november montana elk clothing recomendation

Gunner10

FNG
I'm a midwest whitetail guy but going to try my luck in the mountains on a late season elk hunt this fall. Ive looked at the typical 3 "western" clothing brands, sitka, kuiu and FL . Just wondering of those 3 or any others that are comparable or better and what weight of garments i need. Thanks

Motown

WKR
Tagging in. I am not Elk hunting but heading to MT in November for mule deer.

If you’re on a strict budget mix and matching brands is the way to go. Also don’t be afraid of solids, camo is really not necessary for most western rifle hunting. I believe first lite has a sale going on right now that would be worth checking out. I would also check out kings camo, black ovis, and skre gear.

406unltd

WKR
It really just depends how hot or cold you run and the type of exertion put out. Rule of thumb would be base layer, fleece layer maybe two if needed, puffy jacket, rain jacket, and some equivalent of Alaios, timberline, or mountain pants. Socks and boots are also important, but also very personal. I wear uninsulated boots always.

Legend

WKR
Just dress in layers and bring a solid down coat. I wear very few clothes when i am pounding up a mountain in a foot of snow. But you might freeze sid whenbyou get to the glassing point.

Layers is all you need

KHNC

WKR
Specifically, when I hunted NW Montana several years ago , in the snow. I wore Kryptek Altitude Tora pants and jacket with kennetrek gaiters and Lowa Camino boots. 1 pair of merino socks, merino underwear, merino base layer top and bottom , and a Browning down vest under the Tora Jacket. Also wore a merino stocking cap with neck gaiter. This was all I wore since I was hiking up and down mountain trails all day long on a futile attempt to find non-existent elk. lol. While sitting to glass, I was good for an hour or two at a time. Got pretty warm while hiking and never got cold. Whatever gloves are comfortable to you would be fine. I wore smartwool gloves , a thin pair.