Not your typical pack question

Jmort1754

WKR
I had a section of back fused (T 11 - L 3) which makes me not be able to bend or flex as I used to be able to. I have been cleared from the surgeon to hunt and haul loads.

I have tried-

Kifaru- duplex lite curved and straight
Stone glacier - x curve
Exo - K3

None of them seem to work like the used to, seems to feel like it's binding up my back that is. When getting about 30ish lbs.

Anyone have any input on where to go from here? I used to be able to use any of them without very much difficulty.

Sundy

FNG
are you getting you pack set to transfer as much load as possible to your hips? If it's shoulder heavy that might be causing some of the issues? I'm pretty new with these heavy duty frame packs - have had my share of internal frame/backpacking packs on though.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
are you getting you pack set to transfer as much load as possible to your hips? If it's shoulder heavy that might be causing some of the issues? I'm pretty new with these heavy duty frame packs - have had my share of internal frame/backpacking packs on though.
Yes it's set up for majority on the hips.

zacattack

WKR
What about aluminum stays that you can bend and customize for your back? I ended up going that route as I have a strange back shape. Kifaru worked with me and got them bent correctly. Just an idea.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
What about aluminum stays that you can bend and customize for your back? I ended up going that route as I have a strange back shape. Kifaru worked with me and got them bent correctly. Just an idea.
Completely forgot about that

Drenalin

WKR
I would try a Seek Outside without the lumbar pad. I don’t have the same issue you do as far as previous spine surgery, but the SO minus a lumbar pad completely alleviated all the weird back pressure issues I had with other hunting pack frames. You can also try pulling the shim out of the Exo lumbar pad, if there’s one in there. That helped me a lot with the Exo, but it’s still not as comfortable for me as SO.

WKR
I had a section of back fused (T 11 - L 3) which makes me not be able to bend or flex as I used to be able to. I have been cleared from the surgeon to hunt and haul loads.

I have tried-

Stone glacier - x curve
Exo - K3

None of them seem to work like the used to, seems to feel like it's binding up my back that is. When getting about 30ish lbs.

Anyone have any input on where to go from here? I used to be able to use any of them without very much difficulty.
Explain "binding up my back".

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
Explain "binding up my back".
Just feels like it's stiff. I'm already limited RoM wise. Before they seemed to feel like I could move freely. I know it won't be the same. I just was wondering if someone had been through it like this.

I have some herniated discs, and I was able to get my SG x-curve to work great, but the Initial Ascent was next on my to try list. I heard them on a podcast mention that their design has worked really well for people with back injuries. I haven't been able to try one in person, but I'd still like to see how it feels.

WKR

I have tried-

Stone glacier - x curve
Exo - K3

I don't think any pack will solve an anatomy problem. Theoretically, the pack's job is to transfer axial loading to the pelvis, bypassing the lumbar spine. However, the hip belt will usually offer compression around the L3/4-S1 region (top of iliac crest usually at L4-5 disc space for males). If we assume that that compression also adds some stiffness, you don't really have any joints left to be mobile.

I'm assuming the fusion was due to an accident.

If it was ME, (a person with extensive experience evaluating spines of people who've carried heavy packs for a living) I'd look really hard at a llama or some other way to minimize degenerative potential in the lower lumbar spine. That fusion is likely to accelerate spinal degeneration, which is already worst in the areas below your fusion and above the pelvis. Look up "adjacent segment disease".

Glad you're feeling well enough to be getting ready to hunt.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
I don't think any pack will solve an anatomy problem. Theoretically, the pack's job is to transfer axial loading to the pelvis, bypassing the lumbar spine. However, the hip belt will usually offer compression around the L3/4-S1 region (top of iliac crest usually at L4-5 disc space for males). If we assume that that compression also adds some stiffness, you don't really have any joints left to be mobile.

I'm assuming the fusion was due to an accident.

If it was ME, (a person with extensive experience evaluating spines of people who've carried heavy packs for a living) I'd look really hard at a llama or some other way to minimize degenerative potential in the lower lumbar spine. That fusion is likely to accelerate spinal degeneration, which is already worst in the areas below your fusion and above the pelvis. Look up "adjacent segment disease".

Glad you're feeling well enough to be getting ready to hunt.
Yes it was a burst fracture of L1 secondary to MVA. I will be looking at some pack animals, and my hunting partners have horses already

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
This is my back before and after.

Attachments

• 581D69D9-5DDE-4B26-B97D-803BEE6B0D79.jpeg
    581D69D9-5DDE-4B26-B97D-803BEE6B0D79.jpeg
    215.6 KB · Views: 4
  • FCAB1B64-EA84-4DBA-AC7A-45059357E08D.jpeg
    FCAB1B64-EA84-4DBA-AC7A-45059357E08D.jpeg
    215.2 KB · Views: 4

wesfromky

WKR
Are you close enough to hit up one or more of the pack companies? Maybe a trip to sheep show or something like that? Getting someone that really knows how to fit packs and that lets you load them up as you are trying them on can be really helpful, If you can't get to one of the hunting pack companies, maybe just try finding a really good outdoors store near you and have them fit you with a nice internal frame osprey/gregory/etc/

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
How long has it been since your surgery? I had a fusion (L3-S1) back in 2008. Took me awhile to not feel so stiff. It wasn’t until I started to re-strengthen my lower back that I started to actually feel better. Now, I feel better than I ever have. Granted I was 19 when I had the surgery.

*zap*

WKR
If your going to use the aluminum stays and change their shape maybe find a piece of cardboard, mark the cardboard and stays top front(away from back) and then trace the stay outline on the cardboard before doing any alterations...ymmv

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
How long has it been since your surgery? I had a fusion (L3-S1) back in 2008. Took me awhile to not feel so stiff. It wasn’t until I started to re-strengthen my lower back that I started to actually feel better. Now, I feel better than I ever have. Granted I was 19 when I had the surgery.
11 months post op