November Oregon elk hunt clothing list

ofl0926

WKR
Hey what’s up everyone. As companies get inventory back in stock, I want to make sure if I order something, I get it in time. I believe I have everything I need but I’m having a hard time trying to figure out what exactly to pack. This is my first elk hunt with a guide in eastern Oregon in the month of November. Listed is what I have. I just want some guidance as what to bring and what to leave for clothes. Also how many pairs of socks or underwear should I bring. I believe we are going in on horse back and going from there. 9 day hunt. Thanks everyone

Catalyst jacket
Sawtooth
Uncompahdre puffy
Kifaru LPP
Allegheny bottom base
Fuse bottom base
Kanab pants
Corrugate guide pants
Aerowool lite top x2
Chama top
furnace top
Halstead fleece
Badlands rain gear
Grizzly gloves
Talus gloves x2
Brambler gaiters
Beanie
Neck gaiter
Balaclava
Kryptek vest
Merino socks
Crispi Nevada 200gr insulated boots
Salomon 4dr GTX boots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
For second season elk in Eastern Oregon we typically don't get any rain. Fog and snow showers are highly likely. I usually only pack a rain jacket in my pack for emergencies or to keep the wind off during glassing or sitting periods. Gaiters are a must for me, along with stiff leather gore lined boots. I also recommend puffy pants and jacket, they pack well and are nice to have if it gets cold. Night temps at 0 degrees are not uncommon.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
For second season elk in Eastern Oregon we typically don't get any rain. Fog and snow showers are highly likely. I usually only pack a rain jacket in my pack for emergencies or to keep the wind off during glassing or sitting periods. Gaiters are a must for me, along with stiff leather gore lined boots. I also recommend puffy pants and jacket, they pack well and are nice to have if it gets cold. Night temps at 0 degrees are not uncommon.

appreciate the input. def trying to prepare as much as possible

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the same boat, trying to get everything I need for eastern Oregon elk! What unit are you going in?

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
ill
I’m in the same boat, trying to get everything I need for eastern Oregon elk! What unit are you going in?

be going into murderers creek with an outfitter for rifle. you?

We hunt NE oregon every year. Will be up there for a total of 4 weeks this year between Oct-Nov. Its taken awhile to really dial in my gear but I believe in getting close.

It Will be cold at times and plan for snow. Could be a skiff or could be multiple ft.

Here's a little break down of some stuff I pack. Keep in mind we hike alot. But also glass alot. I would say I dont get super cold. I dress on the light side in layers. HATE sweating. Nothing worse then hiking, sweating and then stopping to glass in snow, wind and 20* weather....

Good socks- ex. GORE, darn tough, etc.
Good underwear. Whatever style you prefer
As for numbers bring as much as you can haha those are the only two pieces of clothing I really care to change out. Especially socks, nothing worse then wet feet. Whether from sweat or leaky boots.

Boots- I wear both non and insulated kenetreks. I could go either way. We hike alot. Your crispis will be fine as long as they DONT leak!

Gaitors- an absolute MUST for me

Light merino long underwear.

Pants- kuiu attack, eddie Bauer guide, sitka mtn. I actually wear my eddie bauers the most because they are the lightest.

Light merino long sleeve top

Puffy jacket- synthetic or down. Depends if it's strictly for classing or will be hiked in. Also how much space you have.

Light/medium top- own way to many but something like peleton 240.

Wind shell for glassing or if really windy hiking ridges. Also water resistant incase that's needed as I dont always have rain gear. I wear a sitka timberline i think. Super light, thin, and has hood.

Rain gear- hit or miss if its in my pack. Really depends on the hunt and if I feel I could use it/need it in an emergency... I vaccum pack it at home. Keep it in base camp and go from there. That way if i want it, it's super small and compact and can throw it in the pack. Also always have a cheap little pancho in my emergency gear.

Merino beanie

Neck gator

Small light gloves something synthetic or merino. Own a few pairs from kuiu, sitka, etc. Hands dont really get cold. Just enough to knock off the chill if weather is bad. Still can shoot with them, run turrets, use phone, etc.

Good belt or suspenders

Trecking poles

Good pack

Normal pack stuff- we all have different wants there

Good glass

Shoot straight!

Have fun!

Vargasm

FNG
I hunt the desolation unit every year, which is just north of the murders creek. Below is my typical list of what I normally bring.

Pants: Kuiu guide pants or Kuiu Teton pants, 145 merino, super down pant, kuiu chugach, Yukon gators

Top: kuiu peloton 130, 97 zip hoodie, peloton 240 vest, teton insulated jacket, super down hooded jacket, chugach jacket. I have a guide jacket but it is only used in drier, warmer weather.

Good pair of waterproof boots(nothing worse than wet feet) typically 400-800grams thinsulate depended on temp.

Kuiu expedition gloves and peloton 200 gloves. As well as a beanie of some sort.

The super down and raingear stay in my pack until I sit and glass or a downpour starts up.

With this I have hunted in 70degree sunny days (which has happened that 2nd season), seasons where it never stops raining, and seasons that are fairly dry and cold (close to zero with wind chill most of the morning).

If this upcoming season is anything like the last two years you can expect light snow (6-8 inches over the course of the season at 6000ft) with cold temperatures getting close to single digits and good gusts of wind at times. It can make for some very cold sits, this year I plan on adding a kifaru woobie to help stay warm while sitting for extended periods.

I will add that I typically have a wall tent to go back to with a wood stove to dry things out if I get really wet. Also weight and space isn't an issue for me so I have a new pair of socks and underwear for each day.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
ill

be going into murderers creek with an outfitter for rifle. you?

Nice. I’m going Imnaha! Was going to do minam because my wife used to pack all over the eagle cap with her uncle which is the outfitter for the minam but you can draw the minam every year and I got 5 points in trying to burn before moving to montana

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
We hunt NE oregon every year. Will be up there for a total of 4 weeks this year between Oct-Nov. Its taken awhile to really dial in my gear but I believe in getting close.

It Will be cold at times and plan for snow. Could be a skiff or could be multiple ft.

Here's a little break down of some stuff I pack. Keep in mind we hike alot. But also glass alot. I would say I dont get super cold. I dress on the light side in layers. HATE sweating. Nothing worse then hiking, sweating and then stopping to glass in snow, wind and 20* weather....

Good socks- ex. GORE, darn tough, etc.
Good underwear. Whatever style you prefer
As for numbers bring as much as you can haha those are the only two pieces of clothing I really care to change out. Especially socks, nothing worse then wet feet. Whether from sweat or leaky boots.

Boots- I wear both non and insulated kenetreks. I could go either way. We hike alot. Your crispis will be fine as long as they DONT leak!

Gaitors- an absolute MUST for me

Light merino long underwear.

Pants- kuiu attack, eddie Bauer guide, sitka mtn. I actually wear my eddie bauers the most because they are the lightest.

Light merino long sleeve top

Puffy jacket- synthetic or down. Depends if it's strictly for classing or will be hiked in. Also how much space you have.

Light/medium top- own way to many but something like peleton 240.

Wind shell for glassing or if really windy hiking ridges. Also water resistant incase that's needed as I dont always have rain gear. I wear a sitka timberline i think. Super light, thin, and has hood.

Rain gear- hit or miss if its in my pack. Really depends on the hunt and if I feel I could use it/need it in an emergency... I vaccum pack it at home. Keep it in base camp and go from there. That way if i want it, it's super small and compact and can throw it in the pack. Also always have a cheap little pancho in my emergency gear.

Merino beanie

Neck gator

Small light gloves something synthetic or merino. Own a few pairs from kuiu, sitka, etc. Hands dont really get cold. Just enough to knock off the chill if weather is bad. Still can shoot with them, run turrets, use phone, etc.

Good belt or suspenders

Trecking poles

Good pack

Normal pack stuff- we all have different wants there

Good glass

Shoot straight!

Have fun!

what can you recommend for a trekking poll?

what can you recommend for a trekking poll?

Ive been running those Cascade mountain tech ones. Get them from Costco, Amazon, etc. Carbon fiber, cork grip with flip lock is the ones I like. Tons of people running them and there like 30 bucks!

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Ive been running those Cascade mountain tech ones. Get them from Costco, Amazon, etc. Carbon fiber, cork grip with flip lock is the ones I like. Tons of people running them and there like 30 bucks!

yeah I was reading on those on the forum. I seen them on amazon and I believe they are $40. probably gonna buy them soon

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
For me it is feet and hands that are first to ruin a day. Darn Tough socks (I wear the boot sock 'cushion' for walking and pack a 'full cushion' for long periods of sitting) and a shell mitten for when you are sitting are key for me. Layers, layers, layers. Schnee's boots are great, spendy but worth it.

I completely agree
I’m going to be running a liner and fingerless glove while on the move and I have the grizzly mits from first lite for glassing. I also picked up a woobie from Kifaru that I will use while glassing.