Not your normal boot question

Alright, so I need a bit of advice. I finally cashed in my CO unit 67 Mule Deer points for 2nd rifle, got Mr. Denning’s book, started gathering info, and am getting gear together. I’m pretty much set but my boots are tripping me up (pun totally intended). I am normally a devout bow hunter so I normally wear Schnees uninsulated beartooths. In my research, I found temps can range from 60’s to the teens that time of year (Oct. 30-Nov. 7) in the Gunnison area. I feel like my uninsulated beartooths may be inadequate. How much insulation do I need? Should I consider pac boots? I guess I am lucky because I have never really had trouble with boots. I have used schnees and meindle. Schnees only makes 200g and 600g in insulation. I felt that 600 was too much and 200 may be too little. That led me to kenetrek MEs in 400g. I’ve tried them on and they actually feel really good. I really like the granites (I kinda want a stiffer boot like my meindles). Any one in CO or similar areas have any input? Any help on the matter is greatly appreciated.

HeathH

FNG
Unless you think that your boots are structurally inadequat, I’d wear what you’re used to and are broken in. Wool socks will insulate a lot into the teen, especially if you’re movin. I used to buy insulated and now I insulated with socks based on need. Hiking in pack boots isn’t much fun.

Agree with HeathH.

If the temperatures really drop and you decide to sit still in one spot. Just throw a hand warmer in each boot, if needed.

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted an adjacent unit in 3rd season 3 years with 200 gr boots and merino wool socks with no issues. My next pair of boots will likely be uninsulated. If you have room for wool socks, I would try some good ones with a high percentage of merino. I hope I’m not steering you wrong, that is just my opinion.

hunterjmj

WKR
I hunt montana every year with uninsulated boots with temps below zero. My toes may get a bit cold but nothing I can't handle. I would say my feet run warm so I can't speak for you. I have run insulated boots in the past and my feet sweat which cause really cold uncomfortable feet. I'd rather run a bit cold then sweaty and freezing.

DEGdog

FNG
Make sure you wear polypro or similar liners under good (but not too thick) wool socks. The liners will keep your feet dry and do as much or more to keep your feet warm than insulated boots.

Marble

WKR
I'll disagree with everyone else previously. I've hunted 2nd season there for 20 years and your description of the weather is fairly accurate. I would add tp the description that every 3rd year or so we havea snow storm that literally shuts everything down for a day or so.

If you are moving and there is no snow, you will probably be okay with uninsulated boots. I ride horses up the mountain and in the typical 15 degree morning, it's cold.

If weather comes in and it's windy, snowy and you have to hunker down, I would want insulation. No one I hunt with there wears uninsulated boots in 2nd season. There are guys that do, but I wouldn't choose it.

I have worn my uninsulated boots on day trips when I know the weather ahead of time.

There are two kinds of insulation I know of, primaloft and thinsulate. Primaloft is usually offered in 200 and 600 gram, thinsulate is usually 400 and 800 gram. The lower range is what I would go with.

I do have and used pack boots. I think maybe 4 or 5 times. They are comfortable to walk in, but bulky and slippery. I'm sure the rubber sole on mine is getting hard as they are fairly old.

Whatever you do, I would have an extra set of boots on hand, and/or a boot drier. If you are camping and hiking all day, your boots will be wet on the inside from sweat. Not soaking wet but damp none-the-less. Putting the boots on a drier, or your gloves,will very slowly and safely dry them without causing damage.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Traveler

WKR
If you can swing it, have two pair. It would not be unusual to use both based on weather or hunting style needs in CO second season. Use wool socks, carry two extra pair in the pack.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Heck, I used 800gm Thinsulate boots for several years during archery season and had no issues with them then. And I've also used pac boots many times during third rifle.......which seems to me close to the dates you're saying 2nd rifle is. The only problem I've ever had with Pac's is finding stirrups wide enough to fit them. But hiking I was fine. I've never really had any foot or boot issues in 40 years of hunting. I must have the most normal feet for boots in the hunting community, or I just ignore any problems.

I end up much colder with insulated boots because I have sweaty feet. I can easily sweat out a pair of socks in the teens. Then they get really cold.
So its really going to be you're best guess you know yourself best.
For me even with un insulated boots I've found that I will have to have a boot dryer with me, carry extra socks and possibly even extra insoles.

Last year I shot a cow at dark. Didn't take care of my boots when I got back.

Next morning at 18° my insoles were Popsicles and it was a very miserable experience.

I'll disagree with everyone else previously. I've hunted 2nd season there for 20 years and your description of the weather is fairly accurate. I would add tp the description that every 3rd year or so we havea snow storm that literally shuts everything down for a day or so.

If you are moving and there is no snow, you will probably be okay with uninsulated boots. I ride horses up the mountain and in the typical 15 degree morning, it's cold.

If weather comes in and it's windy, snowy and you have to hunker down, I would want insulation. No one I hunt with there wears uninsulated boots in 2nd season. There are guys that do, but I wouldn't choose it.

I have worn my uninsulated boots on day trips when I know the weather ahead of time.

There are two kinds of insulation I know of, primaloft and thinsulate. Primaloft is usually offered in 200 and 600 gram, thinsulate is usually 400 and 800 gram. The lower range is what I would go with.

I do have and used pack boots. I think maybe 4 or 5 times. They are comfortable to walk in, but bulky and slippery. I'm sure the rubber sole on mine is getting hard as they are fairly old.

Whatever you do, I would have an extra set of boots on hand, and/or a boot drier. If you are camping and hiking all day, your boots will be wet on the inside from sweat. Not soaking wet but damp none-the-less. Putting the boots on a drier, or your gloves,will very slowly and safely dry them without causing damage.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I'm with Marble on this one. I once took the advice that uninsulated boots are fine for these conditions, but was quickly proven wrong when the snow started to pile up. I think your idea of 400 gram boots, along with your uninsulated boots will be a great combo!

Mosby

WKR
I always take two pairs of boots on a hunt when I am traveling. I've had boots blow out, get soaking wet or just be inadequate for the weather. I have uninsulated, 200 gr insulated, 500 gr insulated and pack boots and take what the weather calls for. I am a better hunter when my feet are comfortable.

hikenhunt

WKR
That's a large temperature range for one pair of boots to handle. Sounds like some can swing that, but I'd be bringing two pairs.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I don't even own a pair of insulated boots. I get far more use out of uninsulated boots combined with a boot blanket over those when I stop to glass. My feet run hot and insulated boots cause far more problems for me than they solve. I drop one of those body warmer packs in each boot cover, roll them up, and it's like an oven when I put them on when I stop. Every person is different, you have to figure out what works best for you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SonnyDay

WKR
My feet run warm, so your mileage may vary.

I am pretty comfy below zero in uninsulated but waterproof boots (with Gaiters)--as long as the snow is not too deep. If I'm sitting still and it's cold, I will wrap my boots in a down vest or something similar.

If the snow is deeper than 3-4 inches... all bets are off, and an insulated boot can drastically increase your comfort level.

If the weather forecast is mixed, bring several pairs of boots to the truck/trailhead. If you are backpacking in you'll need to make some choices. But at least you will have those choices if you brought several pairs...

Wags

WKR
Whatever you decide take a boot dryer with you. Graksaw makes a backpacking model, if your someplace with electricity take a PEET or something similar. Dry boots are happy boots.

As far as insulation goes, it's personal preference. Some guys have iron feet, others get cold on summer nights. Keeping your feet as dry as possible is always your best place to start. After that insulate depending on your experience in those temps and your activity level. I've had my feet on fire in single digits in uninsulated boots because I was post holing up and down hills. Then I've frozen toes in mid 30s because I was sitting glassing in the wind for hours...

Hopefully whichever you choose your comfortable and dump a big ole boy.

jazz3ring

WKR
I recommend getting a pair of Kenetrek ME 400’s and taking both the ME 400’s and your uninsulated boots.