Nothern California Bear Hunting

M_E_

FNG
Hi All,

I am looking into doing a Northern California fall bear hunt. I am new to California and looking to see what the hunt opportunities here look like. I have heard lots about the CA Bears so figured i'd give it a go. I am planning on doing an archery hunt, but open to rifle as well and looking for any advice. I have heard a few different places that would be good to go, but not sure exactly where within the areas or if they are good becasue i've heard good and bad about each. Not looking for peoples secret spots, just some advice. Here are a few of the areas i've heard to focus on. D area along 108, Trinity Alps, Mendicino County. Any adice would be much appreciated! Thank you.

Warmsy

WKR
Those are great places. Mendocino national forest is full of bears. I haven't been up there since the fire, and people have been saying not much sign up there this year... Seen lots of bear activity in D zones 3 and 5, but haven't connected with one yet.

There are several threads detailing what to look for-elevation, food sources, daytime/nighttime behavior.

There’s a ton of bears up here in Northern California. I don’t know anything about the d zones but b zone is loaded with them. From the valley to the highest peaks you’ll find bears. The alps are good, on a scouting trip last year a buddy and me found bears in every single bowl we glassed. 5 bears in just an evening and morning glassing session. Cameras are always fun to set and check. Depending on where you live you don’t have to drive hours to find bears.

If you head further north around Scott Bar you'll find property owners willing to provide you trespassing rights after the first snow. These small communities attract bears making the task of locating a "proper bear" easier. You might end up hunting near someone's trash cans and even be advised the usual timeframe those cans get hit. Spot & stalk for bears is really hard and requires a lot more time be invested to pattern a bear. This is a shortcut that increases success plus you'll be hailed as an asset by the community. An alternative to consider anyway. Look for fresh bear sign. :)

IMGP2834.jpg

OP
M

M_E_

FNG
Those are great places. Mendocino national forest is full of bears. I haven't been up there since the fire, and people have been saying not much sign up there this year... Seen lots of bear activity in D zones 3 and 5, but haven't connected with one yet.

There are several threads detailing what to look for-elevation, food sources, daytime/nighttime behavior.
There’s a ton of bears up here in Northern California. I don’t know anything about the d zones but b zone is loaded with them. From the valley to the highest peaks you’ll find bears. The alps are good, on a scouting trip last year a buddy and me found bears in every single bowl we glassed. 5 bears in just an evening and morning glassing session. Cameras are always fun to set and check. Depending on where you live you don’t have to drive hours to find bears.
Great to hear! Thanks for the tips. Are you typically hiking a decent way out from roads or able to stick within a few miles of roads?

Warmsy

WKR
Most of the bears or heavy sign I've seen has been fairly close to roads in both b and d zones. Both of the area in taking about happened to have lots of roads in general.

OP
M

M_E_

FNG
If you head further north around Scott Bar you'll find property owners willing to provide you trespassing rights after the first snow. These small communities attract bears making the task of locating a "proper bear" easier. You might end up hunting near someone's trash cans and even be advised the usual timeframe those cans get hit. Spot & stalk for bears is really hard and requires a lot more time be invested to pattern a bear. This is a shortcut that increases success plus you'll be hailed as an asset by the community. An alternative to consider anyway. Look for fresh bear sign. :)

View attachment 304440
Thanks for the tip, I actually ended up near scott bar a few weeks ago. Looks like good bear country. I may head back up there in a week or two (praying for some snow) and see if I can find some people to let me on their property. Tons of public land up there too! I'll let you know if i find anything

Western_hunter87

Lil-Rokslider
Hi All,

I am looking into doing a Northern California fall bear hunt. I am new to California and looking to see what the hunt opportunities here look like. I have heard lots about the CA Bears so figured i'd give it a go. I am planning on doing an archery hunt, but open to rifle as well and looking for any advice. I have heard a few different places that would be good to go, but not sure exactly where within the areas or if they are good becasue i've heard good and bad about each. Not looking for peoples secret spots, just some advice. Here are a few of the areas i've heard to focus on. D area along 108, Trinity Alps, Mendicino County. Any adice would be much appreciated! Thank you.
lots of bears in the d zones. iv seen 7 bears in one day. shot one but never recovered. depending on the type of hunt your looking for differnt spots will be better than others. B zones have lots of bears but is thick and very hard to glass... d zones have lots to glass but lots of granite and rock.. both can be good or bad