November Mule Deer Tips

CiK01

WKR
What is 1 tip you would give someone new to Mule Deer hunting? I have never been and wouldn't begin to know where to start. What is one thing you would tell me to focus on or watch out for?

Wapiti1

WKR
Yep. Find groups of does. Keep tabs on them and the bucks will eventually show. Don't overlook really open low country with no cover.

Jeremy

Yep. Find groups of does. Keep tabs on them and the bucks will eventually show. Don't overlook really open low country with no cover.

Jeremy

While I agree, I'd start by checking areas with significant cover first.

2ski

WKR
Look for them where it looks like mule deer will be. I know that sounds really simple and flippant but it is kind of that simple to me. I drive around all the time and see areas off the side of the road, and I know there are mule deer in them. Open country with a cut on the hillside with buck brush almost always has deer. Open hills with a cut and any cover( pine trees, brush, ect) almost always has deer. In my opinion, mule deer are about the easiest thing to find. In the woods if there's a creek running through the bottom with brush, probably has deer. If's it's aspens, its probably white tails. Walk into their cover areas and they will spook. Or glass areas and look for them in the morning coming back to the bedding areas.

If it looks like this, there will be mule deer all over. http://klamathrivercountryestates.com/400_land/wrk_buckbrush03.html

marktole

WKR
I would say rifle.

Gotcha, gotcha, there are some good states that you can hunt mule deer with a bow (KS, NE) in November so I thought I’d ask.

When I have hunted Colorado in November for mule deer before I always got to a spot where I could glass a ton of country and just sit there for hours and watch.

Earlier advice given, find some does, bucks are surely not too far away. Also keep an eye out for bucks cruising by themselves, looking for the does. Then once you find the one you want to shoot, make a plan and go after it.

Honestly it’s really not too terribly complicated in November if conditions are good because bucks can be really active and visible, but could seem daunting if you’ve never done it before. Sounds like you’re doing some research before getting out there so you should have a good first time experience!

Jorge400

FNG
November - as stated, does=bucks and it seems new ones arrive everyday if you are in does.

For someone new to mule deer hunting I'd tell you to be careful of skylining and movement. The one thing about mule deer that I notice more than elk or whitetails is they seem to pick up movement more easily. That being said, a muley is likely to bound off but stop and look back whereas a whitetail usually busts it to the next county.