the time you can. Don't come off early.
THIS! Stay til absolutely end of legal shooting light, everytime. I would not have got my first buck, had I not done this.

You should already have all your gear tested out on scouting missions into the field you've done prior. So you'll know these boots won't shred your feet, that these socks work, or that the pack you have won't pack-rash the crap outta your belly when hauling the meat.

Scout out in the area ahead of time and stash your water out there ahead of time. So don't have to deal with that on initial hike in on morning of go-time. Having extra water on hand than you need is glorious!

If you have sit spots you plan on ambushing at... Ahead of time you might wanna go in there week before or so and rake all the dried oak leaves out of the way of the area you'll setup your sit on. So you don't accidentically make some "potato-chip" noise on the sit and ruin it for yourself.

Places where you plan on sitting in ambush, you should already know what the shadows are like at that spot. How does the shade move during the day, and the wind current.

Make sure to have at least 2 caffeine sources back at your truck for that day you get lucky. You will likely need them to ensure you're decently alert enough to drive back down outta the mtns after you're thoroughly spent from packing out the meat+head+hide.

Also having enough tap water back at the truck to allow you to sponge-bath in the middle of the night before that long drive home.... does a lot for your comfort and recovery after the long hikeout. You're not itchy in the seat on the drive back home.

If you don't already have a pain med in your pack that you require an Rx for... you should have one. Tylenol #3's is a milder opiate with just codeine, so mos Doc's won't pushback so hard on that, especially when you're explaining what it's for. They'll only give ya a Rx for like 15 or 30ct tops. But that lasts a good long time, even when you need 1 or 2 on the packouts.

Let's see...do you know your sleeping bag should be able to go down low enough that you won't wake up freezing in the middle of the night needing to put on even more freezing clothes before you eventually stuff yourself back in... and heat them all back up and then finally stop freezing? Lemme tell ya, life sucks majorly hard when your sleeping bag isn't quite rated cold enough. Had that happen with a 40 F bag. And the area dipped lower than forecast to something like 32-35F at this spot I'd setup at, when I got woke up to freezing cold and body shivering at 3am.

Reactions: R2J

BGnight

FNG
My biggest regret on my first solo elk hunt was forgetting my sharpening stone in the truck. Butchering in the dark with 3 dull knives is something I never want to do again. So bring a stone (or lots of disposable blades)
Good luck to you!

OP
J
THIS! Stay til absolutely end of legal shooting light, everytime. I would not have got my first buck, had I not done this.

You should already have all your gear tested out on scouting missions into the field you've done prior. So you'll know these boots won't shred your feet, that these socks work, or that the pack you have won't pack-rash the crap outta your belly when hauling the meat.

Scout out in the area ahead of time and stash your water out there ahead of time. So don't have to deal with that on initial hike in on morning of go-time. Having extra water on hand than you need is glorious!

If you have sit spots you plan on ambushing at... Ahead of time you might wanna go in there week before or so and rake all the dried oak leaves out of the way of the area you'll setup your sit on. So you don't accidentically make some "potato-chip" noise on the sit and ruin it for yourself.

Places where you plan on sitting in ambush, you should already know what the shadows are like at that spot. How does the shade move during the day, and the wind current.

Make sure to have at least 2 caffeine sources back at your truck for that day you get lucky. You will likely need them to ensure you're decently alert enough to drive back down outta the mtns after you're thoroughly spent from packing out the meat+head+hide.

Also having enough tap water back at the truck to allow you to sponge-bath in the middle of the night before that long drive home.... does a lot for your comfort and recovery after the long hikeout. You're not itchy in the seat on the drive back home.

If you don't already have a pain med in your pack that you require an Rx for... you should have one. Tylenol #3's is a milder opiate with just codeine, so mos Doc's won't pushback so hard on that, especially when you're explaining what it's for. They'll only give ya a Rx for like 15 or 30ct tops. But that lasts a good long time, even when you need 1 or 2 on the packouts.

Let's see...do you know your sleeping bag should be able to go down low enough that you won't wake up freezing in the middle of the night needing to put on even more freezing clothes before you eventually stuff yourself back in... and heat them all back up and then finally stop freezing? Lemme tell ya, life sucks majorly hard when your sleeping bag isn't quite rated cold enough. Had that happen with a 40 F bag. And the area dipped lower than forecast to something like 32-35F at this spot I'd setup at, when I got woke up to freezing cold and body shivering at 3am.
Absolutely love the idea of the water stash. I have a lot of experience carrying absurdly heavy things, so thinking of going in with 20 pounds less water gets me pumped up.

Caffeine/NSAIDs in the truck- wouldn't have thought of that, thank you.

Sleeping bag: I'm planning on rocking a 15 degree down bag, and I'll have a Kifaru woobie as well. Heard it snowed opening week last year! I've been deathly cold before, I shiver just thinking about it.

OP
J
My biggest regret on my first solo elk hunt was forgetting my sharpening stone in the truck. Butchering in the dark with 3 dull knives is something I never want to do again. So bring a stone (or lots of disposable blades)
Good luck to you!
That's why I made this post! thank you, added to the list

slamdmini

FNG
have plan a, b, c, d, e...my first archery mule deer hunt my first 3 spots had multiple trucks there. luckily i knew the area well so i eventually found a spot. and it sounds like a no brainer, but go as long as you can. the longer ur out there the greater chance u have of being successful. with work and family obligations my hunts are never more than 3-4 days (although im hoping for a week this year). good luck to u, and let us kno how the hunt turns out