Now or Never and My Wife Wants to go!

87TT

WKR
I know a backpack hunt sounds like a dream hunt but I would do a truck camp with several options. Learn to hunt elk first and leave the backpacking for another time. When you have more experience And time. Otherwise you may just end up with a camping trip with a bow. Five days is way short and you shouldn’t waste any time with backpack camping stuff. That way you can hunt longer and be more efficient.

OP
V

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
I know a backpack hunt sounds like a dream hunt but I would do a truck camp with several options. Learn to hunt elk first and leave the backpacking for another time. When you have more experience And time. Otherwise you may just end up with a camping trip with a bow. Five days is way short and you shouldn’t waste any time with backpack camping stuff. That way you can hunt longer and be more efficient.
I actually thought about camping from my truck but not sure about how? Where to park etc. and at that point t I’d probably tow a small camper with me. I like the idea of it gets me more time. I could probably stretch the hunt to seven days now that I’m crunching the calendar.

if I were to camp from my truck, where to park etc and all that?

Firestone

WKR
I actually thought about camping from my truck but not sure about how? Where to park etc. and at that point t I’d probably tow a small camper with me. I like the idea of it gets me more time. I could probably stretch the hunt to seven days now that I’m crunching the calendar.

if I were to camp from my truck, where to park etc and all that?
The beauty of a truck camp is the mobility. I park and sleep where I will be hunting in the morning. I sleep in my topper or on a cot next to the truck. I have done a camper and although it is nice from a luxury end of things, I find it cumbersome and a pain in the a$$. This is the route I would recommend over a backpacking trip. Good luck

4rcgoat

WKR
Not sure about down there,but up the road in these parts you just find a halfass site somewhere off the road. As long as you aren't parked in a riparian area or on top of small tress you will be fine. I truck camp a lot........just be prepared for anything and everything.

Attachments

• 20160924_111508.jpg
    20160924_111508.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 54
OP
V

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
Well I committed to eight days of hunting and two days driving on each end. That’s the best I can do with work and family and of course whitetails! Lol!

the truck camping sounds appealing but still trying to picture just pulling off a trail and setting up there?

Well I committed to eight days of hunting and two days driving on each end. That’s the best I can do with work and family and of course whitetails! Lol!

the truck camping sounds appealing but still trying to picture just pulling off a trail and setting up there?

Anywhere you can park a truck off the side of the road and pitch a tent = truck camping. Once you're out there it will be obvious. Most of the time there are obvious areas that people have been using to do just that for decades prior to you being there.

I agree, you should forego the plan of backpacking. Concentrate on finding elk and not camping. That way you don't get stuck to a dead area.

ridgefire

WKR
8 days should be enough time to give you a decent opportunity or two at an elk. I'm not sure how it is back east but most places I camp is just pulling off the gravel road and setting up camp. I would cover ground until you find the elk and then get after it.

OP
V

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
8 days should be enough time to give you a decent opportunity or two at an elk. I'm not sure how it is back east but most places I camp is just pulling off the gravel road and setting up camp. I would cover ground until you find the elk and then get after it.
Are the forest roads that abundant that one can drive easily into areas? I’ve been to the Allegheny National Forest here in PA a few times and never really paid much attention to that aspect.

Rob5589

WKR
Are the forest roads that abundant that one can drive easily into areas? I’ve been to the Allegheny National Forest here in PA a few times and never really paid much attention to that aspect.
Pretty much.

I’m not a risk taker or adrenaline junky but I’m in good shape and smart woods-wise. I’ll have an InReach with me. And I know my mental and physical limits. But if there’s one thing I do love, it’s camping and being outside. My dad took us all the time when we were kids. Fishing, hunting and just for fun.

He's not referring to being an adrenaline junky. Elk move constantly, they don't graze one spot, they rotate through areas, so backpacking into where elk aren't is wasting key days. I'd venture to say most everyone here has learned from personal experience that unless you have an area you know exceptionally well (and even then you can get screwed), backpacking in to an area for a whole hunt is dubious at best, especially blindly.

If you e-scouted the area, you could have 10 great spots, 15 micro habitats and only 2 of those could hold elk, 0 could. I wouldn't gamble a whole hunt on backpacking into an area.

FlyGuy

WKR
You look pretty dialed for a newb, IMO. My few comments are:

- Yes to the puffy. Something like the Sitka active jacket/hoody

- I’d bring more socks! But that’s just me and That is an area I where splurge! My damn feet stink SO BAD, I bring a pair for each day. God it’s so awful. It will run a grown man out of a tent.

- make sure to put one of those 3 lighters in your Bino harness or your pocket. That way when you drop your pack “right next to that big rock where you know you can find it easy”, you’ll still have a fire starter with you while you panic.

- I’d really try to squeeze 2-3 more days out of that trip. Honestly, it’s going to ruin your deer hunting anyway. I promise you will be sitting in that boring ass tree stand on your regular place and just kicking yourself about not staying even one more day. Really, think about that decision a little more. 5 days may seem like a long time, but it’s over in a heartbeat.

- thank you for all you do. I hope you have a great experience and come home with new stories to make your buddy jealous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FlyGuy

WKR
You look pretty dialed for a newb, IMO. My few comments are:

- Yes to the puffy. Something like the Sitka active jacket/hoody

- I’d bring more socks! But that’s just me and That is an area I where splurge! My damn feet stink SO BAD, I bring a pair for each day. God it’s so awful. It will run a grown man out of a tent.

- make sure to put one of those 3 lighters in your Bino harness or your pocket. That way when you drop your pack “right next to that big rock where you know you can find it easy”, you’ll still have a fire starter with you while you panic.

- I’d really try to squeeze 2-3 more days out of that trip. Honestly, it’s going to ruin your deer hunting anyway. I promise you will be sitting in that boring ass tree stand on your regular place and just kicking yourself about not staying even one more day. Really, think about that decision a little more. 5 days may seem like a long time, but it’s over in a heartbeat.

- thank you for all you do. I hope you have a great experience and come home with new stories to make your buddy jealous.

Edit- 8 days should work, glad you made that call

stonewall

WKR
Lunch/snack: Trail mix, electrolyte drink mix, protein bars, more peanut butter snack crackers and a cinnamon raisin bagel. Dried fruits.

Dinner: MH meal, some sort addition to bulk up the calories in the MH meal? Maybe add some instant and cheese as a side?

So that’s what I’m working on now. Let’s hope life doesn’t get in the way again this year.

Ideas?
Lot of good advice already given. The thing that jumped out at me was “protein bars.” I did a backpacking trip one time with protein bars as part of the daily ration. To this day I can’t stand them. If it works for you great, but it ruined my appetite and I struggled to eat. Just doesn’t work for me personally

OP
V

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all. The truck camping really opens up a lot of options I hadn’t thought about.
More and better food options for one. Better sleep options too. A cot or an air bed. Real pillows and maybe real blankets etc. Storage obviously. I could bring a folding camp chair to lounge in the evening before bed, a propane stove to cook food. Real coffee! Not instant. Plenty of water too. By the case. And makes more sense to be able to pack up and move pretty quick.
I could fill one of the coolers with food and dry ice and be good for the entire trip and have a bunch of food already made up and frozen. Just reheat. I can bring extra clothing too. Spare items and did I mention food!?

ElkNut1

WKR
Base camp is all I do, no need to bivy at all. Been at it over 40 years & year 31 as a bowhunter. I hunt OTC every year, most all bulls are taken 2 gps miles & under. I'm more into hunting Smarter over Harder. The harder comes naturally when the elk is down! (grin) Glass open country & use your Calls for tighter timbered country to locate elk. This simple method works nearly every time, be patient & have the needed confidence that You Will Succeed! Camping is not your main objective here, you can do that anytime & anywhere! Stay motivated, stay serious, stay focused.

ElkNut

So for those who basecamp, are you doing a lot of hiking in the dark? It seems that an advantage of spiking out is that you could minimize the hiking in or out. Take advantage of last light, then throw up your tent where you are. Save some miles on the feet.

But this is just one more flatlander prepping for his first season.

Gerbdog

WKR
So for those who basecamp, are you doing a lot of hiking in the dark? It seems that an advantage of spiking out is that you could minimize the hiking in or out. Take advantage of last light, then throw up your tent where you are. Save some miles on the feet.

But this is just one more flatlander prepping for his first season.
Yea, you can gain those advantages of spiking out for sure, saves miles on the feet.... but all of that only matters if your into elk. Truck camping as many suggest just gives you the freedom to completely move areas on a whim until you find the elk, which is the hardest part. You should always be doing a lot of hiking in the dark, whether your camping out of the truck or camping out of your pack. Get out there and hike around and Listen for elk long before the suns up and hunt until the sun goes down. I wouldnt count on waking up into elk even if your spiking, your not gonna wanna camp in the midst of them when the sun goes down and your gonna have to be incredibly lucky to wake up in them.... that said, sure is cool hearing them bugling all night long when your out there spiking

Gila

WKR
I’m not a risk taker or adrenaline junky but I’m in good shape and smart woods-wise. I’ll have an InReach with me. And I know my mental and physical limits. But if there’s one thing I do love, it’s camping and being outside. My dad took us all the time when we were kids. Fishing, hunting and just for fun.
Sounds like you are the type to git er done! Go out and have a great time. Most of my hunting and fishing, trapping has been solo. Granted I live not far from where I hunt but things can happen in your back yard too. Last year I went solo for 5 days and had the hunt of a lifetime. I havarvested a really nice bull. Hauled it out myself at night. The meat is great! I am going solo again this year too. I have another awesome tag. Good luck and have fun planning. Let us know how your are doing. I like reading this kind of stuff.