NPR reports that electric bikes will be classified as non-motorized by NPS and USFS

I’m going to go out on a limb here for my opinion as an avid E bike rider. I love my ebike it has helped me become a healthier person by finding a new passion for fitness, whether some people like it or not. If you are going to own an ebike that is going to soon fit into the class 1 specs of being classified as a “e-whatever legal bicycle” they are not going to give you a giant advantage over a traditional bicycle.

My Rad Rover 750 watt bike is good for about 4-7 miles to conserve enough battery for the way out. With any hills 12% grade or below and on a road or trail free from rocks, ruts, and stumps. As the rider, your still sucking wind going up “steeper grades” and speeds average 5-12mph on this terrain. I’m sure the more juiced up bikes can go up technical trails but i can tell you from experience it’s not going to come from the class 1’s. I do have to get off and push my bike up some unmanageable portions or on grades that are too steep. I hate to tell you, but they are not a dirt bike even though some people who are anti-E bike are thinking they are and can still go 24 mph not pedaling and maintain that going up steep hills

Earlier this year i had a individual get semi aggressive with my husband and I riding our ebikes. Everyone here is just as educated as i am with ebike laws, but i reached out to both Montana FWP and the Montana state DOJ anyways for their thoughts anyways and these our the responses I got:

FWP: “e-bikes are considered a motorized bike. You cannot operate them in areas or trails that prohibit motorized travel. The laws you referenced allow you to ride them without a license plate on public roads that allow other vehicle traffic.”

Montana DOJ MVD: 42) (a) "Motorcycle" means a motor vehicle that has a seat or saddle for the use of the operator and that is designated to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground. A motorcycle may carry one or more attachments and a seat for the conveyance of a passenger.

(b) A motorcycle designed for use on highways is a motor vehicle unless otherwise prescribed.

(c) A motorcycle designed for off-road recreational use is an off-highway vehicle unless it has been modified to meet the equipment standards specified in chapter 9 and has been registered for highway use.

(d) The term does not include a tractor, a bicycle or a moped as defined in 61-8-102, a motorized nonstandard vehicle, or a two- or three-wheeled all-terrain vehicle that is used exclusively on private property.

(43) (a) "Motor-driven cycle" means a motorcycle, including a motor scooter, with a motor that produces 5 horsepower or less.

(b) The term does not include a bicycle or a moped, as defined in 61-8-102, or a motorized nonstandard vehicle.

For MCA 61-8-102(b) "Bicycle" means a vehicle propelled solely by human power on which any person may ride, irrespective of the number of wheels, except scooters, wheelchairs, and similar devices. The term includes an electrically assisted bicycle.

Take it for what it is but ebikes are almost in the same category as marijuana. Eventually they will be a more involved part of our society and the people who have been smoking and eating behind closed doors will be more forthcoming about it.

Not everyone has the means to own horses or other types of stock. class 1 ebikes are not going to end up in the extreme backcountry or wilderness anyways. But for the front range hunter they can be a fun a useful tool

I have ridden them. Claiming you don’t get a giant advantage is laughable. If you’re sucking that much wind going up hill on an ebike you probably wouldn’t even consider going up the same hill on a standard bike. #gamechanger says Cory.

brsnow

WKR
Perhaps they will change the elk101 section on fitness to ebiking. At the end of the day I pay and work to enjoy and take care of public land now and in the future. They make their living from it. We have different perspectives and agendas.

People accessing old logging roads on horseback to get into their honey holes totally cool. Those on Ebikes= villains. Got it!

brsnow

WKR
People accessing old logging roads on horseback to get into their honey holes totally cool. Those on Ebikes= villains. Got it!

well one has a motor and one doesn’t if you need help understanding the difference. Just like a motorcycle or atv compared to a horse, the horse doesn’t have a motor.

lak2004

WKR
I'm confused at the hate towards e-bikes on motorized trails? I am an opponent of them being used on non-motorized, but I don't care if you use them responsibly on motorized trails with other motorized devices.

No one knows where the elk101 crew was, so who is to say they were not on allowed trails. In Oregon, it was common to use bicycles and e-bikes behind gated logging roads as allowed.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

brsnow

WKR
I'm confused at the hate towards e-bikes on motorized trails? I am an opponent of them being used on non-motorized, but I don't care if you use them responsibly on motorized trails with other motorized devices.

No one knows where the elk101 crew was, so who is to say they were not on allowed trails. In Oregon, it was common to use bicycles and e-bikes behind gated logging roads as allowed.

the lobby and push for e-bike access to non-motorized trails is gaining steam. Promoting their use just furthers that cause.

lak2004

WKR
Outright opposing their use does not lead to consensus and further divides user groups. I'll fight tooth and nail to keep them classified as motorized, but trying to ban their use completely is going to be met with and opposite reaction from most.

brsnow

WKR
Outright opposing their use does not lead to consensus and further divides user groups. I'll fight tooth and nail to keep them classified as motorized, but trying to ban their use completely is going to be met with and opposite reaction from most.

I am not looking to ban them, I just won’t support companies promoting, selling, or producing them while the huge push to allow access to non-motorized trails is taking place.

lak2004

WKR
I am not looking to ban them, I just won’t support companies promoting, selling, or producing them while the huge push to allow access to non-motorized trails is taking place.
fair enough