November Archery Elk

Hey guys, I’m pretty new to Rokslide and just moved to Montana in August, so I know next to nothing about elk hunting. I was only able to go out for one weekend in September and got inside 40 yards of a 4x4 bull before the wind swirled and he was gone.

I’ll be going out this weekend and next and I’m taking the first legal elk I can-cow or antlered bull. I also have a deer tag in case I see one. Obviously staying dry and warm is paramount, I think I’ll be okay with that, but has anyone bowhunted elk using spot and stalk or still hunting tactics in November? If so, what process should I follow to find elk?

I’ll probably be somewhere in Gallatin county, so if you know of general areas or elevations depending on the weather that might be productive that would be great. Obviously I’m not asking for honey holes.

Also, how do elk behave at this time of year? Do cows usually herd up? Are bulls solitary or is there sometimes a second rut for the cows that weren’t bred? It’s supposed to be ~25° during the day and will probably snow at least once while I’m out there. Should I glass south facing slopes for feeding elk? Should I return to the place I went last time or look somewhere else? Should I be seeing lots of sign in fresh snow? Should I even try cow calling if I get in close? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Hope you’re all having a great week and getting after it in the mountains!
-Josiah

rratzlaff1490

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Josiah! Congrats on moving to Montana. Something I hope to do someday.
You’re right about the cow elk herding up, usually on private ground. There are always some bulls hanging around the herds but are usually the younger bulls. Could be to your advantage to get to know some of the ranchers in the area and try and gain some access on private. Easier said then done. The larger bulls are usually in small groups 2-3 at a time and it takes them a little while longer to come out of the mountains. They are super weary by November and are looking to do nothing but eat as much as possible. Get out there and walk and glass and have that game plan on repeat. Cover country. Good luck and share some pics of the success!

Bighorner

WKR
Just for curiosity's sake, why use a bow during a fire arm season. I think it would be a great challenge or maybe you are dealing with a weapons restriction. If not you may be limiting your odds of success somewhat.

OP
J
Hey Josiah! Congrats on moving to Montana. Something I hope to do someday.
You’re right about the cow elk herding up, usually on private ground. There are always some bulls hanging around the herds but are usually the younger bulls. Could be to your advantage to get to know some of the ranchers in the area and try and gain some access on private. Easier said then done. The larger bulls are usually in small groups 2-3 at a time and it takes them a little while longer to come out of the mountains. They are super weary by November and are looking to do nothing but eat as much as possible. Get out there and walk and glass and have that game plan on repeat. Cover country. Good luck and share some pics of the success!
Thanks! That makes sense--cover country until I start glassing elk or seeing sign. Where I'll probably be going is on a finger of national forest that is surrounded by private elk hunting and cattle ranches, about a 7-8 mile hike in so I'll definitely hunt the private land borders since I don't have permission right now.

OP
J
Just for curiosity's sake, why use a bow during a fire arm season. I think it would be a great challenge or maybe you are dealing with a weapons restriction. If not you may be limiting your odds of success somewhat.
Yeah, there are a couple reasons why I'm bowhunting during rifle season. It's mainly because I'm a poor college kid :) and don't have/can't afford a rifle suitable for elk or deer yet, but also just because I love bowhunting. It would definitely be easier with a rifle though, and since I paid nonresident college prices I would be hunting with a rifle if I had one.