Not sure where to go from here

Loading for my dad's 7-08 Rem 700. I'm using 120TTSX and RL 15. I started getting pressure signs at 44.5gr, even though book max is 45.7gr. I bumped down to 43.5 as the 44.5 didn't shoot that great anyways. My max OAL is 2.800 because of mag length. That happens to be .090 off the lands. I've tried .090 off, .100 off and .125 off. My groups are always about 1.5". No stringing, just a 1.5" 5 shot pattern.

I don't own a chrono. I'm not sure what I should do next. Obviously I'm fairly inexperienced when it comes to reloading. My last few rifles shot fairly decent with little effort luckily. This one has been a bit harder. Any advice is welcome.

Overdrive

WKR
What was the ambient temperature when shooting? RL 15 isn't a temp stable powder, I know times are tough for finding powder but I'd recommend H1000 in any 7mm. Or look for the newer Alliant powders that are temp stable.
And try and borrow or buy a Chrono that really is a necessary tool to have when reloading IMO

OP
A
Today was 58 when I started, 64 when I finished. Several minutes between shots.

I don’t mess with seating depth at all until I’ve found a load that shoots tight groups(sub moa for a hunting rifle) at my starting seating depth. In my experiences if your gun doesn’t like the powder/bullet combination, seating depth won’t matter much. I’d switch powder and bullet combo and see what you get. Good luck.

Overdrive

WKR
Today was 58 when I started, 64 when I finished. Several minutes between shots.
Yeah that's not a big enough change, I've had problems with RL 22 in a 7 SAUM and 7 Rem Mag but temps were in the 80's and also had issues with RL 15 but again warmer temps.

What exact pressure signs are you reading?

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry you are experiencing problems. It’s frustrating when you experience problems but you will find as your reloading career expands it’s pretty common. A couple things come to mind. All rifles don’t like a specific load or bullet. Some rifles will only group 1 1/2” .
We have two 7mm 0/8’s and we got lucky they both like Nosler 140gr Partitions.
I would try another bullet and powder combination seated at standard overall length. Over the years I’ve found the Nosler loading manual a great source of reliable information.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Do you have different powders To try? I am reloading for a 7saum and hit pressure early with rl26 but went way over max on h1000 and didn’t hit pressure.

OP
A
Yeah that's not a big enough change, I've had problems with RL 22 in a 7 SAUM and 7 Rem Mag but temps were in the 80's and also had issues with RL 15 but again warmer temps.

What exact pressure signs are you reading?
Flat primers, hard bolt lift and ejector marks on the case head.
Sorry you are experiencing problems. It’s frustrating when you experience problems but you will find as your reloading career expands it’s pretty common. A couple things come to mind. All rifles don’t like a specific load or bullet. Some rifles will only group 1 1/2” .
We have two 7mm 0/8’s and we got lucky they both like Nosler 140gr Partitions.
I would try another bullet and powder combination seated at standard overall length. Over the years I’ve found the Nosler loading manual a great source of reliable information.
I'm looking to try some CFE223 but having a hard time finding it. I have some 140 partitions to try as well. Wanted to use a copper bullet but may have to try the noslers.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Something seems off with your loading or case prep more so than the powder. I don’t know that I’ve ever had issues with pressure a full grain below book max with any powder.

Jeff_Gibbons

Lil-Rokslider
Hi,
couple thoughts for you to consider:
1. check your scale and calibrate against a known weight
2. as the others have suggested - try another powder and bullet combo. I might try another bullet with same powder over a calibrated scale before i gave up on RE15.
3. the joy (for me) of reloading is the tinkering. enjoy the ride and growth through reaching out like this and experimenting with listed combos and seating depths.

fwiw - I think my sons 7-08 liked 4350 but id have to look to confirm.

bst,

jeff

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Like VernAK, with the TTSX I seat with the top of neck at the top band.

What brand of brass are you using?
I had the same thing happen to me with Federal brass, could only go to 44 grains RL15 with the 120 TTSX or NBT before running into pressure issues.
Switched to RP brass and issues went away.

You could also try Ramshot Big Game if available.
50 grains Big Game works great with the 120’s in my rifle. About 3,050 fps
or 47 grains with the 140 Accubond at 2,850

OP
A
Like VernAK, with the TTSX I seat with the top of neck at the top band.

I had the same thing happen to me with Federal brass, could only go to 44 grains RL15 with the 120 TTSX or NBT before running into pressure issues.

You could also try Ramshot Big Game if available.
50 grains Big Game works great with the 120’s in my rifle. About 3,050 fps
or 47 grains with the 140 Accubond at 2,850
Interesting, I am using Federal brass as well. 2.790 gets the bottom of the first ring almost touching the top of the case mouth.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Where are you located? 4350 class powders work well in 7-08s. H4350, IMR4451. Big Game was already mentioned. Someone may be close to you with a powder you can try.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Try different brass, and powder. Iirc, I ran varget with 120gr sierras over them for my boys 7mm08

sndmn11

WKR
Interesting, I am using Federal brass as well. 2.790 gets the bottom of the first ring almost touching the top of the case mouth.
I had the same experience with Federal brass in the 6.5CM where I saw some pressure signs but switching to Remington/Barnes brass solved things.