Not seeing elk the whole trip

PhotoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I think the biggest problem for first-timers is not staying mobile. Packing in is great fun if you know there are elk in the area. But I think a better approach is to truck camp and keep moving until you find elk. You can cover more country without camp on you back. Don't set up a comfy camp. Sleep in your truck or a cot/ground if the weather is good. Park your truck and day hike into an area and keep hiking/glassing/calling until you find elk. Make a big loop if you can. Maybe do an over-nighter if needed. If you don't find elk (or very fresh sign), try the other side of the road or drive to another spot and do it again. If you're finding elk, then maybe pack in. Backpacking is awesome, but you have to cover country until you find elk.

I think way more elk are killed within 2-3 miles from the road than in the backcountry anyway. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck!

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend having back up plans that involve different elevations. I'm been in different parts of the west where you can't find bulls in full rut under 9500 vert and places where you can't find them over 8500. When the rut is in full swing much like humans the bulls will gravitate to the cows not the other way around. I echo others peoples input that you need to move and cover ground. If you don't see or hear an elk in a day and a half pack up your stuff and move. But if you continue to move to different areas that are the same elevation, terrain, and vegetation you will get the same results.

Good luck

I second the suggestion to truck/base camp, and forego the backpacking. Backpacking is fun in its own right, but there’s always a huge risk that there won’t be elk where you decide to pack into.

I have changed my style of hunting through the years, big base camp all the things you can imagine. Now it's a small tent or camp in the vehicle and stay as mobile as possible. I hate being tied down to one area.

I always hunt different places, with no inside knowledge of where to go. Lots of pre-planning, and some scouting if I can. Have a game plan, maybe top 5 areas, or top 10 areas you think they are. Go through each one, one by one. Put in the miles if you have to. Guess what? everyone packs in as far and deep as possible, you'd be surprised the animals might closer than you think. It's all about eliminating where they are not located. Keep going down your list of areas, keep notes of any sign you are seeing, and most importantly, what does the animal need at that particular time? Food and water, or is rutting time? Did you go up high and not see anything? Well drop several thousand feet and try again. At the end of the day look at your map and reflect, and plan the next day out.

So many people give up and go home because they have no plan. Plot things on a map, put boots on the ground, get behind the glass if needed but don't quit. I've been in several units where people simply quit and I was the only who punched my tag. Just put the effort in and you will be rewarded.

OP
K
Another mistake many make is they hunt elk like WTs back home.

That tends to reduce the opportunity to see elk.
In what ways do you mean? I’m a lifelong WT hunter but even going into this outside of just knowledge of the woods idk that a whole lot translates over to me

Wolf76

FNG
This is the reason I go guided. I can't scout from 1500 miles away. I don't know migration patterns or where they go when pressured from hunters.
I'm a DIY guy thru and thru, but I also know when to call for help.
Yes it's more expensive, but I also got more (dandy 6x6). When you figure out the fixed costs-like food, travel, license, time off work-guides are well worth the money. It was also nice not to have to cook.
Success rates on bull elk are often less than 10%.
I'll share this story from my last hunt. My group of hunters were nearly tagged out and we decided to go to the "town" for a beer. We ran into a great group of guys (8) from Indiana. They were 3 days into the season and had seen a total of 2 elk between the eight of them. When they asked if we'd seen any, it was tough say we had 2 6x6s hanging and the other guy had missed one (he later got a 5x6). But we were guided on private land and had bulls bugling/bumping cows in 2nd rifle season. We always saw elk.
There are no guarantees in hunting. Still like to put the odds in my favor as much as possible.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: BFR

sneaky

"DADDY"
In what ways do you mean? I’m a lifelong WT hunter but even going into this outside of just knowledge of the woods idk that a whole lot translates over to me
Too many guys who have hunted whitetails all their life are used to waiting for the animal to come to them. It is perfectly acceptable to run right the hell at a bunch of elk, making noise and get into them. Elk make noise. You make elk noise. Move in and kill them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

satchamo

WKR
I’ll be honest- I got think you’re biting off more than you can chew for your first trip - solo. I wouldn’t bother packing in. I know it’s the “in” thing but you’re gonna waste so much time trying to dial your gear and fretting about where to camp and keeping your feet dry and not showering. I should know but I tried the same thing....

Truck camp and go on day hunts. You won’t get married to an area, be way more nimble if the elk aren’t there (in CO they probably won’t be where the “maps” show them), sleep better, eat better and hunt better.

Learn to elk hunt THEN learn to backpack hunt. So many guys do it the other way. I know that’s no the popular thing right now but believe me, it will save you a ton of grief.

OP
K
This is the reason I go guided. I can't scout from 1500 miles away. I don't know migration patterns or where they go when pressured from hunters.
I'm a DIY guy thru and thru, but I also know when to call for help.
Yes it's more expensive, but I also got more (dandy 6x6). When you figure out the fixed costs-like food, travel, license, time off work-guides are well worth the money. It was also nice not to have to cook.
Success rates on bull elk are often less than 10%.
I'll share this story from my last hunt. My group of hunters were nearly tagged out and we decided to go to the "town" for a beer. We ran into a great group of guys (8) from Indiana. They were 3 days into the season and had seen a total of 2 elk between the eight of them. When they asked if we'd seen any, it was tough say we had 2 6x6s hanging and the other guy had missed one (he later got a 5x6). But we were guided on private land and had bulls bugling/bumping cows in 2nd rifle season. We always saw elk.
There are no guarantees in hunting. Still like to put the odds in my favor as much as possible.

I mean yes, money buys a lot of things including hunts on private lands. But I know lots of people who’ve spent 5-8 grand and still care home empty handed. So while congrats on your bull, I’m sure the story is something you’ll never forget.

Planning a trip, putting in the work, and doing it myself will be much more worth the time and money spent than letting someone else do the work for me and just pulling a trigger

cnelk

WKR
I’ll be honest- I got think you’re biting off more than you can chew for your first trip - solo. I wouldn’t bother packing in. I know it’s the “in” thing but you’re gonna waste so much time trying to dial your gear and fretting about where to camp and keeping your feet dry and not showering. I should know but I tried the same thing....

Truck camp and go on day hunts. You won’t get married to an area, be way more nimble if the elk aren’t there (in CO they probably won’t be where the “maps” show them), sleep better, eat better and hunt better.

Learn to elk hunt THEN learn to backpack hunt. So many guys do it the other way. I know that’s no the popular thing right now but believe me, it will save you a ton of grief.

^^^ Perfect

Reactions: AKG

I gotta agree with this, if the goal really is to get into elk. If the goal of long stints in the backcountry is really important to you, go for it. But for versatility, being near your vehicle at least every 48 hrs. can't be beat.

Last edited:

Wolf76

FNG
I mean yes, money buys a lot of things including hunts on private lands. But I know lots of people who’ve spent 5-8 grand and still care home empty handed. So while congrats on your bull, I’m sure the story is something you’ll never forget.

Planning a trip, putting in the work, and doing it myself will be much more worth the time and money spent than letting someone else do the work for me and just pulling a trigger
You're correct, it's still a gamble. And I'm 1 for 2 on getting a bull. I've always seen elk and the guides were super helpful in answering questions.

As for the "only pull the trigger" part of your comment.... That was a bit out-of-place. Unlike many people, I lost 30 pounds and had my gun dialed in from many trips to the gun range. I could make a 700 yard shot, if need be. I shortened the learning curve by listening to all the Jokers on blm running ATVs and watching elk respond to pressure. I mean you can figure out an engine by taking it apart or you can learn it faster by having a teacher.
Good luck with your trip.

Okhotnik

WKR
Going out in summer and scouting pays off for new hunters. hit lots areas. in or near your desire unit. Up high, down low. Near roads etc. Lots of hiking and get familiar with terrain. If you see elk, slow down and spend a few hours and observe them. Take notes. Think outside the box, take a few tree stands just in case. In a few years you slowly figure it out but not a guarantee. Elk hunting is a big time and now money commitment if you don't live out west.Not a Texas high fenced hunt for sure.

Most aren't willing to do this and think some scouting on google maps and watching a few hunting Bro elk videos on you tube , buying some kuiu gear and a kifaru pack will suffice. People way over think gear. Guys killed elk for decades wearing jeans, sears or Kmart boots, and a cotton coat. Get your basic gear and spend more energy on elk and behavior.

Many discount the mental toughness and ability to just grind it out and be positive.

Last edited:

My take: (from a guy who started on WT’s) elk densities and game densities in general are lower in the west compared to Midwest whitetail. A fair elk unit might average 2 elk per square mile. And elk are less likely than WT’s to be onesie twosie, meaning you could see 5 or 10 or 50 at once. Therefore there are many many square miles of suitable elk habitat that don’t have elk in it the moment you’re looking at it. Gorgeous stuff devoid of animals. Also, I’ve hunted the same spot in successive years and been into the meatball one year and into nada the next.

OP
K
I fully appreciate everyone’s posts regarding this. Honestly didn’t think it’d get this kind of response.

To me getting out of the flatlands of Florida being in that country alone is going to be worth the trip, yes getting an elk is the goal...as it should be for any hunt. But a large part of this for me is formulating a plan, putting in the time that I can 1700 miles away, and sticking to it.

For those saying don’t back pack in...to me that’s just part of all of this for me. Has nothing to do with cool videos on YouTube for me. Though they do look really fun. In 30 minute clips. I want to see if I can physically and mentally do it. It’s a challenge and goal type thing I set for myself.

But I truly do appreciate every single response. That’s what makes this site great.

Well I got to the end of this thread to find out what the general consensus was on this subject and there was a little window there at the end that said "write your reply" so I figured I'd best write something?

Truck camp till you at least find some good fresh Elk sign unless you have someone that's local and trustworthy giving you a good tip. As several have said stay mobile. I'm the worst about falling in love with a place though. Being from the East all the country out west looks beautiful to me. I got no problem with hiking though cause I really enjoy it. But hiking just for hiking's sake isn't always fruitful. Some prospectors used to say "Gold is where you find it", which I always thought was about as helpful as a pepper eyewash. I had always heard that Elk were at the higher elevations but as some have said that's not always the case. On two previous hunts the Elk in some units weren't in the fields but they were not up real high either. If the grasses up high are dried and sun burnt the elk will be in shady wetter areas or will walk to a field to graze and return early in the AM to their beds. If not disturbed they will often follow the same path between bedding and grazing. So a good fresh trail can be a good ambush point. But always keep in mind wind direction is all important. We can all use a little luck too.

Last edited: