Not your usual "first rifle" question

Bobrunner06

Lil-Rokslider
Hey roksliders,

I've never needed to have a rifle before, but now I'm looking to purchase one to pursue different game in different places. I've done a fair bit of research on rifles and and calibers and have a few in mind.

My question/ concern is with all the craziness going on with gun sales and ammo shortages (and gouging): I feel uneasy about it all. To some extent ammo availability and price are a factor for me. After a bit of shooting one can exceed the cost of the rifle itself. It's hard for me to know what a "normal" situation would be like as far as availability and prices as I've never really followed anything rifle related. Any thought for me going into a new rifle? Would it be better to wait?

Thanks guys and gals

Robert

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Buy a 6.8 western, ammo on the shelf...

Don't wait for "normal" it won't come for a while.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
All bets are off about when "normal" may return. And prices will continue to be excessively high for a while even after ammo comes available (no one is going to give up easy profit). I would choose a rifle/caliber you WANT because there are valid pro and con arguments against everything at this point. If you went with your standard 30-06 (my first hunting rifle) because ammo is "always" available...well that's just not true these days, plus everyone has a 30-06 so the demand for that caliber will be higher. But if you went with something slightly less popular, say .300 WSM, there's less demand, but they produce less ammo, so you're still SOL.

And first you need to find a rifle you want that actually exists. So I'd personally start dreaming of the rifle/caliber combo I want and focus on getting that. And if it seems like it'll reasonably happen, I'd concurrently start looking for ammo.

OP
Bobrunner06

Bobrunner06

Lil-Rokslider
All bets are off about when "normal" may return. And prices will continue to be excessively high for a while even after ammo comes available (no one is going to give up easy profit). I would choose a rifle/caliber you WANT because there are valid pro and con arguments against everything at this point. If you went with your standard 30-06 (my first hunting rifle) because ammo is "always" available...well that's just not true these days, plus everyone has a 30-06 so the demand for that caliber will be higher. But if you went with something slightly less popular, say .300 WSM, there's less demand, but they produce less ammo, so you're still SOL.

And first you need to find a rifle you want that actually exists. So I'd personally start dreaming of the rifle/caliber combo I want and focus on getting that. And if it seems like it'll reasonably happen, I'd concurrently start looking for ammo.
Thanks Wilbury. These are all good points, especially about focusing on the rifle first

Howiemoth

Lil-Rokslider
I was in the same situation not long ago. > I kept one of the .270's.

Rob5589

WKR
Nobody knows the full extent of how long this will last. You may be in a great spot buying a rifle now since there are probably lots of guys thinking like you and not buying. The irony is, people frequently recommend common calibers because that ammo is "always on the shelf wherever you go." That is now the ammo in the scarcest supply. In the end, cost of ammo is likely to exceed the cost of the rifle if you shoot enough, regardless of the current climate.

I've seen a lot of 338 lapua on the shelf at local gun stores in my area so that might be a sign I need one of those.

In all seriousness though buy the rifle you want in a common caliber. The ammo is out there locally if you're willing to call around or be there at the right time. There's also the option of overpaying at a gunshow. You'll be limited on loadings until the craziness slows down unless you dive into reloading (where primers and tools are scarce as well).

I'd normally be on the 6.5 creedmoor train but I've seen much more 308/30-06/6mm Creedmoor locally than others. You could always shop around for ammo before you decide on a caliber. You wouldn't loose much money reselling it in these conditions

CorbLand

WKR
Nobody knows the full extent of how long this will last. You may be in a great spot buying a rifle now since there are probably lots of guys thinking like you and not buying. The irony is, people frequently recommend common calibers because that ammo is "always on the shelf wherever you go." That is now the ammo in the scarcest supply. In the end, cost of ammo is likely to exceed the cost of the rifle if you shoot enough, regardless of the current climate.
This will flip though. They will produce the more common calibers in higher quantities. I had a guy ask if we had a 32-30 Winchester the other day. I laughed and said no. He was asked why not? Its the one you have the most ammo for. We have that because nobody has one. Doesn't mean its produced in high quantities, its purchased in low quantities.

Wapiti1

WKR
Corbland hit it. Ammo availability will be spotty, but I would still tell you to buy something common like a 30-06, .270, etc. Yes, lots of others have them. The ammo companies know that and guess what they will focus on replenishing. They aren't going to replenish the .348 Winchester coffers nearly as fast as the standard hunting cartridges.

Also understand that anything not popular will be more expensive in the long run and you will have fewer brand options. Every maker (foreign and domestic) offers 30-06.

I have several rifles worth of money in reloading supplies to handle the oddball stuff I have. Try to find .375 Flanged Magnum for a decent price.

Jeremy

308 isn’t too absurd on GunBroker. Tons of choices for rifles too. Versatile and light recoil.

You may consider finding a fairly large ammo lot that isn’t too marked up first, and get your rifle after you have ammo.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This will flip though. They will produce the more common calibers in higher quantities. I had a guy ask if we had a 32-30 Winchester the other day. I laughed and said no. He was asked why not? Its the one you have the most ammo for. We have that because nobody has one. Doesn't mean its produced in high quantities, its purchased in low quantities.
Hahahhaa, the only ammo in one shop was 25-20 Winchester, I had my brother buy two boxes for me.

Slugz

WKR
Like the others before me have said.
If you are worried about it then dont buy one of these calibers that was made just to fill a spot in the market. Stay away from em.

243, 7mm-08, 270, 308, 30-06 or 300 Win Mag

You should have no issue with the above. Factory or reloading. This to shall pass then you can go get a 28 Nosler or 6.5 of the day.
Hope that helps.

CorbLand

WKR
Hahahhaa, the only ammo in one shop was 25-20 Winchester, I had my brother buy two boxes for me.
Also had a guy dead set on buying a 350 legend because, and I am not kidding and pretty much a quote directly from his mouth, "you have 2 boxes of ammo on the shelf for it." 40 rounds, we had 40 rounds and that was enough to justify the purchase of a complete new rifle.

Normal isn't coming back any time soon. To avoid getting the shaft with prices it's best to not be in a rush with these things -- start looking now and then be ready when you come across a deal.

Buy used, I see you're in NC. carolinafirearmsforum.com is a great site to check out for buying/selling

I went to four stores this morning looking for ammo. Between the four they had pretty much every common caliber. 9mm, 40sw, 45acp, 357sig, 22LR, 6.5cm, 270win, 308win, 3006, 300wm, 270wsm, 7wsm, 300wsm, 338 lapua, 50bmg, 6.5-284, 26 nosler, 28 nosler, 33 nosler, and more.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Any thought for me going into a new rifle? Would it be better to wait?
If you don't need it right now, ya......I'd wait. Buying during a mass panic is never a good idea. And the reason why there's panic is because most feel that this will last forever. That's why they are panicking. If everyone thought this would be over soon, no one would be panicking. But in the end..........this too shall pass. And then folks will be sitting there wondering why they bought primers for $250/brick when they're really only worth $35. Sell during the panics, and buy when no one else seems to want the stuff.

Just start reloading while you’re at it- that ought to be enough to really make you want to pull your hair out

OP
Bobrunner06

Bobrunner06

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I agree. Thanks for your insight

OP
Bobrunner06

Bobrunner06

Lil-Rokslider
Normal isn't coming back any time soon. To avoid getting the shaft with prices it's best to not be in a rush with these things -- start looking now and then be ready when you come across a deal.

Buy used, I see you're in NC. carolinafirearmsforum.com is a great site to check out for buying/selling
thanks for the suggestion!