Not Shooting Long

bcimport

WKR
Anyone else not interested in shooting long? This year I'm going to carry my iron sighted marlin guide gun for all my hunts (goat, sheep, mule deer, bears etc). Other than antelope I can't think of many critters I shot that I had to shoot long. I just don't enjoy watching them tip over from 400-500 yards away. When I roll back through all the game I have seen taken I can only think of a few times that it wasn't under a 100 yards or couldn't have been turned into a closer shot with some patience. More power to you if thats what you're into, I have just burned out on the huge scopes, ballistic turrets, range finders, kestrel weather stations etc. Am I the only one?

Craig4791

WKR
You should try it out with Archery gear if your getting bored with it.

If your going to get to 100 you might as well try for 50 ;)

OP
B

bcimport

WKR
Been there done that. When I lived south of the 49th I mostly bowhunted. Too many grizz up here so perhaps this is my compromise.

For me I'm not knocking any particular method of hunting, long, medium, or even close up and personal should one choose to hunt that way. Speaking of too many Grizzly bears..... how about hunting this way? I've read some hunters back in the day in Russia there were hunters that bagged bears with a spear. Not sure it would be something I'd want to tackle but it would quite the challenge.

spear-hunter_zps29452101.jpg

There is also that 1997 movie, "The Edge" where Anthony Hopkins took one out by spear that way.... Now there's a challenge. Getting closer, no scopes, guns or even archery equipment and well under that 50 yard range. :)

the_edgemovie_wallpaper_pictures_photo_pics_poster260310092953the_edge_movie_2-11_zps522b9347.jpg

I love shooting long range. Started out as shooting steel at distance and has naturally crossed over to my hunting. I archery and rifle hunt so that at least helps convince some people I meet that I'm not completely lazy... ;)

Mike

crumy

WKR
I see this thread getting very interesting, I'm going to go make some popcorn.

I have to tell you that you made me laugh out loud

now for the topic---- Being orig from Ohio / Kentucky a "long shot" was 75-100 yards with my 30/30 or .12 ga. I personally enjoy getting close to the animals as it means I did my job scouting. But out here (Wyoming). Things are a lot different. With the pressure of hunters and the VAST amount of land I feel that idiot get within 200-300 yards I have done my job with scouting and finding them. Then since I reload I get satisfaction knowing I have made the bullet and sighted the gun in and practice enough to make it hahappen sort of the same as when I shot a recurve in Ohio using cedar arrows and did everything except create the shaft. So I guess it is all in how you look at it.

On the flip side. I hear guys talk about shooting turkeys with a 22 mag and I am like "how can that be any fun". I preferred my bow or a shotgun and getting the bird in close. But I have not hunted them out west.