Now I have to wait...

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I've been hunting solo this week. Every morning and evening I've gotten within 90 yards of a bull. Once to 75 yards. I keep it at 60... after this morning's hunt I got back and had breakfast. Shot my bow at 70 a few times. I was waiting for the wind to pickup to still hunt a ridge, when 400 yards cross valley I heard crashing. I see a cow and right then a bull rips a bugle. I have an idea were they're going, so I grab my bow and go. I get out in front of them. They ended up cutting across sooner than I realize so I double back on my hastily made tracks. I see a cow... then one of the bulls... Im too low to get a shot... I move up.. the second bull comes into view, right as I draw another cow barks... i rushed my shot, never settled in. I let them all go by at least 10 cows. I didnt hear a thump and I didn't see blood within 30 yards of where I shot at him. I can't find my arrow... so now I'm back at camp feeling miserable not knowing if I hit, missed or worse gut shot this bull because I rushed it. At least I have a bar of 4g so I can vent to the wide open internet.

OP
Jskaanland

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
p.s. I'll try and update tonight as long as I don't cry myself to sleep on the hill.

Gerbdog

WKR
Tough situation. That never feels good. The stress starts after the arrow is let loose! hang in there! give it your 100% to find that arrow or find blood and then rest easy knowing you gave it as good a search as you can for the bulls sake. Wont be able to get the encounter out of your head.... its a great learning experience. If you can locate that arrow with no blood you can rest easier knowing the bull will live on to thwart another hunter another day.

OP
Jskaanland

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Just an update, I waited just over 3 hours to start looking. I have yet to find blood or any sign. Gonna keep looking till dark then go back and look for my arrow again. While not reflective the vanes show up well under LED. Not to self... get nockturnals

superjo

FNG
I've been hunting solo this week. Every morning and evening I've gotten within 90 yards of a bull. Once to 75 yards. I keep it at 60... after this morning's hunt I got back and had breakfast. Shot my bow at 70 a few times. I was waiting for the wind to pickup to still hunt a ridge, when 400 yards cross valley I heard crashing. I see a cow and right then a bull rips a bugle. I have an idea were they're going, so I grab my bow and go. I get out in front of them. They ended up cutting across sooner than I realize so I double back on my hastily made tracks. I see a cow... then one of the bulls... Im too low to get a shot... I move up.. the second bull comes into view, right as I draw another cow barks... i rushed my shot, never settled in. I let them all go by at least 10 cows. I didnt hear a thump and I didn't see blood within 30 yards of where I shot at him. I can't find my arrow... so now I'm back at camp feeling miserable not knowing if I hit, missed or worse gut shot this bull because I rushed it. At least I have a bar of 4g so I can vent to the wide open internet.
Good luck, don't give up

OP
Jskaanland

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Nothing new to report. I put a ton of miles out there and no sign. I went back at dusk and didn't see the arrow. He was standing on a bump in tall grass, so it could have gone under that matted grass.

I'm gonna look again tomorrow.

Diamond K

FNG
Don't give up. Several years ago a buddy of mine arrowed a bull in CO but couldn't find any blood. He did find a little hair but that was it. Three days later he called in a bull in the same spot and guess what?? It was the same bull with the arrow still in it. He could see the fletching move as he bugled. He killed it that time and found that the arrow had deflected down the rib cage and was just under the hide.
Strange but true. So you just never know.

Don't give up. Several years ago a buddy of mine arrowed a bull in CO but couldn't find any blood. He did find a little hair but that was it. Three days later he called in a bull in the same spot and guess what?? It was the same bull with the arrow still in it. He could see the fletching move as he bugled. He killed it that time and found that the arrow had deflected down the rib cage and was just under the hide.
Strange but true. So you just never know.
This is crazy! To the OP - I wish you the best and hope you find your arrow and/or the bull!